VOA MMO?

I think the MSDS spells out it's base contents pretty plainly. As for metallic additives, I don't think I've ever seen one. Anyway, I think you probably saw the MSDS and not a VOA.

Edit (stolen):

Sea Foam MSDS says:

Pale Oil 40-60%
Naphtha 25-35%
IPA 10-20%

I assume IPA is Isopropyl Alcohol. But with the amount of ethanol in gasoline (10+%), is there a need for IPA? IPA may have a different length carbon chain than Ethanol and may be there to bond with any water in the tank.

MMO MSDS says:

Naphthenic Hydrocarbons 70-80%
Mineral Spirits 20-30%
Chlorinated Hydrocarbons 0-1%

It seems possible that the Chlorinated Hydrocarbons could turn into HCl when in contact with heat and water in the engine, so CH can be eliminated. Unless you want to add it to help deplete the motor oil's ad pack.

Last edited:
This has been posted before:

I borrowed this from another thread, I've pasted this into a few threads before HTH.

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

29% Mineral Spirits
- Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron
- AW/EP agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Phosporous
- AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent
- Not just for the cent, is also a cleaner. may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color
- well this one just colors the stuff

Originally Posted By: jona20062000
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/bobistheoilguy/BlackstoneMarvelMysteryOilReport.jpg

Can someone who is more computer savvy post this not as a link?
Thank you.

BlackstoneMarvelMysteryOilReport.jpg

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Rarely do I trust Blackstone. Their numbers on ad packs tend to trend lower.

Agree to that. Other labs show additional components.

Oil of Wintergreen, or Methyl Salicylate, is an organic ester oil that has an affinity to metal. It definitely boosts lubricity and is in sufficient quantity to overcome the odor of the 29% mineral spirits. It is not there just for its smell. A small quantity of ester oil along with a small quantity of molybdenum disulphide in the lubricating oil, appear to reduce friction and assist in a measurable improvement in fuel mileage. However, once friction is reduced, adding more of each will have no effect on a further reduction in friction.

Here's my put on MMO's MSDS:

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)

Serves mostly as base oil.

29% Mineral Spirits

General cleaner and solvent.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron

Mild AW/EP agent, friction reducer

900 ppm Phosporous

AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene

A very good cleaner/solvent for varnish.

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene

A very good cleaner/solvent for varnish.

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent

Oil of Wintergreen is in there solely for the SCENT to mask solvent smell. Not enough in there to aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color
- well this one just colors the stuff

For Sure.

Last edited:
Quote:
So, based on the MSDS can we infer how effective it is at what the claimed benefits are?

From any MSDS you can't infer much, since there may be traces of compounds not reported.

I think it is a cleaner with some AW and friction modifiers.

As far as claimed benefits or effectiveness, you have to take their word for it or look at public testimonials, or use it yourself, and then decide the costs verses any perceived benefits.

As I have questioned many times, in the context of motor oil additives, what chemical compound do you think we formulators have purposely left out of fully formulated motor oils, to require you to buy OTC or third party additives?
confused2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
So, based on the MSDS can we infer how effective it is at what the claimed benefits are?

From any MSDS you can't infer much, since there may be traces of compounds not reported.

I think it is a cleaner with some AW and friction modifiers.

As far as claimed benefits or effectiveness, you have to take their word for it or look at public testimonials, or use it yourself, and then decide the costs verses any perceived benefits.

As I have questioned many times, in the context of motor oil additives, what chemical compound do you think we formulators have purposely left out of fully formulated motor oils, to require you to buy OTC or third party additives?
confused2.gif

I was thinking more in terms of a fuel additive.

Quote:
I was thinking more in terms of a fuel additive.

Since it has chlorobenzenes and phosphorous, it may be an effective fuel system and injector cleaner.

You guys must have left something out. After all, BG, STP, and Lucas wouldn't exist if you hadn't left out something. All the miles I've accumulated over the years without any explosions, even though I've never used any of these additives, must have also been a fluke.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

You guys must have left something out. After all, BG, STP, and Lucas wouldn't exist if you hadn't left out something. All the miles I've accumulated over the years without any explosions, even though I've never used any of these additives, must have also been a fluke.
wink.gif

No, you would just have a less than 100% fuel system then..

Originally Posted By: Brenden

wink.gif

Having taken injectors, fuel pumps, tanks, rails, regulators.....etc off 300+K engines, I think that is a baseless assertion. They were clean. A high mileage is an engine that gets used a lot. An engine that gets used a lot doesn't develop the same type of fuel system issues as an engine that sits, which will accrue varnish if left sitting long enough.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Having taken injectors, fuel pumps, tanks, rails, regulators.....etc off 300+K engines, I think that is a baseless assertion. They were clean. A high mileage is an engine that gets used a lot. An engine that gets used a lot doesn't develop the same type of fuel system issues as an engine that sits, which will accrue varnish if left sitting long enough.

And the same argument applies with respect to MMO whether it's being used as a fuel additive or an oil additive. If it were the bees knees, it would already be added to the fuel. Contrast that to PEA, which already is used in at least one brand of fuel.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Brenden

wink.gif

Taken injectors off, or apart?

Back