F-150 Ecoboost - Amsoil AZO or Mobil Delvac 222?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: Nick R
I definitely don't think amsoil is bad. Not at all, but for most people I don't think it's worth the premium, when oils which are probably just as good are available in any walmart or auto parts store, for cheaper.

That's how I see it. They make very good oil, no doubt about it. I still think their additive chemistry lags behind. It always has actually. They were last to jump on board with moly, and their new oils look identical to M1 from 2006. Their pre-GF-4 oils had oxidation issues. They even ran some add one time in their Action News magazine from a new customer who trashed it RP because of moly. They continually use the 4- ball wear test, as if that comes close to replicating the IVA or IIIG. I just don't like their marketing practices. They could do better. I've heard quite a few respectable people over the years say Amsoil has been a sleezy company. I think it's changing though and for the better.

Sounds like Amsoil is following Mobil 1

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Since this thread is about extreme cold performance that leaves Amsoil out in the cold (pun intended) since they do not provide MRV spec's.

Is MRV required?

As for Amsoil's performance in extreme cold, it will be great. I think 30+ years of cold performance using CCS is more than adequate.

Originally Posted By: Bayman

Technically they are not. They just choose a different path than Mobil 1. Amsoil is not and has never been a "sleezy" company and certainly don't believe everything you read on an internet chat site.

Next we'll start the Amway comparisons!

As someone who bought Amsoil for over a decade and used it in every car, truck, boat, RV, ATV, Jet Ski, etc., I feel confident telling anyone that it is a GREAT product.

We still use it in our 'money' motors and for track days in my car.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Since this thread is about extreme cold performance that leaves Amsoil out in the cold (pun intended) since they do not provide MRV spec's.

Is MRV required?
As for Amsoil's performance in extreme cold, it will be great. I think 30+ years of cold performance using CCS is more than adequate.

Yes MRV is required since the OP wanted the comparison at temp's down to -40 degrees. Besides even comparing the CCS spec's at -35C AZO is the heaviest and that's despite having the lowest HTHSV of only 3.1cP. Even the GP III based PC 0W-30 (which has a higher HTHSV of 3.2cP) has a lower CCS.
If I had to estimate I'd put AZO's MRV in the 28,000cP-30,000cP range.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I'd used an approved oil for the application. If you want to use something other than Motorcraft, check your manual for the spec Ford requires, and find an oil that meets that spec. Go from there.

Well said. No worries and very cost effective too if you use the MC product.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I definitely don't think amsoil is bad. Not at all, but for most people I don't think it's worth the premium, when oils which are probably just as good are available in any walmart or auto parts store, for cheaper.

That's how I see it. They make very good oil, no doubt about it. I still think their additive chemistry lags behind. It always has actually. They were last to jump on board with moly, and their new oils look identical to M1 from 2006. Their pre-GF-4 oils had oxidation issues. They even ran some add one time in their Action News magazine from a new customer who trashed it RP because of moly. They continually use the 4- ball wear test, as if that comes close to replicating the IVA or IIIG. I just don't like their marketing practices. They could do better. I've heard quite a few respectable people over the years say Amsoil has been a sleezy company. I think it's changing though and for the better.

I recall a discussion very similar to this during the summer I think. I still say XOM leads and their competition follows. But then again JMO.

Technically they are not. They just choose a different path than Mobil 1. Amsoil is not and has never been a "sleezy" company and certainly don't believe everything you read on an internet chat site.

I did not say that Amsoil was a SLEEZY company.

You are correct in that we should not believe everything that we read on an internet chat site. We probably should not believe everything that we read on the Amsoil or Mobil 1 Website.

I did not say that Amsoil was a SLEEZY company.

You are correct in that we should not believe everything that we read on an internet chat site. We probably should not believe everything that we read on the Amsoil or Mobil 1 Website.

Not saying you did, but someone above used that word. Misspelled and all.

I agree, don't believe the marketing words. The spec data is relatively correct on most sites.

Quote:
Not saying you did, but someone above used that word. Misspelled and all.

I said it and it's what some in the industry think of Amsoil, especially their past. Those were their words. Sorry, "sleazy". Better?

I think Amsoil is more of a quality product now than it used to be. I would not be concerned using any of their products. I have used their products. I don't buy all the hype, but that's another story.

Just did my first OC on our company Ecoboost F150. I used Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended performance. I've had good results with Mobil 1 in general, even with the supposed higher iron readings. None of my engines has ever worn out. That's saying something, because I drive a lot.

And.....we've cut the reported iron in UOA's more than half by switching from Mobil 1 to Amsoil SSO and now AZO. Our engines will undoubtedly benefit since we drive a lot also

Bottom line is....it's ones preference. For us, the fact that Amsoil may not be "officially" approved doesn't mean a tinkers [censored]. It's a great oil !

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
And.....we've cut the reported iron in UOA's more than half by switching from Mobil 1 to Amsoil SSO and now AZO. Our engines will undoubtedly benefit since we drive a lot also

Bottom line is....it's ones preference. For us, the fact that Amsoil may not be "officially" approved doesn't mean a tinkers [censored]. It's a great oil !

I doubt they will benefit at all. That is not what UAO's are designed to determine.

Your opinion..which to us...means NOTHING !

Likewise!

Years ago someone on the TDI forum had a analytical ferrography done and the oil that had 2x the Fe wear actually had LOWER wear. The particles were smaller.

I think Amsoil is more of a quality product now than it used to be. I would not be concerned using any of their products. I have used their products. I don't buy all the hype, but that's another story.

Isn't Mobil 1 more widely known than Amsoil? I understand if you don't like them pushed/favored as a better Extended Drain/Performance oil than Mobil 1, but other than that. What hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back