how long can a water pump last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2008 Volvo S40's water pump went out on me a few weeks ago. It has 35,000 total miles. Then last week my P/S pump went out.....dam car!

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
WOW that's awful new and low miles for issues like that. Volvo used to be indestructible did something change?

I'm pretty sure they've been below average since the late nineties.

That's sad my buddy has and 88 740 I think. And it was tough wot neutral drops mud pits it never broke that car was built like a rock .

Water pump on my 04 Subaru Legacy (EJ251, SOHC 2.5L) lasted about 72,000 miles. I came home and heard a gushing noise and smelled coolant real bad, looked underneath and it was dumping coolant out the bottom. Replaced the water pump, timing belt, and timing belt tensioner then 2k miles later it needed head gaskets as well as upper and lower radiator hoses.

103k miles on my 02 Ford Mustang GT (4.6L) on the stock pump and it doesn't even leak.

WOW that's awful new and low miles for issues like that. Volvo used to be indestructible did something change?

Ford/Mazda, cost cutting.

Still great cars, but nothing like what they were.

Last edited:
Since the early 80's I have owned nothing but 5.0 and 4.6 Panthers..All cars had between 200-330K miles on them before I sold them..All cars had the original water pump till the end.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm

Ford/Mazda, cost cutting.

Still great cars, but nothing like what they were.

Also, it didn't help that they went to FWD in the 1990s.

Having RWD reduced many possible problems. It was one reason why in the 1980s, Volvos had above average reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back