History Channel Vietnam in HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone missed this series or just wants to see it again, it can be seen on Xfinity Cable On Demand for free by clicking on TV Series.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
How could the video footage be "HD"?

Even 16mm film (I'd wager that footage from wartime would be mostly 16mm. I say this as a man who has tried to shoulder-mount a 35mm camera or two in my day.) is higher-def than the current 1080 or 720 standards. Of course, film doesn't have "pixels" so a direct comparison is out of the question; but I remember reading some research that postulated that a standard 35mm frame can sport ~4000 distinguishable "pixels". Most 35mm film in Hollywood is scanned at either 2000 lines or 4000 for big budget films.

It's still going to be a good few years before video resolution can catch up to decades-old film.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
HD video from the original film?

They like to call anything enhanced today as 'HD'. It draws attention. I've even heard it used on radio stations.
I believe what they did was transfer the original film footage onto hi def film. It is grainy at times but improved over the original and will will the screen of HD TV's. They may have done some cropping as well to intensify the subject matter.

The radio stations that say this I think are beginning to *stop* using lossy compression and may be using 24 bit audio. Technically, anything greater than the (~96dB) dynamic range of (CD quality) 16-bit 44.1KHz audio and 480i video is "HD".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back