History Channel Vietnam in HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three night series. Last night they covered 1964-67. Great combat footage. I expect tonight to cover 1968-70 and then Thursday will probably cover the last few years of the war. Check it out.

Thanks Chris for the info on this series. I missed last night, but I intend to watch or DVR tonight's 1968-1970. Those were my years in Vietnam.

Jim

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
HD video from the original film?

They like to call anything enhanced today as 'HD'. It draws attention. I've even heard it used on radio stations.
I believe what they did was transfer the original film footage onto hi def film. It is grainy at times but improved over the original and will will the screen of HD TV's. They may have done some cropping as well to intensify the subject matter.

Jim,
Check out the History Channel's website to see what tonight's topics will be. They may be covering something other than what I assume. The show runs from 8-10pm I believe.

7pm is a repeat of one of last night's show's(1964-1966). 8pm is Search & Destroy (1966-1967). 9pm is Tet Offensive and Endless War (1968-1969).

Dang, I only have over the air antenna, no history channel for me. This is a good series to watch, much better than dancing with the stars or biggest looser.

Chris, I have my DVR setup to record all of the segments. I wanted to see if they show anything that I haven't seen previously. I am looking forward to it.

Thanks again,

Jim

Jim,
I didn't know at the time but there is another new episode on at 10pm tonight. I think it will be repeated tomorrow night if you miss it tonight.

While I have no idea what kind of film was used in the footage being shown in this series, I do know that 35mm film is HD. Just look at the reruns of "Hogan's Heroes" that were shot on 35mm film.....just stunning in HD.

I was surprised at how the vets, when talking about "taking a hill"...that they just had to abandon it.....and those hills went back to the Viet Cong. No objectives. Just how many of "the enemy" you could kill.

Very "eye opening" series for me....who just missed being drafted during the lottery back in 1970.

Talk about nostalgia....I still have my draft card in my wallet and I'm 59 years old!

Remember to tune in tonight from 9-11pm for the final episode of the series. Around 7 or 8 there will be a re-run of last night's episode if you missed it. Good to hear from you again Jim. Hope all is well and have a pleasant Vet's Day tomorrow. I saw last night that they showed a little footage of a platoon in a little combat in Chu Lai in 1968. If I remember right, you spent some time there during your deployment.

Yes Chris, Chu Lai was my area of operations from 69-70 on Landing Zone(LZ)Gator.

I have already watched two of the segments and enjoyed them immensely. My deepest admiration and respect goes out to Col. Hal Moore and his men in the Battle of Ia Drang Valley in 1965 as depicted in the movie "We Were Soldiers". If you haven't seen that movie, you should rent it.

Thanks for the Veteran's Day greeting and I pass that along to all veterans as well.

I missed recording this.
frown.gif

If they mention the Battle of Soui Tre, 1967, please let me know. My dad survived that brutality.

I caught most of the episodes last night and it was pretty well done. The only thing I didn't like was how they would blend an actors voice with current day. It was distracting for me.

Chris, the Hamburger Hill, Siege at Khe Sanh and the Tet Offensive segments were awesome and chilling. A quick story, I arrived in Vietnam on May 9, 1969. The 101st Airborne troops were about to fight the battle at Hamburger Hill from May 10-20 of 1969. I was fearful of being assigned to the 101st Airborne as a replacement, but through divine intervention, was assigned to the Americal Division instead. I am thankful to this day.

I guess you were pretty satisfied with the overall program and the new rare footage? I talked to my Dad. He was on the carrier USS Intrepid and he said all of his mail came out of Chu Lai in 1967-68.

Yes, Chris, overall "Vietnam in HD" was excellent. I am getting good feedback from other friends and relatives as well.

Take care of yourself and thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back