Deutz UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a UOA for our 5240 Gehl skidsteer with a Deutz engine. I'm not sure the model on the engine but it is water cooled and has an EGR system. The skidsteer was new in the summer of '10 and now has 3011 hours on it. The sump takes about 8 quarts of oil and I add a bottle of Lubro-Moly. I used 15w-40 Service Pro engine oil and did a 511 hour OCI. I adjusted the remote mount filter so I could fit a Fleetguard with a microglass filter media. I took the sample from the filter.

Iron 40
Chrm 1
Alum 3
Sili 3
Sod 5
Moly 30
Bor 7
Mag 809
Calc 1224
Phos 1064
Zinc 1234

Fuel Soot .2%
H20 Vis 14.8
TBN 6.36
Oxid 12
Nit 16

I'm doing an oil change like every 3 months right now and I think I might try and increase the OCI to 750 hours and take another sample then.

On a "per mile" (aka per hour) basis, I'd say this is very good.
No Cu Pb Tn?

Once again Service Pro does well by your equipment. 750 hours should be no problem. TBN is strong. What fuel (LSD or ULSD?)

Yeah, I was really surprised. Cu, Pb, Tn were all zeros. We use ULSD. I don't think we could even get the other any longer. Three or four years ago, when I started working on the family farm again, we had a lot of issues with algae plugging up the fuel filters on those large pieces of equipment that sit all winter because there isn't enough sulfur in the fuel to keep it from growing anymore. Now every winter before we put things away I fill the tank and add a biocide to kill that stuff off and it does seem to be helping a lot.

By using ULSD, and with such strong TBN results, I'd say 750 is a no-brainer, and longer is possible. Soot is very low, too.

You clearly have plenty of threads regarding all your equipment; your maintenance programs are working for you. You're using UOAs for all the right reasons, and not as "toys" for playing with. I'd say you can improve your ROI in this rig with this oil by upping the hours from 500 to 750 (a 50% increase). From there, even more might be possible, but only another UOA will show that.

I don't know what condemnation levels you've selected, but the soot and TBN and wear metals are not going to be what cut you off any time soon with this loader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back