Chainsaws - which ones are good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To my knowledge Oregon doesn't make chainsaws, they make accessories like chains and bars. They are a good brand though and do supply some OEMs with parts.

A Craftsman saw is likely going to be a Husqvarna product, but there's no telling without knowing the model number. Sears sources manufacturers from all over...for example, MTD and Husqvarna both produce different models of lawnmowers with the Craftsman name even though they are competing companies.

Another question.

Why do lumber jacks make offset cuts to fall a tree? When I am in the mountains I see tree stumps where one cut is made almost half way through, then another cut is made, from the other side, about 4 inches above or below the other cut. Is that to cause the tree to fall in a certain direction, or is it just the lumberjacks flipping the saw around and holding it at the same height?

Originally Posted By: Loobed

Another question.

Why do lumber jacks make offset cuts to fall a tree? When I am in the mountains I see tree stumps where one cut is made almost half way through, then another cut is made, from the other side, about 4 inches above or below the other cut. Is that to cause the tree to fall in a certain direction, or is it just the lumberjacks flipping the saw around and holding it at the same height?

It helps you "steer" where the tree falls and prevents the tree from putting pressure on your bar and chain.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Loobed

Another question.

It helps you "steer" where the tree falls and prevents the tree from putting pressure on your bar and chain.

Yes this is true for any cut when weight will clamp onto the blade. Also a slow fall gives time for the lumberjacks to move.

But also when sawing large trees the extreme weight can cause the wood to splinter unpredictably. By gaping the cut this will reduce flying splinters....a very important safety measure considering the mere weight and strength on heavy cuts. Safety measures for the chainsaw operator.

Here's a vote for Shindaiwa, I had a Stihl but felt it was just too hard starting and I have shoulder issues. Could well have been my fault but the Shindaiwa 446s starts every time after a few pulls.Fast cutting,comfotable, good saw control and pretty good vibration control. Dealers are hard to find though.

Shindaiwa is actually an Echo company geared more towards commercial users. Dealers are hard to find, but that may be less of an issue since you can probably find a lot of info and parts online.

One downside to Stihl is that you have to go to a dealer for everything because they don't publish parts lists. Not the case with most other brands, especially not Echo/Shindaiwa.

I once rented a Shindaiwa trimmer and it was first class - extremely smooth, powerful and easy starting. I didn't know they were in the Echo family, but the performance is certainly similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back