Nu-Finish-always impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm using NuFinish for the first time in my life right now. It was $6.97 at W-M... so why not.

I'm using it on my DD, and we have a pretty harsh winter here. I guess I'll find out in the next few months how it holds up through salt and the detergent at the drive through touchless car wash.

I've already discovered that I like applying it best with a foam pad. Seems to me that a foam pad helps provide a thin and consistent coat. Maybe a little more difficult to tell when it is ready to wipe off.

I'm using paste. I think I should have stirred it first, as it seems to have a few watery pockets in the can.

I just did Nu Finish on my 06 Miata. Copper Red and it looks awesome. The previous owner never did much to the outside other then an occasional wash. I had to use my DA orbital with a polishing pad and a light cut Griots product to bring up the shine, after clay barring it. Then I applied Nu Finish. GREAT RESULTS!! After that I used a meguiars spray wax and gave it a nice glowing light coat.

I can't see myself using NuFinish after trying my new tub of DP Max Wax today. It is definitely a very high carnauba content product from what I can tell. Super easy to apply and remove. Never any missed removal spots. I topped it on top of a month-old coat of DP Poli-Coat sealant.

Although you guys may be happy with NuFinish, there's better stuff out there.

The bottom line is the NF gets a lot of knocks from a lot of people simply because it is cheap. The latest formula has been upgraded a lot over the years. To compare it to a carnauba is not all that great of a comparison, as it is a sealant. It's also going to be much more durable than a carnauba.

Opinions are fine, but "better" is always very subjective. It truly comes down to prep, as any good detailer knows. I'd love to do a blind test with a similar prep, NF on one car, and one of the boutiques on another. I'd bet some money that a lot of folks would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I've used a TON of products and now tried NF for the heck of it. IT looks good, beads well, and with more prep in the spring, I think I will be happy.

Some folks think more $$ means better, are stuck on the "in" products, or simply swear their product is the best. I'm a believer in using whatever YOU like.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
The bottom line is the NF gets a lot of knocks from a lot of people simply because it is cheap. The latest formula has been upgraded a lot over the years. To compare it to a carnauba is not all that great of a comparison, as it is a sealant. It's also going to be much more durable than a carnauba.

Opinions are fine, but "better" is always very subjective. It truly comes down to prep, as any good detailer knows. I'd love to do a blind test with a similar prep, NF on one car, and one of the boutiques on another. I'd bet some money that a lot of folks would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I've used a TON of products and now tried NF for the heck of it. IT looks good, beads well, and with more prep in the spring, I think I will be happy.

Some folks think more $$ means better, are stuck on the "in" products, or simply swear their product is the best. I'm a believer in using whatever YOU like.

Several years back I posted a picture of a car freshly "waxed" and had everyone guess what was used on the paint. Most guessed a high end product like Zaino and several other high end waxes were guessed. It was NuFinish and when I posted the picture of the Nufinish bottle on the hood a lot of folks heads blew up! Several were [censored] and did not believe it. I just had to laugh because Nufinish really is one of the very best products for a cars paint but many will not except it or even try it. Here is one of those pictures:
100_0267.jpg

The bottom line is the NF gets a lot of knocks from a lot of people simply because it is cheap.

Actually it gets so many knocks because so many people think it's the best thing since sliced bread, when in reality there are better products available.

I'll agree, to a point. Better can mean many things...just like better oil. The bottom line is that it is a better product than many people give it credit for.

Originally Posted By: grampi
The bottom line is the NF gets a lot of knocks from a lot of people simply because it is cheap.

Actually it gets so many knocks because so many people think it's the best thing since sliced bread, when in reality there are better products available.

I agree that NuFinish gets knocked a lot because certain people here think it is the best. It is inexpensive and, since it is a sealant, it will last longer than a wax. It is also readily available for those who don't shop online. It does have some cons as well. It stinks...literally, stains trim, and its plasticky shine is good but not great. Think about it, if it was so great it would be very popular (or at least popular) at different detailing forums and that is not the case at all. I've said it many times, if Walmart or Target is where you shop for detailing products, and then NuFinish is your best option for longevity.

Originally Posted By: Capa

I agree that NuFinish gets knocked a lot because certain people here think it is the best. It is inexpensive and, since it is a sealant, it will last longer than a wax. It is also readily available for those who don't shop online. It does have some cons as well. It stinks...literally, stains trim, and its plasticky shine is good but not great. Think about it, if it was so great it would be very popular (or at least popular) at different detailing forums and that is not the case at all. I've said it many times, if Walmart or Target is where you shop for detailing products, and then NuFinish is your best option for longevity.

If people want to say it's the longest lasting wax you can buy at Wal-Mart, I'm okay with that, but saying it's the best period (which some do), that's where I raise the male cow manuer flag...

Last edited:
I wont say it's the best, but some of the folks on the detailing forums say they have never tried it simply because of where it is sold and its low price.

I detail professionally. I'll use it on my own car because I need something long lasting and easy to maintain, but for most customer cars I use something else.

I'm not a fan of saying anything is "the best." Too subjective and everyone's opinion is based on different factors.

In the end, it is a good product that doesn't always get the props it should. Like anything, it has pros and cons.

I wont say it's the best, but some of the folks on the detailing forums say they have never tried it simply because of where it is sold and its low price.

Many of them have tried it and simply don't like it as much as some of the other products. I'm one of them....

I also detail and I have used NuFinish. Again, it is a fine product for a sealant and probable your best choice for longevity at Walmart. Personally, I don't like it because it stains trim like all of the "cleaner waxes" I have tried at Walmart. I prefer Duragloss 501 because it doesn't stain trim, longevity is just as good if not better, it is inexpensive as well, and it is a better one-stepper because it has both strong cleaners and diminishing abrasives. In fact, Duragloss probably is the most talked about sealant on different detailing forums just like Collinite is with waxes.

Many of them have tried it and simply don't like it as much as some of the other products. I'm one of them....

Perhaps...though when I posted on a detailing forum that I used it, many openly admitted that they had never tried it due to "image."

We could go on and on about this. I'm just in a period in my life that I'm open to trying anything and giving the underdog a chance. I've said my piece here, lots of good points. We can all agree to disagree.
smile.gif

Used some nu finish on my car last thursday before the winter rain gets to it. Think it works well regardless of the staining on rubber or plastic. I think most cars that barely even see a car wash would really appreciate a wax like nu finish for the price.

Perhaps...though when I posted on a detailing forum that I used it, many openly admitted that they had never tried it due to "image."

We could go on and on about this. I'm just in a period in my life that I'm open to trying anything and giving the underdog a chance. I've said my piece here, lots of good points. We can all agree to disagree.
smile.gif

Have you ever tried any of the Duragloss, Zaino, Collinite, or Klasse polishes/waxes?

You can actually get a great deal on Duragloss online via autogeek.net and enter "freeship" in the promo box. About $10-11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back