PureONE PL14610 versus Bosch Premium 3323

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Purolator PureONE PL14610 and the Bosch Premium 3323 are the exact same thing, right? I believe I've read that in a number of threads in this forum. Note that I'm NOT talking about the Bosch DistancePlus, but rather the black can Bosch whose label says "FILTECH Filtration System".

What is "FILTECH Filtration System" anyway? Bosch's web site says:

Bosch Premium Oil Filters, featuring Bosch FILTECH, utilize an exclusive blend of natural and synthetic materials to provide superior oil filtration and increased engine wear protection. The Bosch FILTECH filtering area is up to 42% larger than conventional filters. Plus, the filter media is close to 30% thicker, and can screen out more harmful contaminants than a conventional filter.

But if the PureONE and Bosch Premium are indeed the exact same, then why doesn't the PureONE label have FILTECH on it?

Originally Posted By: barlowc
The Purolator PureONE PL14610 and the Bosch Premium 3323 are the exact same thing, right? I believe I've read that in a number of threads in this forum. Note that I'm NOT talking about the Bosch DistancePlus, but rather the black can Bosch whose label says "FILTECH Filtration System".

What is "FILTECH Filtration System" anyway? Bosch's web site says:

Bosch Premium Oil Filters, featuring Bosch FILTECH, utilize an exclusive blend of natural and synthetic materials to provide superior oil filtration and increased engine wear protection. The Bosch FILTECH filtering area is up to 42% larger than conventional filters. Plus, the filter media is close to 30% thicker, and can screen out more harmful contaminants than a conventional filter.

But if the PureONE and Bosch Premium are indeed the exact same, then why doesn't the PureONE label have FILTECH on it?

I love the marketing words "up to". So as long as Bosch does have any that are 43% larger than conventional filters their words are true. Also if all the Bosch filters are equal or less (or between 1% and 42%) than conventional filters their words are also true. But we only see "42%".

C, I have looked at both filters carefully inside and out and, (though people knowing my past dislike of P1's lol) I will say the P1 appears to be a better filter. The Bosch Filtech seems closer to a Purolator Classic (not a bad filter). The P1 would get my vote.

Of course Bosch D+ Is another story.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I love the marketing words "up to". So as long as Bosch does have any that are 43% larger than conventional filters their words are true. Also if all the Bosch filters are equal or less (or between 1% and 42%) than conventional filters their words are also true. But we only see "42%".

You're quite right there. In my two current applications, I suspect I can see both ends of the spectrum. For my G, if I were to compare the Wix 51365 that I've used to my current Bosch 3300, it might well be 42%. The former has a thread end bypass, while the latter has a dome end bypass, if I'm correct. On a little Dixie cup filter like that, that changes the amount of filtration area by a significant percentage.

For my truck, the FL1A or Wix 51515 have thread end bypasses as well, and the Bosch might not. Considering how much larger the 51515 is, the thread end bypass takes up a lesser percentage of the depth of the can.

As for the name Filtech, I wonder why there isn't a big issue with that. There is an actual Filtech brand, too. Is it perhaps a jobber made by Purolator?

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
C, I have looked at both filters carefully inside and out and, (though people knowing my past dislike of P1's lol) I will say the P1 appears to be a better filter. The Bosch Filtech seems closer to a Purolator Classic (not a bad filter). The P1 would get my vote.

Changed the Saturn's oil today. Had both filters on the shelf. Went with the P1 again.

My mother-in-law's Civic will be due for an oil change in a few weeks. It currently has a Bosch Premium 3323 on it. I'll end up cutting it open to see what the insides look like myself.

r_r's bench tests found with the exception of the can, they are virtually identical. Their rated efficiency is the same too.

Gary Allan (rip) posted on the question of Bosch "filtec media", and said, "Filtech is Bosch's name for a media ...like Donaldson has their Duramax line ..no relation to the US sub of Toyo-Roki"

When Bosch was made by Champ the Filtec media would have been different than P1. Now much like the Mann made by Purolator sold at RA is likely a Classic clone, the Bosch Premium now the Bosch version of the P1.

