Ford 4.6 oil capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it may have gone to 6 qts from 5 when they went to 5w-20 and the PI heads in the Panther bodies.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
I think it may have gone to 6 qts from 5 when they went to 5w-20 and the PI heads in the Panther bodies.

I think you are correct.The PI heads were installed from 99 on,I think.

Capacity started at 6 quarts on the 97+ F150 trucks with the 4.6. 5w30 was still the specified viscosity at that time. No change with PI heads either.

My ex 97 CVPI and my current 02 take 5 qts. My 03 Sport takes 6 qts due to redesigned oil pan, that's the year they installed alum front suspension/R&P steering. Installation of PI heads didn't impact oil capacity, they were installed 2001+ in the Panthers.

PI = Police Interceptor special heads (KIDDING!)
PI = Performance Improved

Whoops! Typo. I meant to write my '95 Grand Marquis takes 5 (five) quarts according the manual. I think around '99 or 2000 they upped the capacity to 6 quarts.

PI heads are either "Performance Improved" or "Power Improved"
depending on who you talk to. They brought the non-mustang applications from 215HP to 237HP(ish). Some police cars (I think 04 and up) went up to around 250, but they had the marauder air box and MAF. The Crown Vics never got the Mustang spec cams, so never hit 260HP like the GT Mustangs.

DISCLAIMER- I drove Crown Vics for many years as a police officer, and have never personally owned a Ford 4.6L engine, although I worked on my former in-laws vehicles to include a '95 Lincoln, '03 Marquis and '03 Lincoln that had the 4.6. I have had a '92 Crown Vic, a '95, a '96, a '98, and a 2000 assigned as patrol vehicles in my career (which I pressed pause on as far as law-enforcement goes in 2008). Great engines, great vehicles. I would love to have one, but am by no means an expert in all that is Ford....see my sig

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Since its introduction in 1991,has the oil capacity of the 4.6 Ford modular engine changed at all,in any vehicle it was installed in?

From 5 qts to 6 qts in 2003 model year for Panthers.
Trucks are different though. They made them 6 qts for F-150 in the late 1990s, I think it was 1997 model year, but do not quote me on this.

As already stated, the car pans went to 6qt in '03 when the chassis was revised and steering changed to rack & pinion...

I was told that oil capacity on the Crown Vics/Grand Marquis changed when they went to rack & pinion steering. From personal experience I can report that Mom's 1994 Grand Marquis was 5 qt capacity, & her 2008 Crown Vic takes 6 qts.

My 4.6 '02 F150's 'published' fill is 6 1/8 quarts.

And I've noticed the dipstick is tad low with 6 quarts on the nose.

The capacity of the oil pan never changed. It was always six quarts however the length of the dipstick did change. I have a 2000 mustang gt with the 4.6 and performance improved heads.

My 99 4.6 Merc [with Performance Package] took 5.5 to make it full even though it was supposed to take only 5 quarts..My 05 4.6 Vic takes 6 quarts and it is right on the full mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back