fresh oil change on VW, now tons of smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scenario: 2001 VW Jetta w/2.0 NA engine, 210,000 miles. Prior oil used was apparently a Castrol 20w-50. Did a fresh oil change with Chevron Delo 400 15w40 and a Champ Labs E-Core filter. Started car and now it blows crazy amounts of blue/grey smoke, but idles just fine. My guess is a piston ring(s) was about to go and the fresh change to a thick oil from the thinned out used oil caused it/them to finally go. Any thoughts? Other opinions? Not my car by the way.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
Why would you put 20w-50 Castrol in 2.0 Jetta...

I was wondering the same thing. Owner goes by the old belief that higher mileage=thicker oil

Originally Posted By: teambeechstreet
Scenario: 2001 VW Jetta w/2.0 NA engine, 210,000 miles. Prior oil used was apparently a Castrol 20w-50. Did a fresh oil change with Chevron Delo 400 15w40 and a Champ Labs E-Core filter. Started car and now it blows crazy amounts of blue/grey smoke, but idles just fine. My guess is a piston ring(s) was about to go and the fresh change to a thick oil from the thinned out used oil caused it/them to finally go. Any thoughts? Other opinions? Not my car by the way.

20W-50? Hmm. Wish you could have videoed how the car looks when it is smoking. This is new, i have never heard of smoking after an oil change. Not changed hot nor cold nor warm, that is new.

That Delo is obviously catching something the thick oil was holding together. Ouch.

I wish I had captured a video via my phone. It was the most smoke I've ever seen billowing out of an exhaust. If you stood ten feet behind it you'd disappear into the cloud.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
stupid QUESTION BUT, WAS THE OIL DRAINED BEFORE PUTTING THE NEW OIL IN? Ops Caps and too tired to retype. Ed

Yes, yes it was. Oil level is perfect. Did not even move from the max line on the dipstick after letting it idle for fifteen minutes.

Last edited:
If the car was driven in to the oil change all warmed up the cat was eating the smoke. It cooled down during the change and now you see the blue. Warm it up/ drive it and it should go away.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If the car was driven in to the oil change all warmed up the cat was eating the smoke. It cooled down during the change and now you see the blue. Warm it up/ drive it and it should go away.

Never seen this........ i too perform oil change hot/warm, need rag or a glove.....

?

If this were true wouldn't the car be a fog machine every time it was started cold until warmup?

Do you mean valve steam seals? Agreed though, drive it around some and see if it stops or continues.

this engine is notorious for oil consumption (my friends call it the vw 2.0/2 stroke, lol)

you need to get the engine looked at by VW and they may honour a tsb for the engine

VW Technical Service Bulletin 1701-01

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl945d.htm

basically the rings were not installed properly (no stagger) or didn't seat in the block, turning your car into a 100:1 two stroke engine (lol i only drive vw diesels)

the 20w50 was used to hide the engine problem, the repair requires new rings and honing the cylinder bores, my friend had her engine repaired by the dealer under the tsb,

oh, you will also need a cat converter, its probably plugged with engine blowby

sorry for the bad news

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
this engine is notorious for oil consumption (my friends call it the vw 2.0/2 stroke, lol)

you need to get the engine looked at by VW and they may honour a tsb for the engine

VW Technical Service Bulletin 1701-01

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl945d.htm

basically the rings were not installed properly (no stagger) or didn't seat in the block, turning your car into a 100:1 two stroke engine (lol i only drive vw diesels)

the 20w50 was used to hide the engine problem, the repair requires new rings and honing the cylinder bores, my friend had her engine repaired by the dealer under the tsb,

oh, you will also need a cat converter, its probably plugged with engine blowby

sorry for the bad news

shocked.gif

Dang, we just found a use for 20W-50!

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
many foreign "brands" are made in the USA
Offtopic, but even though they call themselves "Honda USA" or whatever (I read the fine print of some of the commercials sometimes...lol), curious how much that USA $$$ actually "stays" in the U.S. of A.....?

well, actually alot does, particularly if you have a stock portfolio

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/snapshot/snapshot.asp?ticker=HMC:US

It probably doesn't make sense to get deep into this engine, since car probably doesn't cost that money. You can try squeeze out some miles. Try to dump LM Oil saver + LM MoS2, it may reduce smoke, you may also try to dump STP additive to thicken oil up. Or you can just top of with 5w-50 oil in winter and 20w-50 summer.
May try those restore products, worst-- you loose 5-$20 bucks if it doesn't work.
Check you PVC it might be clogged, something might trigger it clog.

Last edited:
@OP: blue/grey smoke sounds like injector problems, or excessive fuel during cold start. sounds coincidental but hey! what can you lose?

Try swapping back to your usual 20W50 and see if the smoking stops.

BTW: I wouldn't immediately jump the gun and add additives to the engine at this moment, but would revert to the previous form/state first and see how it goes.

Q.

Right - made in USA like so many other 'foreign' brands.

But is there any chance this car blew a head gasket? A coincidence with the oil change?

Going from zero to massive amounts of oil burning/use with one grade thinner does not compute to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back