NAPA Synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone and I am new to this site, and was wondering if I could use NAPA synthetic 5w20 for my Civic with the 1.7l 4cyl. My brother uses this in his 05' acura without issue and goes 8k oci with it.

thank you in advance

of course.. it's mfgr'd by Ashland oil which makes Valvoline.

Make sure you use a quality oil filter (no fram).

Is this the same Civic in your signature that has 127500 miles? If you've been using the 5w-20 weight all along, or at least for a majority of its life, I don't see it being a problem.
Also, that NAPA synthetic won't offer much more protection than the PYB you've been using.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EricF

I've heard good things about the Fram Extraguard filters. And a lot of folks use the cheaper Fram products with no issues.

On the surface it appears to be rebadged Valvoline Synpower. I wouldn't use it for extended drains but for 5,000 mile OCIs it should be fine.

Back when i had my Civic i used only Fram X2 filters. 90K when i traded it in with no issues. I believe now their extended guard.

+1 Napa IS rebadged Valvoline, and the FRAM FILTER'S OCD (Orange Can of Death) are not highly thought of on this site by many, although ive seen nothing to prove Frams higher end filter's arent quality products.

I did not realize that this synthetic is nothing more than aa rebadged Valvoline "Synpower". In the past I found Valvoline to be a good oil to use so anyone wondering about this oil should not be worried at all.

Durango

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
+1 Napa IS rebadged Valvoline

We know it's manufactured by Ashland, but didn't a VOA show it to have a slightly different add-pack?

Well, I've been running it in the Cobalt since May (at about 4.2k miles) with no issues to report.

This is some good stuff....

The only oil I ever had break down on me was Valvoline. 1,500 miles of almost all highway. The engine was knocking and ticking to beat the band. I thought I might have a punctured oil pan or something. I pulled the dipstick and the oil just dripped off like water. I changed it (to Quaker state if i remember correctly) and never had a problem again. That WAS 20+ years ago but I like what I am using now. I'm not about to try Valvoline again to see if it improved. With my luck I'll get the one bad batch again... I'm really liking the Kendall Syn right now.

Originally Posted By: civic09
Hello everyone and I am new to this site, and was wondering if I could use NAPA synthetic 5w20 for my Civic with the 1.7l 4cyl. My brother uses this in his 05' acura without issue and goes 8k oci with it.

NAPA Synthetic has a bit-weaker add-pack than Valvoline synthetic. The base oil is the same.

You can get Quaker State synthetic for about the same price at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: semaj281

I've heard good things about the Fram Extraguard filters. And a lot of folks use the cheaper Fram products with no issues.

Fram Extra Guards are their basic junk filter. It is the Fram XtendedGuard filters that are worth buying.
Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
+1 Napa IS rebadged Valvoline

We know it's manufactured by Ashland, but didn't a VOA show it to have a slightly different add-pack?

The SM stuff was definitely significantly different from SynPower. I assume that the SN is as well. It has far less detergents in it.

Thank you gents. I plan to keep using the PYB 5W20 for 5500-6k oci's. I only use WIX filters also. I did use some champion PH 2867 filters and I have about 12 left that my work place was going to throw out. I have used PYB since I bought the car off a older couple, and the mileage was 40k when I got it.

adam

Originally Posted By: johnachak
The only oil I ever had break down on me was Valvoline. 1,500 miles of almost all highway. The engine was knocking and ticking to beat the band. I thought I might have a punctured oil pan or something. I pulled the dipstick and the oil just dripped off like water. I changed it (to Quaker state if i remember correctly) and never had a problem again. That WAS 20+ years ago but I like what I am using now. I'm not about to try Valvoline again to see if it improved. With my luck I'll get the one bad batch again... I'm really liking the Kendall Syn right now.

I experienced this same problem with Penzoil on my last OCI.. weird. I wrote on it in another thread.

I will NEVER USE VALVOLINE at all. My father had this problem using VWB 10W40. He now uses pennzoil YB. I hate that valvoline uses sodium also.

I will NEVER USE VALVOLINE at all. My father had this problem using VWB 10W40. He now uses pennzoil YB. I hate that valvoline uses sodium also.

Many, many brands use sodium, including Mobil.

I gotcha. What brands of oil dont use sodium? I was reading up some articles about cooling systems and sodium and stuff about this. Help educate me on this guys,

thanks

adam

I gotcha. What brands of oil dont use sodium? I was reading up some articles about cooling systems and sodium and stuff about this. Help educate me on this guys,

thanks

adam

Umm,
SOPUS doesn't use sodium in their oils, nor does Mobil in M1.
Mobil Super Syn does, as do most Valvoline products.
Nothing wrong with it.
The real marker for coolant in the oil is potassium, but only for those who do UOAs.
The rest would never notice a little misting from a minor head gasket leak.

Thank you fdcg27 for helping me get that straight, sorry bout that. Potassium, so now I know. Thanks again Fdcg27, sorry for any misunderstanding.

adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back