Acura cl v6 distributor fix??

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's oil in my distributor. Where would I go to get an oil shaft seal that is compatible. Ive got the part numbers for the cap gasket and o-ring but the part inside the distributor isn't a Honda part. Should I just get a recycled distributor? I've read the size is 24.5od 14.5id by 6mm, but I'm not even sure that's accurate. It's a 1998. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: kevinf
There's oil in my distributor. Where would I go to get an oil shaft seal that is compatible. Ive got the part numbers for the cap gasket and o-ring but the part inside the distributor isn't a Honda part. Should I just get a recycled distributor? I've read the size is 24.5od 14.5id by 6mm, but I'm not even sure that's accurate. It's a 1998. Thanks.

I think you want the small O-ring that goes on the engine side of the distributor. That's a few dollars at any Acura dealer.

dealers don't know what you're talking about....i replaced mine, but it was on a 4cyl accord....i had to do a lot of searching, but found it and did it last year....it is about 11 bucks....hang on lemme find it. i ordered it online....just a minute.

what ever you do don't buy a china made distributor for replacement they will not last and will need replacing on a regular basis as in quiting on the road often. If you don't want to get a new seal or a new base buy a junk yard used one but pass on new china ones they just do not work long period.

Last edited:
The 'O' ring is for EXTERNAL leaks - it seals the housing.
Your dist may be worn. So even new shaft seals may not be a perfect fix.

I would disassemble the distributor enough to see if there are any manufacturer's markings on the seal and go from there. If there are any markings, they should be on the seal face that's facing you when you get the rotor off; you shouldn't have to get the seal out of the housing.

If you can get an ID and numbers off the seal, any good bearing shop should be able to get a seal through a cross-over catalog. They should also be able to find a seal based on dimensions; shaft OD (=seal ID), housing OD (=seal OD) and seal thickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back