Which motor oil should I go with in my 06' FX35?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 06'Infiniti FX35 recommends 5w-30 so I've always used Mobil 1 EP 5w-30, but recently went with M1 advanced fuel economy 0w-30, didn't see a difference whatsoever. So I'm probably going back if I decide not to try something new. I'm hearing really good things about royal purple and amsoil 5w-30. So I'm contemplating on going with one of those. Is anyone familiar with the two?

BTW Costco has on sale right now 3/1 gal of Chevron Delo 400 Motor Oil SAE 15W-40 for $35 (link below). Would that be an efficient motor oil for the FX35 in Winter?
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11484508&whse=BD_115&topnav=bd&cat=25250&hierPath=77861*&lang=en-US

here's an 03' G35 running on Delo 400 15w40:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=226879

All help is greatly appreciated
Thanks!

That uoa was from 2003 -pretty much when the 3.5 made its first appearance. Having said that many think the 3.5 like the 40wt oils -T6 being a favorite on some nissan forums

I have the same engine in my Altima (VQ35DE) so I can offer you my advice based on my experiences.

This engine heats up the oil very quickly, even in cold weather. That is probably why you did not notice any fuel economy increase since the M1 0W30 provides the most fuel economy benefit during warm up, and obviously a much greater effect on engines that take long to heat up the oil.

My owner's manual states that this engine can run 30 or 40
weight oils. I've run all kinds of different variations of those grades, including 15W40. I would not choose this grade if I were you because the timing chain tensioner takes longer to fully tension the chain at cold start up. I would recommend any xW30 oil, or any 0W40 / 5W40 synthetic. This engine can run high oil temps in short order when pushed, even for short bursts. If you drive hard or pull heavy loads, go with one of the 40 grades. Otherwise your current choice will serve you well.

Hope this helps.

You can always do a 50/50 blend of the Chevron Delo, 15w-40 and some Chevron Full Synthetic 5w-30.

You'll get the benefits of both the Dino Diesel and Synthetic in a blend that you can't buy anywhere.

The car in the link did well.

I think an oil change takes 5 quarts so mix the Delo jug and a bottle of 5w-20 Chevron Supreme.

Well I've been pricing all of these and I'm really tempted to do the Chevron Delo mix with Chevron Supreme. So is 50/50 safe for winter? Or as Jorton said 1gal (4qt) of Delo mixed with 1qt of Chevron Supreme 5w-20 is perfect?

Thanks for all the help everyone

I`d go with a good gasoline 40 weight. Maybe M1 0W40 or RP 10W40 (you mentioned you wanted to try RP).

I run Valvoline SynPower 5W30 in our 2010 Altima V6, changed every 3,000 miles or less. 40wt may be recommended but is not needed.

Originally Posted By: Mako3
My 06'Infiniti FX35 recommends 5w-30 so I've always used Mobil 1 EP 5w-30, but recently went with M1 advanced fuel economy 0w-30, didn't see a difference whatsoever. So I'm probably going back if I decide not to try something new. I'm hearing really good things about royal purple and amsoil 5w-30. So I'm contemplating on going with one of those. Is anyone familiar with the two?

BTW Costco has on sale right now 3/1 gal of Chevron Delo 400 Motor Oil SAE 15W-40 for $35 (link below). Would that be an efficient motor oil for the FX35 in Winter?
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11484508&whse=BD_115&topnav=bd&cat=25250&hierPath=77861*&lang=en-US

here's an 03' G35 running on Delo 400 15w40:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=226879

All help is greatly appreciated
Thanks!

Use a few things as your baseline(s)!

1)What Nissan Recomends
2)The Mobil 1 EP 5W30 you're currently using
3)Go from there and try other oils to see what the engine seems to like best, i.e. (UOA)Used Oil Analysis or (SOTP)Seat Of The Pants/what you like

Last edited:
My dad has the VQ35DE in his G35, and my mom has the VQ35HR in her EX35.

The G35 has been fed M1 5w30 or Pennzoil Plat 5w30 since its first change. It has about 80k and runs like a champ. The EX35 has been getting Castrol Syntec 0w30 for the first 10k, though I think we're going to switch to PP 5w30 to keep things simple.

Unless you are really beating on that motor, any quality 5w30 synthetic will do well. I wouldn't bother with the M1 0w40 unless you are racing the car or really driving it hard and fast. My folks had an Infiniti I30t (VQ30DE, basically a Maxima with 5 more HP) and it got M1 5w30 for its 90k life. Ran perfectly when we sold it 10 years later.

