Formula Shell Conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Formula Shell didn't hold up well in either one of our vehicles. My 09 3.3L Santa Fe and 07 I4 Sonata engines became quite noisy at idle after 3 months & around 3500 miles of use. I never had that happen before under similar mileage & driving conditions. I won't use it again.

Originally Posted By: wymi516
Formula Shell didn't hold up well in either one of our vehicles. My 09 3.3L Santa Fe and 07 I4 Sonata engines became quite noisy at idle after 3 months & around 3500 miles of use. I never had that happen before under similar mileage & driving conditions. I won't use it again.

Are you sure it wasn't related to the oil filter?
I've been participating here for almost 10 years. Yours is the first noise complaint I've read concerning Formula Shell in passenger vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: wymi516

Are you sure it wasn't related to the oil filter?
I've been participating here for almost 10 years. Yours is the first noise complaint I've read concerning Formula Shell in passenger vehicles.

OEM filters, first couple month's and few k miles were quiet as usual. As the time & mileage racked up I noticed both motors ticking while hot more then usual. Never happened before with any other oil.

I think there is something else going on there, just my 2 cents. A bit of advice on that 3.3 motor. Get the oil filter with the barb/nipple on it. We had problems at my work with USING CHAMPION LABS FILTERS. It would drop the oil psi, causing the oil light to flicker and tapping to occur. Try the factory filter next time, and DO NOT BLAME YOUR OIL. I have used Formula Shell and PYB without ANY PROBLEMS.

Originally Posted By: Silver_civic
I think there is something else going on there, just my 2 cents. A bit of advice on that 3.3 motor. Get the oil filter with the barb/nipple on it. We had problems at my work with USING CHAMPION LABS FILTERS. It would drop the oil psi, causing the oil light to flicker and tapping to occur. Try the factory filter next time, and DO NOT BLAME YOUR OIL. I have used Formula Shell and PYB without ANY PROBLEMS.

I always use OEM filters. There is no barb or nipple on any of the 3.3L filters. The barb/nipple you speak of is on the filter for the 2010 and up 3.5L motors. 58k on the Sonata, 19k on the Santa Fe, this is the first time ever that either of the motors sounded "clicky" after a few k miles. I'm back to PP 5w-30 in the Sonata & QSUD 5w-20 in the Santa Fe for winter. I'll go back to PYB for Spring/Summer/Fall, both motors stay quiet through their 4 month rotation of oil/filter changes with PYB.

I got 4 cases of Formula Shell.......
crazy2.gif
lol.gif

I was using the SM 5w30 version, it worked well in my Subaru for 5-6k OCI's. SN version seems decent, but looks like a lot of the Moly got switched to PYB from FS.

Great buy when it is on sale. It's a SOPUS oil, so at the worst it is decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back