Penn State scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's absolutely disgusting how many adults completely failed at protecting that kid. It's even worse how many more children were violated because of the inaction.

Originally Posted By: PeteTheFarmer
ESPN is reporting that Paterno will retire after the season

"That’s why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can"

Uhh..excuse me Joe..you are the problem. You need to go yesterday.

Last edited:
I saw that article too. It sounds like Paterno announced his retirement without consulting the Board of Trustees. Ultimately, it will be their decision whether he finishes out the season.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: PeteTheFarmer
ESPN is reporting that Paterno will retire after the season

"That’s why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can"

Uhh..excuse me Joe..you are the problem. You need to go yesterday.

I think his statement was dignified and appropriate. You can beat him up and hold him to a higher standard, but the truth is that there was only one woman (mother of the child who was molested in 2008) that did the right thing. Today, he did not make any excuses or point the finger. All the other parents, coaches, administrators etc failed to realize the gravity of the situation and take appropriate action. We can all be appalled and say of course we would have acted differently, but the reality is the people in Happy Valley are not that different than most of us. Gut check for everyone.

Originally Posted By: Burt

All the other parents, coaches, administrators etc failed to realize the gravity of the situation and take appropriate action. We can all be appalled and say of course we would have acted differently, but the reality is the people in Happy Valley are not that different than most of us. Gut check for everyone.

"Failed to realize the gravity of the situation" is probably the most positive possibility for what transpired. It's also highly likely that they knew exactly what happened and didn't ask questions because of the resulting implications for the program and the university. At the very least, it's a very clear cut case of willful indifference and a whole lot of passing the buck.

Mike McQueary was very graphic in regards to what he saw. He saw someone who was banned from showering with young children because of previous transgressions, sodomizing a young child.

When all this broke, I wanted to defend my former university and the coach that I've idolized since childhood. But then I read the grand jury report and couldn't believe it.

Originally Posted By: Burt

I think his statement was dignified and appropriate. You can beat him up and hold him to a higher standard, but the truth is that there was only one woman (mother of the child who was molested in 2008) that did the right thing. Today, he did not make any excuses or point the finger.

He could point the finger at himself. In his defense, he said he could have done more. What good for him ANDthe University can possibly result in him staying??? He is just gonna be another player in this Freak Show that that runs for the rest of the season.

Originally Posted By: kb01

"Failed to realize the gravity of the situation" is probably the most positive possibility for what transpired. It's also highly likely that they knew exactly what happened and didn't ask questions because of the resulting implications for the program and the university. At the very least, it's a very clear cut case of willful indifference and a whole lot of passing the buck.

This... Like I said, I wish we no longer played FB this season.

It will be interesting to see how much contributions decrease in the coming year and how the crowds are at the largest/second largest College Stadium in the Country.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al

This... Like I said, I wish we no longer played FB this season.

It will be interesting to see how much contributions decrease in the coming year and how the crowds are at the largest/second largest College Stadium in the Country.

I imagine contributions will drop but they'll still sell out every game. I still support the players, who did nothing wrong, and were just children when everything transpired.

I'd really like to see a strong statement from the university, preferably the resignation of Spanier and Paterno, in the near future. There's no excusing what happened. Let us support the players, without them being tainted by Paterno et al.

I have no doubt that we're only at the tip of the iceberg and there are many, deeper cover ups, families getting paid off, and God only knows what else. Up until this week, Sandusky still had an office near the locker room and was still an integral part of the Second Mile Foundation.

some talking heads on ESPN saying that Nebraska shouldn't even show up to play the game against Penn State if Joe Pa is still coaching. or Penn State shouldn't play football for the rest of the season. we'll see what happens

Penn State won't be banned and Nebraska will show up. Too much money involved not to. As for the incident I wonder why the eyewitness assistant didn't at least yell at Sandusky to stop? Better yet why didn't he go whoop his [censored]? Everybody talks about how people won't get involved and to me this is just another example of it. I guess I should be glad that he at least reported it to Paterno. Trouble is both he, Paterno and his superiors did the bare minimum that they could.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
some talking heads on ESPN saying that Nebraska shouldn't even show up to play the game against Penn State if Joe Pa is still coaching. or Penn State shouldn't play football for the rest of the season. we'll see what happens

Perhaps they have never been seniors in their final season? Would heartbreak kids that had nothing to do with the mismanagement by the school.

Granted, worse things have happened.

Philadelphia radio was playing all the chanting, rallys and interviews of students supporting Joe and PSU football. Apparently the student residents of HV want him to stay.

It's official, Joe Paterno FIRED. JoePa wanted to "retire" to avoid it, but it didn't work. I like his statement today where he said the board of trustees didn't have to waste another minute worrying if he should coach. Yeah, apparently they did. The students who chanted. oh well.

Joe Paterno fired!

The students who chanted. oh well.

Those students are just as stupid as JoePa and the other idiots/higher-ups at PSU that swept this under the rug for nearly a decade. Sorry to sound harsh, but you have to be crazy to support someone like that.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
The students who chanted. oh well.

Those students are just as stupid as JoePa and the other idiots/higher-ups at PSU that swept this under the rug for nearly a decade. Sorry to sound harsh, but you have to be crazy to support someone like that.

Yeah, PSU was kind of the laughing stock of Philly radio this AM because of that stuff.

I just saw on the local news that the police are out in riot gear since some of those alcohol-fueled idiots are out turning over cars and vandalizing and tearing down street lights. Penn State is synonymous with drinking and destroying the town.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
I just saw on the local news that the police are out in riot gear since some of those alcohol-fueled idiots are out turning over cars and vandalizing and tearing down street lights. Penn State is synonymous with drinking and destroying the town.

Way over blown..On a scale of 1 to 10 it was a '2'

Board made the right decision. Time to move on.

Last edited:
Quote:
Perhaps they have never been seniors in their final season? Would heartbreak kids that had nothing to do with the mismanagement by the school.

Granted, worse things have happened.

Philadelphia radio was playing all the chanting, rallys and interviews of students supporting Joe and PSU football. Apparently the student residents of HV want him to stay.

And this matters why? The seniors will get to play their game with or without Joe. Wonder if any one those rallying for Joe had a younger brother or relative that was molested by Sandouchey would be so cavalier about Joe coaching in this game, which all things considered here, isn't important at all.

I prefer to focus on the innocent victims here, and how this horrendous event was allowed to continue far longer than it should have or would have had a person in power stepped up and put a stop to it. And no one had more power than JoePa at Penn State, the buck stopped at his door.

But it is true, "worse things have happened", just ask the victims here and their families, doesn't get much worse.

"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke.

Glad to see the board of trustees made the right move. I wouldn't be suprised if Joe Pa's ridiculous statement yesterday that he was gonna retire after the season, so the board could stop worrying about him, was the straw that broke the camel's back. They had to make a strong statement that no one was bigger than the university and that they, not the football coach or even the president, have the final say.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back