Defective NAPA (Wix) oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been buying NAPA (Wix) filters for quite some time now and I've been quite impressed with their construction. Unfortunately, today I had to replace the filter installed in my Maxima because it was leaking thru the bottom seam. This filter was from a batch of 4 Proselect filters I bought not long ago. I was hesitant at the time when I noticed the "Made in Mexico" marking on the filter (I thought all Wix filters were made in USA), but I needed them, so I gave it a shot. I have used now two of them and one was already proven defective. So watch out...
Kudos to the wife who noticed the oil stains on the garage floor, and knowing how anal I am about my vehicles, she let me know immediately.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Are you sure there wasn't some debris in the seal? Might check that before blaming the filter. I've had the same happen with a small piece of the old gasket I didn't notice.

NAPA's "Series 2"/"NAPA Silver"/NAPA "Pro Select" filters used to be the equivalent of Dana Corp/Affinias "PRO TEC" line of filters....I wonder if NAPA is now sourcing their cheaper filters from someone else? Isnt NAPAs new super-duper long oil change interval filter made by someone else other than WIX/Affinia?

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
NAPA's "Series 2"/"NAPA Silver"/NAPA "Pro Select" filters used to be the equivalent of Dana Corp/Affinias "PRO TEC" line of filters....I wonder if NAPA is now sourcing their cheaper filters from someone else? Isnt NAPAs new super-duper long oil change interval filter made by someone else other than WIX/Affinia?

The Napa Platinum is made by Wix.

i'm on my 3rd napa proselect for my dad's 1991 mercury colony park and no leaks. when i took last filter, the rubber stuck t oengine-was good think i always check and clean engine block before install new filter. maybe this happened with you. anyway, my proselects are made by affinia in Gastonia, NC:) great filter

I think you may have simply seen a random failure, which does happen.
In the past thirty years, with spin-ons, I've had one bad filter on one of our old Civics and one on our old Vanagon.
These failures date from the early 'nineties or so, so both would have been made right here in the USA.
I recall that the one on the VW was a Lee, while the one on the Honda might (or might not) have been a Purolator.
My point is that it happens, but it's rare.
What better reason to check for leaks after the oil change is complete and everything should be ready to go?
Things do go wrong now and then, and defective parts do pass through QC undetected.

Nope, the leak was not thru the seal. I jacked up the front of the car, went under, cleaned up everything and then started the engine. I could see the oil slowly sweeping thru the seam.
I guess after many years of oil changes with no issues, you kinda expect nothing to go wrong... Lesson learned.

You are so correct.The anti-Fram crowd would be slobbering all over their keyboards in a heated fury trying to get their message out to all of the uninformed.But I am sure that Wix will get a free pass.

NAPA & Amsoil filters do have one advantage over most store filters as its unlikely they would be dropped by a shopper and then put back in the shelf. Or the wrong filter in the right box.

I always start my engine and then take a look under the car and at the filter to look for leaks. But I am looking for a stream of oil not a slow drip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back