Digital clock on stove is slowing down. Why???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. In the last 6 months, or so, I have noticed that the digital clock on my electric range is slowing down. I'll sync it with the microwave clock, and another clock, and after a few weeks, it will be about a minute slow. What's the fix? Is this common? Thanks.

I believe clocks keep track of time by the 60hz frequency used in our 120v AC electrical systems. I'd imagine the frequency varies slightly by a few hertz, and after a while this adds up and results in the clock being a minute or two off.

If the kitchen appliance itself is moving at very high velocities then the Relativity Theory can explain the observed time difference!

If it's the true digital type (LED or LCD) then you clock crystal maybe going out, or the rest of the circuity going out, or a combination of both.

Q.

I was going to say it was your clock, until I read about an experiment on our nations power supply.

Our power system "used" to be regulated to 60 hertz, with a tolerance of only +/- only 0.05 hertz. It had to be that tight since everything is interconnected.

Read this: Power Grid Change

My guess is that a capacitor somewhere in the clock circuit is slowing going out of spec, probably a electrolytic one, after a while the heat from the stove is likely drying the gel like electrolyte inside the cap which changes it value.

There are quite a few excellent independent appliance repair forums that might have the exact info you need. google a bit with the appliance name and the problem .

I had this same problem with my range clock a few years ago. It always lost time no matter how close I set it to the microwave clock. Finally I called a repair shop to see how much they would charge to diagnose and fix it, and the guy suggested unplugging the whole thing and leaving it unplugged overnight before plugging it back in again.

Guess what? That fixed it. It's been keeping perfect time for the past 5 years.

If it's a mechanical clock, it's a mechanical problem. They're in a nasty environment with all the heat, cooking grease fumes, etc. They get gummed-up and eventually stop, at least ours did. I cleaned & lubed it once, got it restarted, but then the synchronous motor bound-up and it doesn't run at all. It currently shows "5:47". So, as the old joke goes, "it's right twice a day"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back