Amsoil Z-Rod 10W-30 (ZRT) with TBN and TAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt many people will be interested in this VOA, as it's a niche oil, but I think I am going to LOVE this oil for my purposes. I intend to use this oil in all the equipment for my son's lawn mowing/landscaping business, which typically takes 10W-30 in everything. All the equipment is air cooled, some with filters, some without. Being a "heavy" 30-weight, it's just the right weight for the equipment. Plus, it is heavily friction-modified, unlike ASE, (and the MCT I was using). However, similar to the MCT, it has extra corrosion/rust inhibitors, which is great for lawn equipment some of which sees infrequent or intermittent use. Finally, the high TBN should enable me to go an entire season without changing the oil, so I can just change it once a year at the end of the season. Look at the TAN! 4.8! That is the highest virgin TAN I have seen on a motor oil. Also an excellent flash point.

Comments?
E77762.jpg

Pretty easy to boost the moly yourself if you so desire. I'm curious why the starting TAN is so high. Maybe a call/email to Amsoil would explain that?

True synthetics, like Amsoil, have a naturally high TAN..

Looks to be a very stout oil for a hard driven vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've just begun to use this oil in about a dozen
muscle/collector cars along with Amsoil HDD. Pulling a couple
of plugs showed excellent coverage in the cylinders. We're
pleased that Amsoil offers the ZRT and HDD oils. Their specs
are superb !

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
We've just begun to use this oil in about a dozen
muscle/collector cars along with Amsoil HDD. Pulling a couple
of plugs showed excellent coverage in the cylinders. We're
pleased that Amsoil offers the ZRT and HDD oils. Their specs
are superb !
Do you have any specs on the HDD? I have yet to find any in the VOA section on this site.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Pretty easy to boost the moly yourself if you so desire. I'm curious why the starting TAN is so high. Maybe a call/email to Amsoil would explain that?

Very true, but why spend the money on expensive oil just to add additive to it. IMO it should already be there. Moly isn't a cure all I myself like it to be included in the the product I choose. Everyone know Amsoil hasn't been big on Moly and they still have success

Imagine if this stuff had 300+ moly in it. I promise you you wouldn't see any amsoil haters.

I'm wondering if the TAN has anything to do with the base stocks? I have seen other highend syns with a high starting TAN aswell. Maybe some Ester in this product? Pablo?

Last edited:
No VOA's are listed here unless someone contributes to
pay for and list the results of a VOA. To us, the
HDD has been around a while and is a superb oil.
We'll do a UOA after a period of use in the cars it's
used in, but we are not the least bit concerned about
it's performance potential. We do both VOA's and complete
UOA's including TBN, TAN and particle counts ( and more )
on the oils we use.

I have 1 or 2 cases of this in my Stash, and have wanted to put 6 1/3 quarts in my 01 SilverStone Metallic Jeep Cherokees 63,620 mile 4.0 for some Good Flat-Tappet protection on those 4,200 RPM Jaunts.

I have not seen a VOA in quite some time on HDD. If you surf the net you can find them from many years ago but im sure the producted has updated

No doubt it has. But the current Amsoil specs listed
satisfied us to use it. It appears it may have few equals !

Thanks for poting this - was ver curious about this oil.

I too thought it would have far more moly and boron in the mix, but still a very stout oil.

High TAN and flashpoint indicate large amounts of Esters in the base oil.

An interesting oil with a lot of phos' (1313 ppm).
With a HTHSV of 3.6cP it's heavier than most cars it's intended for actually need; it's almost if not a 40wt oil.
Of course you could always cut this oil 50/50 with one of Amsoil's 20wts and have a lighter 30wt still with a Phos' level over 1,000 ppm.

I do like the HHD 5W-30 better for it's higher 169 VI and slightly lower HTHSV of 3.5cP.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
An interesting oil with a lot of phos' (1313 ppm).
With a HTHSV of 3.6cP it's heavier than most cars it's intended for actually need; it's almost if not a 40wt oil.
Of course you could always cut this oil 50/50 with one of Amsoil's 20wts and have a lighter 30wt still with a Phos' level over 1,000 ppm.

I do like the HHD 5W-30 better for it's higher 169 VI and slightly lower HTHSV of 3.5cP.

You're absolutely right - this oil would be great to cut with any one of the SS line - they have high moly/boron.

That would make a killer oil....

Between the two oils, we prefer the HDD too. The primary reason for using the ZRT is not the ZDDP levels, but the very strong rust/corrosion protection it offers over long winter
storage. There are few oils available ( other than Joe Gibbs ) that provide this very worthwhile extra benefit.

Thanks so much for doing this VOA. This is the oil that I currently have in my Dodge 440. Looks like I'll be continuing to use it.

Wonder if I should put this in my '06 GTO instead of ASL (see sig.)...

Pablo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back