Japanese cars from China....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never thought I'd see this - Japanese car manufacturers making and shipping cars from China:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dri...article2270111/

I know a LOT of stuff is 'made in China' these days, but I never thought we'd see tradtionally Japanese cars (Honda) folow this trend.

I thought we'd see Chinese-made cars first to compete with Japanese cars, not the chinese HELPING Japan lower there costs!

Weird.

china is just learning how to make cars better, pretty soon they could make cars better then hondas if thwy wanted to.
v

I think this is the main reason china does things cheap, they learn our engineering, get our tools, manufactutring equip, then they get skilled workers out ofpesants all while getting paid, china is not stupid

Last edited:
Makes a lot of sense to make cars in the market you are selling them, especially when that market is as big as the US or China.

There are a bunch of import issues that are avoided. Exchange rate issues on profitability. Local knowledge to make the cars more applicable for the market. These things often go beyond just the cost of making the vehicles because so much is automated anyway and so many parts that require labor are already made in low cost locations.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
... not the chinese HELPING Japan lower their costs!

Weird.

you're looking at this too narrowly; this is BUSINESS, just like so many other companies have set up factories in China to assemble their stuff.
notice the article said it's the sub-compact stuff; the cheapest stuff that has the smallest profit margins.

In china where they dont run wipers in the rain or use headlights because it lower mpg by .2% ;p

Originally Posted By: 38sho
china is just learning how to make cars better, pretty soon they could make cars better then hondas if thwy wanted to.
v

I think this is the main reason china does things cheap, they learn our engineering, get our tools, manufactutring equip, then they get skilled workers out ofpesants all while getting paid, china is not stupid

I agree the Chinese elite are not stupid, they are giving the western world (and Japan) the rope to hang themselves with.

Remember who wrote "The Art of War".

Never thought I'd see this - Japanese car manufacturers making and shipping cars from China:

Haven't many Japanese manufacturers been doing this for awhile already? Buy a consumer-grade camera for example (like a Canon point & shoot or even a Rebel) and it was probably made in China. Sure, their top of the line models are still made in Japan but not the consumer-grade stuff.

Originally Posted By: css9450

Haven't many Japanese manufacturers been doing this for awhile already? Buy a consumer-grade camera for example (like a Canon point & shoot or even a Rebel) and it was probably made in China. Sure, their top of the line models are still made in Japan but not the consumer-grade stuff.

Interestingly for a brief period of time 80s, and early 90s the Japanese made a LOT of electronic things in the USA, like TVs, stereos, ect...only around the mid 90s did they start selling out everything to China.

Well they still are Chinese cars. A collision with anything bigger than a Honda Step-thru Super Cub scooter clone and you get this:
crash_test_landwind_25810.jpg

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Well they still are Chinese cars. A collision with anything bigger than a Honda Step-thru Super Cub scooter clone and you get this:
crash_test_landwind_25810.jpg

Wow they don't have to actually go to "war" with the US all they need to do is get most 18-34 y/o US males into their rolling "death traps" LOL

How many Canon, Sony and Nikon cameras are coming from China these days? Why do you think cars would be immune?

...well, it sorta figures that those companies needed 'cheaper' alternatives SINCE Japan just suffered probably the worst disaster since the tsunami of the end of 2004 in the Indian Ocean.

Glad we got one of the Japanese-made Fits while they still made them there.

I wonder if American Honda will do the same thing to the US Fits. I bet likely.

And this male who's between the ages of 18-34 already purchased a domestic nameplate car assembled in Ohio from many US-made parts. Some of us value our lives.

Idk call me weird but I think I am one of the few people under 21 who actually care about the safety of a car when I buy it, it can turn me totally away from a car no matter the deal it is...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Looks ugly.
What car and what impact speed?

Brilliance BS6S. about 40 mph
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/22/brilliance-bs6s-adac-crash-test-is-anything-but/
Some of the name is accurate. The "Brilliance"? Not so much

Originally Posted By: 91344George

Wow they don't have to actually go to "war" with the US all they need to do is get most 18-34 y/o US males into their rolling "death traps" LOL

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 38sho
v

Korea did it first.

Advertise globally for power stations, on the proviso that the manufacture is done in country...processes, engineers, drawings and processes are then done in the country, then all of a sudden, those techniques and designs are appearing on the market...it's China's turn now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back