Fords TSB Against Installing a Magnefine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beastly 302- I wish I had seen your post back in February... good info and a bedlated thanks for it.

Modular- What you describe is the exact same situation Ford faced in the 1990s when they went with the inline filters in the first place. My inside info was that they adopted the filter because the flushing wasn't getting done properly (or at all) by lazy or "flat-rater" techs. The stats were that the Magnefine brought their warranty claims on remain transmissions down from significant double digits to single digits.

What you say makes perfect sense from a technical standpoint, re a filter plugged by a contaminant overload, but what's different today vs yesterday? Ditto for the fluid lines.. but again that comes back to the tech doing the work. Since Ford can't watch over every shoulder at every dealer, I guess they just have to figure out the best ways to get a job done with all the inefficiencies in the system. Plus,maybe the flushing machines are better now.. .and a new cooler really does solve most of the problems. And new/ reman transmissions are coming out cleaner these days due to better systems as well. Doesn't change the need for better filtration in automatics, IMO, but those improvements are here too, with 40u pleated media and such in pan filters.

Anyway, good post.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Theres no TSB, there was a notice to dealers that inline filters would not be provided with reman trans assemblies anymore. The filters were provided so prevent contamination from debris still in the cooler or cooler lines. They now say to either replace the cooler and flush the lines, or completely flush and backflush the cooling system with the Rotunda heated fluid flusher

This is 100% correct

My Very well know tranny builder ( BTS ) also advises not to use inline filters of any kind. Anyone that will warranty my trans for unlimited milage and unlimited HP I trust.

When we build any level of trans a new cooler and lines are installed. There is no option for anything else

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
what's different today vs yesterday?

Time. I know Ford did field tests, but now they have enough data to re-evaluate the contamination issue. They probably found, as you mentioned, poor quality work by technicians. In-line filter installation issues leading to fluid leakage and more warranty claims. I believe Ford's goal is to minimize the "uncontrollable" variances that take place with the in-line filter installation procedure. I also think they may have found large variances in the amount of system contamination between transmission failures. Some too great to be handled by an inline filter. It is cheaper to replace the cooler and flush the lines than to get additional warranty claims in the long-run. The closer they can get the initial warranty claim to the original system design, the better off Ford will be.

I had my Navigator 4r100 Tranny replaced a few months back by a Ford dealer. After going around and around on should I use a Magnefine or not, the consensus was no. Ford dealer told me its not necessary. I checked with several independent tranny shops and all but one does not install a filter with a rebuilt tranny. I did have one shop recommend a Magnefine for the first 5k miles, then take it out. I'm just going to drop the pan and then do a fluid exchange at 5k. Add two bottles of lubeguard red and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back