New Pennzoil ULTRA PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOACK and MRV look great. According to an XOM doc from a couple years ago, their projection was for GTL to arrive at the end of 2010. Maybe this is it, although some aspects seem odd in relation to others.

PS: I emailed them about ACEA a couple days ago, and atypically didn't get any response. Nice to see this.

Last edited:
For some this will be hard to take but if it is true we have a winner!! And we should all be glad as the others will copy and we will gain alot. Love when we move on, something that does not seem to happen much these days. IMHO Time will tell but it is very interesting very.

Originally Posted By: LineArrayNut
looks like that pearl gtl is the real thing; this noack is as good as redline's esters, eh?

The Noack volatility for GTL is similar to PAO and both are much higher than esters.

Typical Noack volatility for 4 cSt base oils:

Group III = 14-15%
PAO = 11-14%
GTL = 12-13%
POE = 6%

Tom NJ

The Noack could be a mistake. When Valvoline released the PDS for SN Synpower, it listed a NOACK of 7 for 5W-30 but later corrected it

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks, Tom NJ. So, what do make of these new PU Noack numbers? Too good to be true?

They do look unusually low - I don't know of any available hydrocarbon base oil chemistry that can achieve those Noacks in low viscosity motor oils, so I believe it may be an error. Noack for Dexron ATFs are run at 200C instead of 250C, so maybe someone mixed apples with oranges. JMO.

Tom NJ

There have been some news releases this past November by Shell regarding reformulation of Pennzoil Ultra. They are positioning it above M1 by claiming it outperforms M1. The new PU pds looks like the original M1 formulation from the late 90's.

Well here is the email i got back from pennzoil. I asked them if the values were indeed correct and what temperature the test was done at.

------

Dear Colin,

Based on the data, yes, they are correct. As for the Noack test, it
is done at ASTD D5800 at 250C.

Regards,
Technical Service, sn

Originally Posted By: dakota99
Well here is the email i got back from pennzoil. I asked them if the values were indeed correct and what temperature the test was done at.

------

Dear Colin,

Based on the data, yes, they are correct. As for the Noack test, it
is done at ASTD D5800 at 250C.

Regards,
Technical Service, sn

250C is the standard temperature for the ASTM D5800 (a,b,c) test.

Impressive.

Now, if only they'd honor my rebate request I may have found my new extended drain oil of choice.
21.gif

Saw jugs of it at walmart the other night, need to go back and look closely for the dexos sticker?

Last edited:
Mobil 1 when it was "PAO" based. Product Data Sheet (1995)
Compare to Pennzoil Ultra GF-5

Mobil 1 SAE 5W-30
Viscosity 40C 57 cSt
100C 9.9 cSt
Viscosity Index 161
Viscosity after shear, @ 100C 9.6 cSt
HTHS ASTM Viscosity 3.3 cSt
CCS Viscosity (cP at -25C) 2900
MRV (cP at -30C) 6200/-35C
Noack Volatility Loss wt % 8.0
Flash Point, oC ASTM D92 230C
Pour Point, oC ASTM D97 <-54C

Originally Posted By: modularv8
Mobil 1 when it was "PAO" based. Product Data Sheet (1995)
Compare to Pennzoil Ultra GF-5

Mobil 1 SAE 5W-30
Viscosity 40C 57 cSt
100C 9.9 cSt
Viscosity Index 161
Viscosity after shear, @ 100C 9.6 cSt
HTHS ASTM Viscosity 3.3 cSt
CCS Viscosity (cP at -25C) 2900
MRV (cP at -30C) 6200/-35C
Noack Volatility Loss wt % 8.0
Flash Point, oC ASTM D92 230C
Pour Point, oC ASTM D97

That's impressive past M1 data.

The P.D.S. for the SHELL full synthetic , semi-synthetic , and conventional are all the same . What's up with that ? Not sure if anyone could put much faith in the info supplied for other SOPUS oils .

Originally Posted By: odie
The T.D.S. for the SHELL full synthetic , semi-synthetic , and conventional are all the same . What's up with that ? Not sure if anyone could put much faith in the info supplied for other SOPUS oils .
Here's the technical data sheets of the SHELL SN conventional ( http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003596609_201007092218.pdf ) , semi-syn ( http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003596106_201007081915.pdf ) , and full synthetic ( http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003596072_201007081811.pdf ) motor oils for the U.S.. All look the same , unless I'm missing something . Using the SN full synthetic 5w-20 in the '08 YARIS sedan and there's close to 3,000 miles on it . Seems to be doing fine . Very little engine noise and doesn't look to be burning any oil . Run finger in tailpipe on occasion . No soot thus far . Plan on getting an U.O.A. for it through Blackstone when it nears 4,500+ miles .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back