WilI I Screw up using Toyota 0w-20 in older cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take care of 5 different vehicles. '98 LS400, '00 GS300, '01 IS300, '02 4 Runner, '01 Integra GSR. I've always used synthetics (Either Amsoil or Eneos) and mileage is from 110K to 170K. What will I screw up if I start using Toyota 0w-20 and change at 5K?

Last edited:
Uuummm...I definetly wouldn't. Some of those engines are higher-revving, higher output engines (the GS-R, the IS300, and the GS 300) that may not like a 0W-20 oil.

You're engines AFAIK, all call for 30-weight oils - why not just use an Amsoil 30-weight for all of them? Buy OE 5W-30 in bulk, and you'll save some $$$.

I'm running Valvoline Synpower 5W20 in '94 LS400 as of now, the engine is quieter and rev quicker.

My E430 had been using xW20 for more than 3 years now without problem. Similar to LS400, it is quieter with thinner oil.

When I change oil in my high strung S2000 engine I will use M1 AFE 0W20 in it.

Try Toyota 0w-20 in one of the cars to see if it works for you.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Uuummm...I definetly wouldn't. Some of those engines are higher-revving, higher output engines (the GS-R, the IS300, and the GS 300) that may not like a 0W-20 oil.

You're engines AFAIK, all call for 30-weight oils - why not just use an Amsoil 30-weight for all of them? Buy OE 5W-30 in bulk, and you'll save some $$$.

If unsure, and if your engine calls for a 30, try RL 0W-20. It a very light 30.

If you know your engine is small OR doesnt "need" a 30, try something like Castrol Edge or just regular old good Supertech 5W-20. I dont buy Castrol Edge because Supertech exists. And on a car that isnt particularly demanding on oil (as in any car that can do well on a 20,) Supertech is fine for me.

What Toyota? Im re-reading now.
EDIT: Ok.. give ST 5W-20 on the four, RL 0W-20 on the 4runner. Id imagine the 4Runner would most need the light 30 of Redline 0W-20.

You can check the following application list from Toyota:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2144765&page=1

If the engine has been back spec'd then you're good to go.
If not then it depends on how the vehicle is being used. Since we're talking winter use, if the vehicles are being used normally; i.e., no extreme use like lots of full throttle acceleration, 100 mph+ cruising or towing heavy loads in the case of the 4 Runner, then I don't see a problem.

I wouldn't mess with what the engine isn't spec'd for. Why test fate? Might be OK but if something goes wrong it could be a very bad (expensive) day.

Some of the engine's internal parts are held in suspension by the oil. A prime example is the rotating crankshaft. The crankshaft is held in suspension by the oil between the bearings of the main journals and the main bearing caps. If the oil is not thick enough to fill the clearance around the crankshaft between the main journals and the main caps, the crankshaft is not going to be held in suspension and you'll have metal to metal contact between the crankshaft and it's supporting bearings. The only way you could get away with using 0W-20 in all of the cars is if the clearances of all the cars were the specified the same as the one car that uses the 0W-20.

Why is everyone so hesitant on using the 0w-20 in my VTec? Looks to me like a higher revving engine would thrive on a lighter oil...

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Why is everyone so hesitant on using the 0w-20 in my VTec? Looks to me like a higher revving engine would thrive on a lighter oil...

Dr Haas would, you can too.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP

Dr. Haas has plenty of money to replace the engine if something goes wrong. Not everybody has that luxury.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: 45ACP

Dr. Haas has plenty of money to replace the engine if something goes wrong. Not everybody has that luxury.

It has nothing to do with money and Ali Haas is not taking any chances.
What he has in his toys, are oil gauges so he knows exactly what the operational viscosity is at any given time, so he knows if an oil is becoming too light. As it turns out the oils he runs never does become too light the way he uses his cars.

Oil gauges are not expensive to install in vehicles that don't come with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back