Tire Recommendation for '07 Acura MDX

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 2007 Acura MDX will probably need new tires soon. The tread looks good but the sidewalls are looking a little dry and I've got a vibration at 70ish MPH and a good alignment. They've got the oem 255/55r18 Bridgestones on them. Don't remember the model for myself but Tirerack lists them at Dueler H/L 500.

Any good recommendations for this car?

You're in Kansas...is winter weather a factor? What else do you prefer in a tire? American-made? Quiet? Comfortable? Good traction? Everyone wants everything, but if you let us know what's most important, we can made a good recommendation.

We do have winter weather here but this car hasn't had much of a problem with it with the original Bridgestones on it. I'm thinking of a good all-season. Should probably care if it is American made but that's not my primary concern. Quiet would be nice but good all around traction would be better (especially in rain and snow). We don't do much off-roading but do go camping and on dirt-roads once in a great while.

Anything else that would be helpful to narrow down my choices?

That's good info. Here are the tires I'd consider, in the order they finished in CR's very recent 2011 test of all season light truck tires. All of these are made in the United States according to Tire Rack's database.

+ Continental CrossContact LX20
+ Michelin Latitude Tour HP
+ General Grabber HTS

In CR's testing, all of these tested "Excellent" for both wet and dry braking, and "Very Good" and "Good" for snow traction and ice braking respectively. All three also scored "Very Good" and "Excellent" for ride and noise respectively. All had "Good" tread life.

Differences are the Continental got "Very Good" for handling and the others got "Good". The Michelin got "Very Good" for rolling resistance and the others got "Good". The Michelin placed ahead of the General because of the better rolling resistance score. The Continental placed ahead of both of the others because of the better handling score.

Your OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 tires were not tested, but the similar Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza was, and it finished mid-pack at best. Any of these three will be a positive improvement over your Bridgestones.

Hope this helps.

The size 255/55-18 is fairly expensive and not a lot of choices. These tires are rated high by consumers on Tirerack, fairly good tread-life and perform well on wet and light snow and reasonably priced: General Grabber HTS, Yokohama AVID ENVigor and Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Of these tires, Yokohama is cheapest at $153 and Continental is most expensive at $199 from Tirerack.

If you have Discount Tire in your city, try to get the lowest price and asking DT to price match.

Last edited:
If you search for 235/45-17 on Tirerack you'll find 97 tires, 245/45-17 yields 101 tires, more than 60-70 choices is good and less than 50 is limited !

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you search for 235/45-17 on Tirerack you'll find 97 tires, 245/45-17 yields 101 tires, more than 60-70 choices is good and less than 50 is limited !

My car lists 3 winter tire choices on DTD.. I'd call that limited
27.gif

I think pretty much any of those listed are better than the oem tires. I guess it depends on if you are buying local or not.. and if so what is available for a deal locally.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

The Yokohama AVID ENVigor does get good reviews

I have heard great things about Yokohama tires generally but one thing that crops up a lot is mediocre winter traction.

I have the michelin latitude tour hp on my used 2007 MDX and think they are wonderful for the vehicle. Not sure if OEM tire, snow capabilities or price. But I would consider them again.

The Latitude Tour HP is the other OEM tire option for this vehicle, besides the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400.

I have the OEM Michelin Cross Terrain tires on my '05 MDX (previous generation), and if the OEM Latitudes are as good as the OEM Cross Terrains, the Latitude will be a great tire.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Sorry, I'm used to only finding 5 or 6 choices in my size! So 30+ seemed like a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back