But r_r's test results are the most convincing evidence that they are the same, at least for me. Buy on price, with rebates and online specials at AAP, the P1 is generally less expensive.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
But r_r's test results are the most convincing evidence that they are the same, at least for me. Buy on price, with rebates and online specials at AAP, the P1 is generally less expensive.

Thanks for the info. As for P1s, it could be like up here. Price isn't the object, availability is.
wink.gif
I can get the Bosch Premiums for my G for under $5, so I can live with that.

isn't the 14610 one of the filters rated 99% efficiency at 40 mics, while most of their other P1s are 99% at 20 mics?

In thi particular filter size, you may be better off with another manufacturer's high end product

Originally Posted By: steve20
isn't the 14610 one of the filters rated 99% efficiency at 40 mics, while most of their other P1s are 99% at 20 mics?

Correct.

It'd be nice to know a concrete efficiency rating at 20 microns for the four PureONEs that are not 99.9% at 20-microns (the filters are PL14610, PL14612 (shorter version of PL14610), and their SAE-threaded equivalents), but is the difference really worth changing to another filter for?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
If that is the case, I'll use the PL14459 instead, unless that's also a 40 micron one???

The 14459 is at 20 microns. The 14459 actually has less media area than the 14610 (85 vs 105 sq-in).

^That is so weird, that the 14610 is 99% at 40 instead, but then again I suppose it could still be yielding 90+% at 20?

Quote:
The 14459 actually has less media area than the 14610 (85 vs 105 sq-in).

How is that? The 14459 can is much bigger around. You would think bigger can = more filter area.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:

How is that? The 14459 can is much bigger around. You would think bigger can = more filter area.

It's because the PL14610 is slightly longer, and has more pleats than the PL14459, thus the greater area.

As for switching to the PL14459 because of rating, having used both, dissecting them, and finding more media, I'll stick with the PL14610. Though less is known about the Bosch Prem. efficiency other than the advertised 99.9%, my conclusion would be that the BP 3323 is identical to it's corresponding PL14610, whatever the micron level.

And, having now used the PL14610 for two complete Accord MM ~7k OCI's, I have complete confidence in it. And after seeing the efficiency rating of a corresponding Honda OEM A-02 in the recent Amsoil test of some oem's, by comparison the PL14610 looks great.

All that said, 40um vs 20um, in light of more media in PL14610, is somewhat puzzling.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:

It's because the PL14610 is slightly longer, and has more pleats than the PL14459, thus the greater area.

As for switching to the PL14459 because of rating, having used both, dissecting them, and finding more media, I'll stick with the PL14610. Though less is known about the Bosch Prem. efficiency other than the advertised 99.9%, my conclusion would be that the BP 3323 is identical to it's corresponding PL14610, whatever the micron level.

And, having now used the PL14610 for two complete Accord MM ~7k OCI's, I have complete confidence in it. And after seeing the efficiency rating of a corresponding Honda OEM A-02 in the recent Amsoil test of some oem's, by comparison the PL14610 looks great.

All that said, 40um vs 20um, in light of more media in PL14610, is somewhat puzzling.

That is what I'm saying.
crazy2.gif

I will say that I'd probably use either, and perhaps when tested it could only achieve 99.9% @ 40um, where as the others 'more consistently'(per the test standard anyway) got the 99.9% @ 20um. The 'effective' efficiency is probably not that wide of a gap.

The question is, what is the 'effective efficiency' at 20um for the 14610? If over 95%, I'd be happy...if less I'd just use a Napa Gold 1334/Wix 51334 OR the P1 PL14459.

I emailed Purolator on this very issue, asking them why the 14610 has the @ 40 micron rating instead of the @ 20 micron rating. Never heard back.

My theory is because of the metal bypass valve design. The 4 Purolator filters that use that bypass valve design all have the @ 40 micron rating. Coincidence? ... don't know for sure.

If the media is the same, and I see no reason why it wouldn't be, then the only other thing that could effect particles flowing past the media would be how well the bypass valve seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back