Question about the VW norm 505.01 and racing oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a technical question for you.

VW TDI engine is recommended for standard unit injector 505.01.
VW says that pour oil as not meeting the standards for 505.01 it will be a problem with the injectors.

My dear.
What exactly is a standard 505.01?
What differs from high-quality full-synthetic oils?

Supposedly 505.01 standard requires that the oil was HC, or half synthetic.

I want to pour into the VW 2.0 engine after tuning 230HP BKD oil Millrs Oils CFS 5W40 :
http://www.millersoils-online.co.uk/1_Millers_frame_MOTORSPORT.htm

or CFS 5W30:

http://zmienolej.pl/index.php?page=shop....rt&Itemid=2

Please, people who know about the answer.

Can I pour the oil into the engine with unit injectors in the 2.0 TDI VW 505.01 standard requires ?

Thank you for your response.

I'm not interested in the VW list of approvals.

Looking for information on the 505.01 standard.

I want to know if I can flood the engine with injectors pumping oil without the 505.01 standard.

Next.

What characterized 505.01 standard?

Hi,
Pidziek - VW has conducted rigorous Testing for about a decade or two now - mostly with Castrol-BP

I suspect that VW 505.01 was especially concerned with:

1 - Piston cleanliess and piston ring sticking
2 - Soot dispercivity - at low and high temps
3 - Viscosity - maintenance of intended limits

Typically if you intend to overfuel an engine you need to consider the use and viscosity

505.01 was intended for the pumpe-Duse injection system with fixed oci's

the main driver is supposed to minimize camshaft wear that drives the pumpe-Duse injectors

but it has a tendency to quickly shear down then regain its viscosity with soot

There are plenty of examples of PD camshaft problems with the use of the VW required 505.01 oil. In my 06 Jetta TDI, I switched to Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT. My UOA's improved dramatically. I'm glad I did. My local friend, who had a dealer serviced Jetta (purchased at the same time) replaced his camshaft and various other parts due to excessive wear. Mine was in excellent shape when I sold the car.

While I don't know the formulation behind 505.01, the UOA's depict a rather unremarkable oil. With low levels of important wear reducing additives.

I agree on the Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT oil for the VW PD engines. There seems to be absolutely nothing remarkable about VW 505.05 oils as the camshaft failures in engines where owners have meticulously maintained their vehicles (oil changes) is dramatic.
I believe that if you own a VW diesel engine - particularly a PD (mine is a 2004 BEW PD in a New Beetle) you are on your own to find an oil that WORKS in protecting your engine. Forget VW and their requirements. Their oil list is a failure (at least insofar as the PD engines are concerned).

"Looking for information on the 505.01 standard."

It's a secret. No one actually knows. It only means VW has taken a fee to approve a particular oil. It does not even mean synthetic since the original Castrol 505.01 when I bought my PD was a synthetic blend of Group 2 and Group 3 oils, with possibly even some Group 1 thrown in. I went with a Motul 505.01 until I switched over to Mobil 1 TDT. At a little over 125K miles my cam is still good. On the the advice of my guru, I add half a can of Lubro Moly.

Originally Posted By: Boatowner
"Looking for information on the 505.01 standard."

It's a secret. No one actually knows.

Have you looked at the document I liked to above? It's not all secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back