Penn State scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
it doesnt seem that this is part of the story. What child is making accusations? Perhaps I missed that. All the discussion is that adults knew/saw/witnessed things going on. If this is the case, then I dont see how any denial is in the cards. It is peer witnesses.

There are several victims who are now in their 20s who are participating in the investigation. There are also reports of investigative work that took place in 1998 I think where detectives listened in on telephone calls between Sandusky and a kid's mother that were apparently pretty [censored]. So it's more than just some witnesses.

Joe Pa's press conference today should be fascinating.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp
it doesnt seem that this is part of the story. What child is making accusations? Perhaps I missed that. All the discussion is that adults knew/saw/witnessed things going on. If this is the case, then I dont see how any denial is in the cards. It is peer witnesses.

There are several victims who are now in their 20s who are participating in the investigation. There are also reports of investigative work that took place in 1998 I think where detectives listened in on telephone calls between Sandusky and a kid's mother that were apparently pretty [censored]. So it's more than just some witnesses.

jeff

Interesting, didnt read into everything terribly thoroghly.

But my point was more or less that it appears that there were other coaches and people who witnessed firsthand. The comment was in response to the claim that when it is a woman it is denied but when it is a kid it is not. My point is that this doesnt appear to have been a private my word against his situation... regardless of who was making the accusation.

Hate to say it, but this situation doesn't suprise me at all.

University culture in the US, especially for very old, well-established facilities, is VERY much a 'don't ask, don't tell' old boys club where risking your reputation is the worst thing you can do.

I'm actually suprised this doesn't happen more often.....

Originally Posted By: Al

jeff

Cancelled

Cowards. I love how they told the press that Joe Pa would only take questions about the upcoming game, what a joke. I guess they realized there was no way that was going to happen. Unless they delayed the press conference so Joe and his lawyers could draft his resignation speech for later this is the height of cowardice.

jeff

Cowards. I love how they told the press that Joe Pa would only take questions about the upcoming game, what a joke. I guess they realized there was no way that was going to happen. Unless they delayed the press conference so Joe and his lawyers could draft his resignation speech for later this is the height of cowardice.
jeff

There was zero point on holding this conference. They did the smart thing.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

I'm actually suprised this doesn't happen more often.....

You mean you are surprised that they don't get "caught" more.

so much for JoePa's legacy. instead of a legendary football coach great, he will be known for hiding a pedophile. I bet this pedophile didn't start doing this when he retired from Penn State.

You'd win that bet.

The first time he was observed by the team trainer or whatever was in 1998...he retired from the program in 1999 and then continued to run the camps and youth programs on campus. In total there were FIVE different occasions between 1998 and 2009 where someone with the school observed this scum bag in action.

There is NO excuse at all for someone from the school not reporting this to the authorities...The school didnt even bother to find out the name of the victim from 1998, never got his name, never checked to see if he was alright...nothing! Inexcusable IMO.

jeff

That would be the case in the late 90's where the mother called PSU and complained that her son had told her that he had showered with and been hugged by "scum bag" in the showers. The campus police headed the investigation...what was the outcome? Well, PSU took the bold step of demanding that "scum bag" refrain from showering/hugging naked boys in the showers...laughable at best. No report to the real police and no real action at all...setting the predator up for the next ten years of good hunting.

Kid diddlers should be exposed and stopped It is no longer socially winked at behavior. Diddled Kids lead to more kid diddling. As long as it doesn't frighten the horses no longer plays.

FTR...I've been doing some research...my timeline above is all out of wack...sorry for that...please ignore dates attached to allegations. And I should also note the 1998 event was apparently investigated by the local DA, not just the campus cops as I previously alleged.

Sad thing is Joe will be remembered for this instead of his coaching legacy. Legally he did what he was suppose to, but failed to follow up, as far as we know anyway, and the abuse continued. Right now Joe is probably history since there will be new admins and they have been wanting Joe to retire for quite a while now. The only choice he has is if he is fired or retires.

According to the Daily Collegian..the Board of Supervisors Meets in Old Main Tomorrow..its possible that......

But then again they may want to get their ducks in a row before Gov. Corbett attends the Fri Board Meeting. Yet I can't see the firing the day before the Nebraska game.

Last edited:
Penn State should clean house and co-operate fully. Paterno is one of many who had a moral and ethical responsibility to alert the Pennsylvania State Police when they learned that the grad student caught Sandusky in the shower with a young boy having sexual relations.

Despite how much of a good coach the man may have been, he made a judgement call so bad that it should cost him his job and his legacy (and quite a bit more, in my opinion). You're talking about the physical and mental well-being of potentially several young boys being placed in the balance against a good game of football? It's not hard to see what's right and what's wrong. The man is a great coach, but a despicable human being.

That's ONE of the big problems with Div. 1-A football today. A ton of corruption and improprieties along with cover-ups go on as long as you have a winning program. That's all the schools care about!

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
That's ONE of the big problems with Div. 1-A football today. A ton of corruption and improprieties along with cover-ups go on as long as you have a winning program. That's all the schools care about!

That's the long and short of it.

Football paid all the sports bills at PSU. Obviously the University will be losing 100's of millions through this. How are the sports proggrams going to be paid for now?? PSU has among the most elite facilities in the nation. Interesting to see how they pay for it.

They better start doing some belt tightening as PSU

Listening to the indicted Penn State officials' (AD/VP) lawyer yesterday made me want to puke. At this point I couldn't care less about the legalities involved here.

The officials involved here had a moral if not legal obligation to contact law enforcement immediately, period. Nothing more needs be said. To not escalate pedophilia charges to law enforcement is inexcusable, and ultimately criminal.

Based on the grand jury report, available online, time to clean house at Penn State.

As for the no Joe Pa presser yesterday, it's clear PS is in full CYA mode. Past time for Joe to step up, hold a presser, and address the allegations. SHAME.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Past time for Joe to step up, hold a presser, and address the allegations. SHAME.

It is too late for that. Joe has become senile in the last month..IMHO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back