Mobil 10w40 HM (SN) // 3,379mi OCI // 2002 BMW 525

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is my third UOA for this vehicle; the second with M1 10w40 HM. The first was with SM, this is SN. The ad-packs differ slightly, but the results were the same. Good wear numbers and it was still a 40-weight when removed. Nothing too exciting here, but it's another data point. I refilled with M1 0w40 for the winter months.

(All values not shown are < 5 ppm)

Iron - 11
Moly - 73
Boron - 72
Calcium 1549
Magnesium - 533
Phos - 853
Zinc - 945

kV@100C - 13.56 cSt
Flashpoint - 400F
Fuel - < 0.5%
Insoluables - 0.3%

Originally Posted By: dparm
I'd be inclined to run the 0w40 year-round.

+1 and on a longer OCI...

Two reasons for the short OCI (1) I've owned this car less than a year and believe the previous owner probably went over 15k for OCIs, and (2) the weather is getting colder, so I took advantage of a recent warm weekend to change the oil.

I'm using HM in the warmer months to see if it helps my oil leaks (vanos lines, filter housing). It didn't. I have 12qts of M1 10w40 HM SL in the garage, so I'll go back to it next spring.

I think the SL M1 10W40HM seemed to run smoother,but it may be all in my head. The SN has a lowered zddp level also.

Originally Posted By: Matt_N
I'm using HM in the warmer months to see if it helps my oil leaks (vanos lines, filter housing). It didn't.

That's too bad. I was thinking of giving it a try in hopes of reducing my leaks as well.

It is too bad HM couldn't help the leaks, but I think they're beyond the help of what oil can do. Still, it's worth a try in your motor.

Originally Posted By: JAG
I hear about leaks in BMW engines fairly often. Do they use [censored] gaskets that don't last?

For the most part, yes. I had my valve cover gasket replaced at 45K miles because it was leaking. Then I had my oil filter housing gasket replaced at 62K. Now at 78K I think it's the oil pan gasket that seeping a bit... nothing major though... just a few drops of oil on the garage floor now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back