Originally Posted By: dparm

The G35 has been fed M1 5w30 or Pennzoil Plat 5w30 since its first change. It has about 80k and runs like a champ. The EX35 has been getting Castrol Syntec 0w30 for the first 10k, though I think we're going to switch to PP 5w30 to keep things simple.

Unless you are really beating on that motor, any quality 5w30 synthetic will do well. I wouldn't bother with the M1 0w40 unless you are racing the car or really driving it hard and fast. My folks had an Infiniti I30t (VQ30DE, basically a Maxima with 5 more HP) and it got M1 5w30 for its 90k life. Ran perfectly when we sold it 10 years later.

Do you find the G35 (2003+) burns oil like the maxima (02+) ? I would be curious to know if indeed the Max has a tendancy to be more oil burning.

On a side note: I WISH I could have found a G35 sedan 6speed and I settled on a Maxima....REALLY wanting RWD...

FWIW... I have a 03 G35, and it burned the least amount of oil with GC 0w-30... maybe half a quart every 5000 miles or so..
it's what I use in the winter due to the 0w rating (it's in my head)... it starts up when I leave the car airport for 3 weeks in freezing temperatures as if the engine is warm.. i don't know how that works.. The Castrol Edge made this horrible noise during a blizzard after work once, and I had to shut of the engine right away.. Don't use the Edge.

I was also fine using M1 5w-30 EP.. it bured about a quart every 7000 miles.. (what i use in the summer)

but whatever you do.. try not to use Castrol Edge 5w-30 (the gold bottle).. i couldn't figure out why i burned so much oil with that one.. about a quart for 4000 miles..

Well I've been pricing all of these and I'm really tempted to do the Chevron Delo mix with Chevron Supreme. So is 50/50 safe for winter? Or as Jorton said 1gal (4qt) of Delo mixed with 1qt of Chevron Supreme 5w-20 is perfect?

I appreciate everyone helping out, but what if I were to mix both Chevron delo and supreme like mentioned above?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: needsducktape

Do you find the G35 (2003+) burns oil like the maxima (02+) ? I would be curious to know if indeed the Max has a tendancy to be more oil burning.

On a side note: I WISH I could have found a G35 sedan 6speed and I settled on a Maxima....REALLY wanting RWD...

His car burns almost no oil between changes. Only some of the early "HR" versions (manual 2005-6 manual G35s, 350Z, G35 coupe, etc) had this issue.

My mom's EX35 burns none either.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape

His car burns almost no oil between changes. Only some of the early "HR" versions (manual 2005-6 manual G35s, 350Z, G35 coupe, etc) had this issue.

My mom's EX35 burns none either.

That makes me wonder about people claiming it to be "bad rings" -When really it could be more of a plumbing design issue that leads to oil burning. I could be wrong...but if different models burn less or more YET the engine is the same -Wouldn't it make sense it has more to do with the layout of the engine plumbing?

I just bought the 03 Max last week and I am only beginning the reading process...

Last edited:

I appreciate everyone helping out, but what if I were to mix both Chevron delo and supreme like mentioned above?

Thanks

To answer your question directly...

In my opinion, I would NOT use anything resembling a 15W40 for the winter. I would not even use a 15W40 / 5W30 blend for the winter.

If you want to use the Delo 15W40 in the summer, go for it. Even if you don't mix it with anything, it will be fine. But I cannot recommend it for winter use given my experience with it in this engine. Use a 0W30, 5W30, 0W40, or 5W40 for the winter.

With so many quality 5w30s and such out there, why do you think you need a 15w40? You could run a good 5w30 year round and get excellent results.

As for the consumption, every motor is a bit different. Nissan did make some design changes to remedy the higher percentage of oil burners in later years. As long as the consumption level is consistent, I would not lose much sleep over it.

I have second 'don't use the 15w40, its spec'd for diesels with lots of detergent. High levels of detergent are not good for spark ignition vehicles. The issue with the timing chain tensioner should not be ignored. Remember you are considering the hydraulic not lubrication property of the oil. GM had big time issues with hydraulic tensioners on the ecotec motors. Lose the tension and you can say goodbye to the valves.

I wouldn't worry about the detergency thing. There are countless folks here using Rotella T6 in gasoline motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back