Lug nut hex size matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada,North America,Western Hemisphere,Earth,Milk
My winter steel wheels on my Tundra have a different type of seating than the OEM Alloys. The new lugs which I purchased obviously have the same thread size but it is a 19mm as opposed to the 22mm OEM nuts. Does this make any difference at all? Are thicker nuts heavier duty?

The strength of the nut is going to be in the material itself, not in how thick it is. Assuming they're coming from a reputable dealer, I wouldn't lose a second's sleep over it.

the main thing is remember to bring the right lug nuts for your spare and tools for both size lug nuts.

I keep a 8$ breaker bar from harbor freight with 19 and 21mm sockets for that purpose. I "THINK" in my case the the aftermarket lugnuts would be ok with the spare but its not hard to carry the lugnuts in my emergency bag once I got them not to rattle.

I long ago upgraded my Camry to 15x7 alloys. When I recently upgraded the brakes to those form an ES300) my son -bless his pointy head - asked of the spare, the stock 14 inch rim, would fit over the new brakes. It didn't. Got a 15 inch spare in there now. BTW the bigger ES 300 front brakes are a bolt on...same hub.

What is the thread size of your wheel studs? If they're M12 or M14, then 146 ft/lbs seems a little excessive. Is that the Toyota spec for lug nut torque? I know Ford only specs 100 ft/lbs for their M12/M14 wheel studs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back