Mississippi Corollas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Quote:
I'm not sure if there's a worse car you could buy for the money.

Whats so bad about the current Corolla ?

54.gif

I'd like to hear from the experts on this one too.

"...huh? Where exactly did I advocate blind acceptance? I said exactly the opposite."

By providing only one option in your "can't have it both ways" scenario. Totally fallacious.

Originally Posted By: JakeR22
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Quote:

Whats so bad about the current Corolla ?

54.gif

I'd like to hear from the experts on this one too.

- Dated interior
- Rear drum brakes
- Uncomfortable driving position
- 4-speed automatic
- Awful interior quality

Careful about citing rear drums as inferior.

I'd rather have a decent Disk/Drum set-up than a priced down 4 wheel disk arrangement.

Mitsubishi did that in the 80s here, insisiting on 4 wheel disks, at a purchase price less than a disk drum...then advertised the safety advantages of an inferior system.

If you have a manual transmission and rely on the parking brake, I'd say drums are superior to disks for that application.

Both drums and disks have their advantages. It depends on your goals to determine which is better.

Thursday, Nov. 17, the first Mississippi-built Corolla rolls off the line

Quote:
BLUE SPRINGS, Miss. -- Four smiling team members climbed out of a sparkling new black Toyota Corolla sedan on Thursday, marking the long-awaited official opening of the Japanese automaker's $800 million Union County plant that will create 2,000 production jobs and 4,000 more among suppliers.

The workers drove the Corolla onto a stage in the massive new plant about 75 miles southeast of Memphis, cheered on by most of the 1,500 employees -- Toyota calls them "team members" -- already on the job and about that many local and state officials and other dignitaries.

Very good.

Since they closed the CA plant after all those years glad to see them get someplace to build them.

Interesting that they even changed the places where the blocks, heads and engines assembled will be done.

Bill

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I don't blame Toyota for walking away from NUMMI.... GM got up and walked away from it first. And let's face it, for obvious reasons, California is not the most attractive manufacturing environment any more...

By many of their past actions, the UAW has made their own bed.... now they get to lie in it. However, they continue to point the finger of blame everywhere else.

I agree. California is not exactly a friendly place for car makers and I'm glad businesses are leaving CA for other more reasonably states.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Interesting that they even changed the places where the blocks, heads and engines assembled will be done.

Actually, this has been the case for many years. I found this out while doing some pre-purchase research back in 2004 just before I bought my Vibe. Toyota's facilities in Missouri have been owned and operated by Toyota since 1990.

Bodine Aluminum, Inc.

Last edited:
Nothing like starting the day with some good news, and this is indeed good news. We need more likeit. Kudos to Toyota Motor for investing more int US Plants.

Quote:

I think the current Mitsubishi Galant may actually be worse.

It's essentially the same, slightly re-styled car as 2003. Virtually all the cars in that class now have a 5 or 6 speed auto or CVT. The Galant has a 4 speed. I don't even think it has the Mitsubishi variant of the Chrysler/Hyundai/Mitsubishi GEMA engine. It looked like the same dated 4G69 Sirius engine as it's been for who knows how long. But I think the worst problem is that it is priced similar to a Kizashi, Fusion, etc... So you're getting an outdated design, without the implied quality of Toyota, for the price of a new design.

The Corolla is designed to be efficient and as innocuous as possible. To enthusiasts, it's lack of anything pleasureable is bad but to the appliance buying general population, it's just what they want.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Quote:

It's essentially the same, slightly re-styled car as 2003. Virtually all the cars in that class now have a 5 or 6 speed auto or CVT. The Galant has a 4 speed. I don't even think it has the Mitsubishi variant of the Chrysler/Hyundai/Mitsubishi GEMA engine. It looked like the same dated 4G69 Sirius engine as it's been for who knows how long. But I think the worst problem is that it is priced similar to a Kizashi, Fusion, etc... So you're getting an outdated design, without the implied quality of Toyota, for the price of a new design.

The Corolla is designed to be efficient and as innocuous as possible. To enthusiasts, it's lack of anything pleasureable is bad but to the appliance buying general population, it's just what they want.

I think you summarized Toyota perfectly with that statement.

Since we are the third or fourth largest EXPORTER in the world, you do realize that if we don't import, we can't expect others to import out goods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_exports

Seems we are third. So the question is not how do we stop importing, but what can we do to export more goods?

How is the UAW and other unions helping with improving how much we export?

That would create as many, if not more jobs than simply stopping imports.

Instead of being anti-imports, let's go all out and improve our export numbers. What is the UAW or any other union's plan to accomplish that?

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: cousincletus
It sure seems fashionable lately to be anti-union. I have never seen more of a need in my lifetime for unions than right now, as unions are the only organized force in DC fighting against exporting American jobs. Better be careful what you wish for. You may just get it.

...says the man with the fashionable anti-Toyota slogan in his signature.

Not fashion for me. I have been anti-import since the early 1980s when I first saw the middle class being destroyed in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

But it's not free trade that sends those jobs. It's management or other factors such as environmental rules, labor laws, or whatnot that encourages companies to move jobs to other nations.

Sure it hurts.

But who gave the US the right to have all the jobs and all the factories, etc?

Two hundred years ago, weren't we taking jobs from Europe with all the plants that were springing up here to use the labor and natural resources?

Using the logic of some, the jobs shouldn't come back here, but go to the European colonial nations because they started the industrial revolution.

We "took" "their jobs."

Now others are "taking" "our jobs."

So if you are really against free trade, what are you doing to return the jobs to where they originated, colonial Europe?

Originally Posted By: Nick R

I wouldn't exactly call it a "Core american value" if it means sending every single non-service job we have to china. Free trade sound good in theory, until you hit the issue of jobs. I feel that I am defending american interests when I say that it is better for the country to make things here, instead of overseas. And to be honest, if it was free trade with our friends, Canada, France, UK, Germany, and heck, even Mexico at a stretch it wouldn't bother me so much, since they are our friends. It's sending all jobs and products to a country that despises us I take issue with.

And it seems to work for them. Do nothing particularly well, but do it consistently average for longer than most other car makers.

Toyota is the Michelin of car makers. Consistency has been the word until the past 5-10 years. It will be interesting to see if they step up their game in response to recent lapses and improving quality of their competition.

The ones who win are the consumers who benefit from this competition in the marketplace.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Quote:

I think you summarized Toyota perfectly with that statement.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Toyota is the Michelin of car makers.

In terms of consistency, maybe. But not otherwise. Michelin has a range of products from thoroughly mediocre to best-in-class, for applications from econoboxes to the fastest cars in the world. With very few exceptions, Toyota's product line is almost entirely mediocre and aimed at everyday non-enthusiast tastes.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Toyota is the Michelin of car makers.

In terms of consistency, maybe. But not otherwise. Michelin has a range of products from thoroughly mediocre to best-in-class, for applications from econoboxes to the fastest cars in the world. With very few exceptions, Toyota's product line is almost entirely mediocre and aimed at everyday non-enthusiast tastes.

I don't perceive Toyota as the Michelin as auto makers, because when you buy replacement Michelin tires, they are usually the most expensive, and built to be the best.

Toyota cars are about getting a good product at a very good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back