1998 Honda Accord 4 cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I have a 1998 accord 4 cyl with 106000 miles.
The car is my daily driver, and I drive typically 6000 miles per year.

I was thinking of switching to synthetic for my next oil change.
Do you guys recommend a switch?
What oild would you use?

Thanks in advance
George

Hello George!
10.gif

I would probably just stick with a good quality dino only oil.

The car is now over 13 years old and occasionally there are issues with the extra detergents and syn combination that may clean buildup on gaskets that could cause a oil leak.

It's not certain of course, but if you don't feel like doing extra work to the car don't chance it.

Hi George is it? Wonderful name by the way.
What dino only would you recommend?

Mark, any worries with what George posted?

Feel free to switch to synthetic with no ill effects. Most synthetics sold in stores are group III oil so there should not be any worries about it leaking after the switch.

It's an old myth that switching between dino and synthetic is harmful for the engine.

I've switched many cars over to synthetic after a diet of dino their entire lives without any issue.

The car I currently drive was switched over to synthetic at about 110k miles. With almost 170k miles on the clock today, I only reap the benefits of the extended oil change that synthetic offers me.

I recommend Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 full synthetic for your Accord. it has enough detergents to clean any build up inside your engine but at the same time, it's just a hyroracked group III. If there is any build up inside that will be cleaned away slowly by the synthetic, it will only make your engine run more efficiently.

If the engine isn't leaking oil now, it will not after a switch to a group III synthetic oil.

Happy motoring!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GGorman04
Hi George is it? Wonderful name by the way.
What dino only would you recommend?

Mark, any worries with what George posted?

George it is!

It isn't so much the synthetic part of the mix itself, but the extra shot of detergents in it that while doing a great job of cleaning up the engine also can clean gunk around old possibly slightly dried up gaskets that MIGHT cause a leak.

Again if you don't mind knowing that you might get a leak or have to replace a gasket go right ahead and use it ...but if you don't want to put more effort and money into the car just stay with plain old straight dino....any of the big names is great, Mobil, Shell, Chevron, Castrol, Quaker State, just to name a few. My advice is to get whatever major name is cheapest at the time. All are very good.

Thanks for the help guys.
My main goal in switching would be to increase the time between oil changes.

Again thanks!!

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
is there any proof synthetic oil can cause leaks?

It isn't the synthetic oil itself that is the problem it is the COMBINATION of very slippery oil and the extra doses of detergents that can cause leaks. It is only a problem IF you have older cars which often times have dried out gaskets that have old build up preventing leaks. But again do you want to have to bother with that issue, or know that your driveway might have turf markings on it. LOL.

I'd say if you car is 8 years old or less and has less than 100k on it you probably won't have an issue. But once the vehicle approaches 12 years old or so, I'd think about sticking with plain old dino..especially if it has only been run on it from the beginning.

No problem switching to a synthetic.
The increased cleaning ability over a dino can help keep the oil control ring and lands clean and actually reduce oil consumption.
You'll probabily want to go with a 5W-30 or even a 0W-30 grade although you could use a 0W-20 without issue for the winter.

I'm not sure that your namesake is offering good advice.
I have an Accord with the same engine a year newer than yours, and it has 144K at the moment.
This car has seen maybe two runs of dino in it's life, so I don't have direct experience with what could happen with a change to syn from conventional in this engine.
I did start using syn in our previously conventional oil '97 Accord at around 64K and had no problems, although the car was but six years old at the time.
I can tell you that my old BMW has lower consumption and no leaks on M1 15W-50, better than it has done on various dinos.
Our old Impreza also seems fine on PP, after a life-long diet of who knows what.
Synthetic oil is neither "very slippery" relative to dino, nor does it necessarily have higher detergency.
Hondas are usually pretty good at remaining oil-tight, as well, or at least the six we've had have been.
Try a syn in your car if you'd like to.
Ignore the old wive's tales about syn creating oil leaks where none existed before.
If you do find new leaks with a syn oil, you can always go back to dino.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
Go with a synthetic blend HM oil like Valvoline MaxLife.

+1....I have to agree with Mark Walk....a Syn/Blend would work perfect with a 6000 mile OCI (once a year)....with Valvoline MaxLife HM being a good choice.

Another excellent Syn/Blend would be Motorcraft 5w30...very reasonably priced at WM @ about $17 for a 5 quart jug.

Factory OCI is 7500 miles, at least it was on my 01, and that's on conventional. I went 7500 on Pennzoil Platinum in mixed driving for 111,000 miles. Unfortunately that car didn't have enough doors or I'd still have it, and probably have 200,000 on the same regimen.

Synthetic won't cause leaks, that's for sure.

The timing belt has been replaced at some point, I hope???

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
If you're only putting 6000 miles per year on this car, you should stick with conventional and change the oil every year.

+1

These engines go 300k and 400k miles with ease on dino. Something good like Pennzoil, Castrol GTX, Chevron Supreme will do you fine.

Wow, thanks for the responses.
It seems there is no consensus, but for me I would like to switch to synthetics solely for the fact that I can extend the time between oil changes. I was leaning towards the pennzoil platinum.
Any advice on a good oil filter to pair it with?
Again thanks!!

Originally Posted By: GGorman04
Wow, thanks for the responses.
It seems there is no consensus, but for me I would like to switch to synthetics solely for the fact that I can extend the time between oil changes. I was leaning towards the pennzoil platinum.
Any advice on a good oil filter to pair it with?
Again thanks!!

George
grin.gif

If you are going to go with a synthetic just find the cheapest major brand you can, all are excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back