0W20 instead of 5W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello gents and ladies here on BITOG, and I was wondering; could I use Mobil 1 0W20 instead of 5W20 in my 03' civic? I have mostly highway driving with very little city/stop and go driving.

thank you in advance,

Adam

Thanks Buster, and Radman, my car specifies 5W20, but after reading up some here, I think I may be ok going to 0W20 Mobil 1. Buster; does mobil have 0W20 in Extended Performance?

thanks for the info and replies guys.

Originally Posted By: civic09
Thanks Buster, and Radman, my car specifies 5W20, but after reading up some here, I think I may be ok going to 0W20 Mobil 1. Buster; does mobil have 0W20 in Extended Performance?

I'm not Buster but, no M1 0w20 EP, at least not yet.................

Thank you for this info Demarpaint. I didnt know this.

thanks

adam

Anyone here know if 0w20 made by any oil company is synthetic, or is it a syn blend or conventional?

Mobil 1 in the 0W-xx weights is now marketed (at least in the US) as AFE (Advanced Fuel Economy).
Between their 5W-20 and 0W-20, they are rated the same when warm (the "20") and the 0W is not as thick when cold (which is a good thing).
The 0W-xx oils require higher quality base stocks than the 5W-xx oils.
Many see the 0W-xx and think that it is thinner at operating temperatures (when the motor is warmed up).
That is NOT true.

If you look at the comparison chart Mobil has up on their website, the 0w20 and 0w30 have better high temperature protection. I don't know why, but it's on the same level as the EP stuff. It was even stated in a Lube mag by an XOM rep that the AFE oils are on the same quality level as the EP line. The EP oil are still better for longer drains though.

Thanks guys for the info. Buster, could I go wrong using Mobil 1 0w20 AFE for like 7-8 oci?

thanks for the learning experiencing and sharing your knowledge folks.

adam vasbinder in PGH

Thanks guys for the info. Buster, could I go wrong using Mobil 1 0w20 AFE for like 7-8 oci?

thanks for the learning experiencing and sharing your knowledge folks.

adam vasbinder in PGH

I started useing M1 0-20 in both 4 cyl. Duratechs about a year ago. Our own"FISSKER pretty much convinced me to try it. He has put up to 300K on mid 90s engines with it. As you can see I do 10K OCIs with no problems with this oil.

Thanks for the reply tig1, and I may get some friday since I am going to change the oil in the Civic fri or sat.

thanks again

adam

p.s. I dont understand what you mean by "our own FISSKER". Sorry if I am dumb or dont know.

Thanks for the reply tig1, and I may get some friday since I am going to change the oil in the Civic fri or sat.

thanks again

adam

p.s. I dont understand what you mean by "our own FISSKER". Sorry if I am dumb or dont know.

FISSKER is a long time member here that has used M1 0-20 in some engines that have called for 30wt oil. He tows a professional ski boat on a circut every summer and the 0-20 takes a betting as he uses it in a van for his business.

@ NICK R

5w20 oil has less film and shear strength than a 5w30, 10w30 or a 0w30 motor oil. This can lead to increased engine wear under today's demanding heat and high-stress engine performance conditions." Honda specs 5w20 oil because is a lighter viscosity than a 5w30 oil and therefore has less internal engine frictional losses, or less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valve-train. This decrease in frictional power loss promotes increased fuel economy. This increased fuel economy is virtually undetectable to the average consumer without the use of specialized engine monitoring and testing equipment when compared to a 5w30, 10w30 or a 0w30 viscosity motor oil."

Originally Posted By: buster
Yes. Their 0w20 is a better oil than the regular M1 5w20.

In what ways is the 0w20 better?
Higher VII? Better fuel economy?

My Toyota dealer uses it in my two vehicles and I run them at 10k mile or one year intervals. This is quite ordinary and nothing to be concerned about.

Originally Posted By: semaj281
Originally Posted By: buster
Yes. Their 0w20 is a better oil than the regular M1 5w20.

In what ways is the 0w20 better?
Higher VII? Better fuel economy?

Better fuel economy.

Im running 0w20 on my 2010 civic 1.8L that requires 5w20.. Planning on running 0w20 all year round since it flows better on cold start and from what ive read here.. engine wear usually occurs at cold start so having an oil that flows better on cold start would be better i think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back