mixing brands of gas ok to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each brand of fuel has a detergent package designed to work in its own way. So, by mixing brands of gas all the time, do you disturb the add packs such that they will not work properly and keep things clean? As an example: Mobil on their website states, or at least use to state that “regular” use of their brand would clean up dirty injectors..etc…

The short answer is YES.
My opinion is that all the gas that we put into our cars comes from the same source. Company A says they will market additives 1,3,5; company B says they will market additives 2,4,6; company C says they will market additives 7,9,11 and so forth. If my hypothesis is true then it does not matter. My car does not run any different on one brand of gas versus another ... the only difference I notice is the impact on my wallet!

I dont think it matters very much, it probably is best to just stick with one brand of possible, but I dont think there is any great harm in switching depending on which is closest and cheapest.

No harm. What happens on a long road trip? There's gas from 4-5 different brands in the tank by the time one gets back home.

we buy thousands of dollars every month in fuel, all gasoline.

I cannot remember the last time we had a fuel related problem of any kind.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
Each brand of fuel has a detergent package designed to work in its own way. So, by mixing brands of gas all the time, do you disturb the add packs such that they will not work properly and keep things clean? As an example: Mobil on their website states, or at least use to state that “regular” use of their brand would clean up dirty injectors..etc…

Mark72,

Under the best condition possible it's always better to stay with one fuel type/brand. However we all don't live and work under the same comditions especially when it comes to price.

I admit I kinda shop around and if I see something better I usually get it based on the price. I also use more cash instead of cc more often now.

Makes zero difference unless you are buying from an off brand mom and pops store. Some brands put more additives in their gas then others. Your best bet is to use a Top tier gas... Chevron has always been great gas but it is not in every market...

Several years ago while doing a 'back road' road trip, I stopped at a diner for lunch. As usual I sat where I could see out a window (to keep an eye on my car). There were 3 gas stations within eyesight that featured major brand gas. I don't remember now what they were, but let's say Chevron, Shell and BP. I saw a generic tanker go from one to another until he had stopped at all three. I was like, "Well, I'll be .....!"

Another time I was at a station that was being refueled (again a generic tanker) and watched the guy as he finished his last transfer. He went to the other side of the truck and came back with a 5 gallon bucket and dumped the contents into the fill hole. I have no idea what was in that bucket, but I was thinking, "hmmmmmm.."

Maybe someone who drives a tanker or used to can enlighten us.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
The short answer is YES.
My opinion is that all the gas that we put into our cars comes from the same source. Company A says they will market additives 1,3,5; company B says they will market additives 2,4,6; company C says they will market additives 7,9,11 and so forth. If my hypothesis is true then it does not matter. My car does not run any different on one brand of gas versus another ... the only difference I notice is the impact on my wallet!
Best answer on this thread. I put the CHEAPEST gas I can find in my car and I run my own PEA cleaner every 5-6k when I'm about to change my oil.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
Several years ago while doing a 'back road' road trip, I stopped at a diner for lunch. As usual I sat where I could see out a window (to keep an eye on my car). There were 3 gas stations within eyesight that featured major brand gas. I don't remember now what they were, but let's say Chevron, Shell and BP. I saw a generic tanker go from one to another until he had stopped at all three. I was like, "Well, I'll be .....!"

Another time I was at a station that was being refueled (again a generic tanker) and watched the guy as he finished his last transfer. He went to the other side of the truck and came back with a 5 gallon bucket and dumped the contents into the fill hole. I have no idea what was in that bucket, but I was thinking, "hmmmmmm.."

it's pretty much common knowledge nowadays that stations get their gas from the same distributors. the difference is the additives that each brand of gas uses. the 5 gallon bucket that you saw the worker dump into the tank was most likely the additives. just because the base stocks are the same doesn't mean the end product is.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags

it's pretty much common knowledge nowadays that stations get their gas from the same distributors. the difference is the additives that each brand of gas uses. the 5 gallon bucket that you saw the worker dump into the tank was most likely the additives. just because the base stocks are the same doesn't mean the end product is.

I agree.

By the way, the only gas I have had problems with on a consistent basis is BP... In Wi, I now usually only use Shell, Kwik trip and Mobil... Used to use BP all the time. While in FL i use Chevron.

I also use a fuel cleaner every 10K to make sure the fuel system stays clean... I use Redline SL1, BG44K or Techron if I run out of the first two...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jmsjags

It wasn't the additive.

the gas station purchased 10,000 gal but the tanker can only hold 9,995 gal to give room for vapor. To make up the diff, he always keep 5 gal bucket on the driver side of the truck.

Do any of you use or have used teh Lucas fuel treatment they sell at Advance Auto? Is it pretty good stuff?

Do any of you use or have used teh Lucas fuel treatment they sell at Advance Auto? Is it pretty good stuff?

Used it and got zero benefits...

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

Which one/brand did benefit you?

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

Which one/brand did benefit you?

Redline SL1, BG44K or Techron... Redline SL1 has a cyl lubricant...

Last edited:
The oil companies actually check the stations gas to make sure they have gas with their additive package. Mixing won't hurt, you just won't get all the cleaning benefits. It's why I try and use Texaco and Chevron. Plus they give me free coffee and have good donuts ! And friendly attendants to pump my gas ! We don't pump our own here in Oregon, too dangerous and who wants to stand in the rain, and smell like gas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back