Just how dangerous is Lucas Oil Stabilizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lucas stuff is mainly harmful to your wallet. There is no way any of us can home-brew better oil than the oil company chemists can mix up to meet a certain price point. If you want better oil, buy better oil.

That said, if you have a specific problem, a few specific products can address that problem. Kano Kreen and Marvel Mystery Oil, in separate ways, are somewhat effective in cleaning baked-in carbon from the piston ring grooves and allowing the rings to seal better. That might be a help for your oil consumption. Otherwise, use any good brand of oil of the viscosity recommended for your engine. Also, be sure your positive crankcase ventilation valve is clean and working properly; a gummed up one can also cause increased oil consumption.

I was at keystone nationals and i saw one of the top top fuel dragsters pour lucas in a 8000+HP engine!!!I use it in my 215,000 mile jeep for years with rotella 15w40!!!

Originally Posted By: bob4558
I was at keystone nationals and i saw one of the top top fuel dragsters pour lucas in a 8000+HP engine!!!I use it in my 215,000 mile jeep for years with rotella 15w40!!!

Those engines are rebuilt every pass.

If lucas sponsored the car, they probably have to use it. I keep anything lucas as far away from my car as possible

Yes I watch them R&R then fire them up nitro burns the eyes like tear gas LOL

We were behind an IHRA top fuel car at the Mopar Nationals a few years back and when the whole crowd moved because they were going to fire the car, my buddy didn't. He got a face full of Nitro. He was tasting the stuff for a week, smelling it for days, LMAO! We teased the heck out of him.

It was kenny Bernstein's Bud rail car not the lucas oil car!Maybe lucas is one of thier sponsers?

LOL

Yeah, cooked up some steak and we'd all be like "mmmmm, delicious!" and he was "mmmm, Nitro!". He's a smoker, and his cigarette's tasted like Nitro, beer like Nitro.... everything was Nitro. After a few days he started to get really freaked out about it
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Was he peing Nitro, lol.

Oh, I don't know, I'm sure he didn't either since he couldn't smell anything but Nitro, LOL

Nito is a great fuel additive! Cleans injectors or carb and putts nice holes in your pistons !LOL

Originally Posted By: hounddog
The BIG rigs don;'t use the Lucas oil treatment. They use the FUEL treatment..

Well, as one who has owned and driven "Big Rigs" for 30 years and am around other "big rig" drivers every week, I can attest that there are a lot of semi drivers out here that use LOS in their trucks. Heck, some truck lube places have more LOS on the shelf in the driver waiting area than they do any other product.

Whether it is good or bad, I have no idea. I don't and never have used the stuff in my trucks.

Curious where that link continues:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100926133335/http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000207

Obviously, the server101.com server no longer exists......but weren't all the old threads/forums "merged" to the now/current forum(s)?

Where's the talk of it
wink.gif
Other than this thread
wink.gif

We have had 2 servers since server 101 and some of the older post were lost as a result of the moves.

Originally Posted By: Big_Kat
I used it one in my old Dakota with a 318. After about 800 into the OCI the engine developed a loud whine turns out it increased the viscosity of the oil and was causing oil starvation of the cam. I no longer have that pick up now...
15.gif
cry.gif

I can relate that i had something similar occur. The engine develops a "whine" sounds like it is coming from the top end, blend in Lucas you roil is the viscosity of almost a 60 depending on what was in there and people tend to put it in thick oils, like 40 or 50 weight, Lucas is Straight 80... ... what you dont know id that the engine is running hotter than comfortable and yeah its oil starvation. The oil can drain the same color all that good stuff, comes out thick when hot thats how thick it is.. and you begin to lose the engine.

This of course is in an extreme case and sometimes i put a half a quart in an engine fill (not sure why, something about Lucas "bakes on" and seals leaks?) and some people put more like 2 QUARTS of that stuff in a fill.

At $9.99 a quart and $10.99 a quart its Group I but its usefulness is "questionable." Apparently a lot of engines can tolerate it, though..

I use LOS in all of my vehicles. I can tell when it's not in the oil, and I can tell when I've added it. Usually half a quart of the petroleum-based does the trick.

My cars run stronger with LOS. Quicker acceleration, better bottom-end torque, ......this is all based upon just driving the cars.

I've never had a problem with LOS, nor have I ever known anyone personally that's had a problem with LOS.

I've tried LOADS of oil additives over the last twenty-four years, and I always go back to LOS.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
I use LOS in all of my vehicles. I can tell when it's not in the oil, and I can tell when I've added it. Usually half a quart of the petroleum-based does the trick.

My cars run stronger with LOS. Quicker acceleration, better bottom-end torque, ......this is all based upon just driving the cars.

I've never had a problem with LOS, nor have I ever known anyone personally that's had a problem with LOS.

I've tried LOADS of oil additives over the last twenty-four years, and I always go back to LOS.

I really have to ask. How does thicker oil do all of these things. Lucas oil stabilizer has no additives and is super thick. Adding this diluted a perfectly good additive package already in the oil and thickens it. Why not save a few bucks and just go up a grade in oil thickness. Then you don't dilute the additive package of the oil. This reminds me of guys who blend different oils thinking they are getting the best of both worlds when in reality they are weakening the additive packages.
Try gear oil. It's cheaper. Or a straight 90w

If someone can explain to me why soap bubbles come out of it when its poured, i will reconsider LOS.

Otherwise, ive been virtually talked out of it at $10 a quart for straight-80wt oil of LOS and it isnt even oil. Ive heard its "soap" in liquid form.. hence the bubbles.

I can understand it "sticks" but beyond that and in all but the oldest, thick-oil-loving vehicles (that stuff will make your oil almost a 60-weight! HEAVY! It is for worn engines..) .. if thick oil can help worn engines but other than that if someone can explain to me what it IS beyond a no-additive Group I thickener.. and perhaps has something for parts to coat over on startup like Mos2 would do.. which also sticks and coats.. and isnt soap.. and isnt thick.. thanks.

Also heard Lucas clogs oil pumps, it is so thick. All but the most heavy duty ones like on trucks and things like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back