2011 F150-5.0 V8-first change 2285 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the UOA for the factory fill, changed at 2285 miles. The IOLM was 80%.
Code:

Fe 26

Cr 0

Ni 0

Al 7

Cu 29

Pb 0

Sn 0

Cd 0

Ag 0

V 0

Si 39

Na 11

K 19

Ti 0

Mo 66

Sb 0

Mn 20

Li 0

B 139

Mg 9

Ca 1851

Ba 1

P 699

Zn 708

Fuel dilution 1.2

Soot
Water
Viscosity, 100c 7.6

The lab flagged high copper and silicon. Also Manganese.

This is why I don't let new engines run more than 3,000 miles without a change. BTW: the fill is Kendall GT-1 Syn Blend 5W-20. I will probably run it until the OLM is 20% and run another UOA.

This is the aluminum block, four cam direct injection 5.0 engine introduced this year. Sump capacity is 7.7 qts. (I now have 9.2 ounces of oil left over...)

Good showing for a FF. They usually have a lot more wear-in. This should be a nice engine just going from this little snapshot.

Fuel is a little high and vis. is low (thin). Just something in the future to keep an eye on. Just being picky.

Last edited:
I stand corrected - the EcoBoost is DI.
Frankly, I'm a little relieved. I'd like somebody else to be the first year guinea pig.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
How do you like your truck, and the new 5.0?

This is my first new Ford. I bought it to use as a car, since I have a Duramax dually for serious hauling.

I'm really happy with it so far. It's very comfortable and drives really well. The 5.0 has a ton of power and is getting over 17 mpg for the first 2500 miles.

Originally Posted By: AITG
Here's the UOA for the factory fill, changed at 2285 miles. The IOLM was 80%.
Code:

Fe 26

Cr 0

Ni 0

Al 7

Cu 29

Pb 0

Sn 0

Cd 0

Ag 0

V 0

Si 39

Na 11

K 19

Ti 0

Mo 66

Sb 0

Mn 20

Li 0

B 139

Mg 9

Ca 1851

Ba 1

P 699

Zn 708

Fuel dilution 1.2

Soot
Water
Viscosity, 100c 7.6

The lab flagged high copper and silicon. Also Manganese.

This is why I don't let new engines run more than 3,000 miles without a change. BTW: the fill is Kendall GT-1 Syn Blend 5W-20. I will probably run it until the OLM is 20% and run another UOA.

This is the aluminum block, four cam direct injection 5.0 engine introduced this year. Sump capacity is 7.7 qts. (I now have 9.2 ounces of oil left over...)

Si is from sealers and new aluminum. Copper is from sealers. While I changed my 2011 5.0 early as well I dont find those numbers at all bothersome for a new engine.

Ive been driving a 5.0 Mustang for almost 18 months. How do you figure your the guinea pig?

Edit: Just figured out you meant about it not being DI. They have the injectors as close to DI as they could get without putting them in the head. 80% of the gains with 20% of the cost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K

Ive been driving a 5.0 Mustang for almost 18 months. How do you figure your the guinea pig?

Edit: Just figured out you meant about it not being DI. They have the injectors as close to DI as they could get without putting them in the head. 80% of the gains with 20% of the cost.

I said I didn't want to be a guinea pig for the EcoBoost. It may turn out to be swell. Then again ...

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Looks good, anyway!
What lab is this?

Polaris.

So far both of my Ecoboost trucks are doing fine. My wife bought the first one to replace her '09 4X4 Platinum. It's another 4X4 Platinum in Red Candy with 3.55 gears.
I bought my EB FX4 about 2 months later; Sterling Silver with standard gearing at 3.73.

Hers already has 20k miles and has been taken on several trips from Houston,Texas to Bisbee, Arizona, to visit her sister. The difference between her old 5.4 truck and this new one is night and day.

In particular, when driving from Kerrville,TX west to El Paso, Tx on I-10 the speed limit is 80 mph. The grades (climbing) heading that way are brutal, so brutal that the 5.4 would have to climb most of them in 5th gear and many in 4th just to stay at
80 mph. The run between Kerrville and El Paso broke that truck down like a shotgun.

Her new EB Platinum is essentially the same truck excepting the engine and it never downshifts for the grades. We filled up in Kerrville, got on I-10 and the truck upshifted into 6th and never left that gear until we slowed down for gas in Fort Stockton.

Very pleased with both of these trucks. They are incredibly fast for something that weighs just shy of 6000 lbs with the aerodynamics of a house. So far the gas mileage has been as low as 16 and as high as 20 in hers with the 3.55's.

The FX4 hasn't been on that drive (yet) but it manages 17 - 19 mpg in around Houston and I gun it a lot. This is the first truck I have owned that doesn't strangle for wind at 100 mph. As a matter of fact it blasts up to 100 with nary a hint of strain. When I'm driving it seems like every time I look down I'm doing 80 -90 mph.

So in a sum total of 30k miles between the both of them we haven't had the first problem - no oil consumption, gas guzzling or any thing else that is supposed to bedevil these things.

Having said that, only time will tell........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back