WD-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use on the bike when I clean the chain or cassette to displace water and on tire chains. Other than that, it's a worthless penetrant. I've never liked PB Blaster for some reason. Penetro is my favorite.

I use it to clean dirts and old grease before re-greasing, general car and tools cleaning, but mostly for it's rust protection.
Although it may not be the best out here, it's very cheap by the gallon.

In the winter, every week or two, I completely spray the under side of my cars with hot water to disolve as much salt as possible ( the quantities they pour here every winter is enormous !!! ).
Then, after the dripping stops, I spray WD40 generously on the under side . Since it displace water, the under carriage get instantly water/salt free . Try it on a piece of metal to see it for yourself. Awesome.

For maximum protection, I let it dry for 24 hours before driving. This way, the WD40 dries to a thick paste that is tenacious to remove ( except with WD40...)

I will keep you posted in 10 years for the results
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: fuel tanker man
"Have y`all ever heard of WD-40 being used as a fish attractant? Like scent on a fishing lure? Seems like I remember reading that somewhere."

I've found that 3 in 1 oil works pretty well for a fish lure. I suppose WD-40 would work also.

I guess I'm odd man out here. I lube my guns with WD-40 and have had no problems. I use it on my garden tools, as well as my mechanic's tools to prevent rust.

I lube the kid's bike chains with it. Not a problem--ever.

It works for me.
smile.gif

Dan

Same here. Used it for 5 years in Alaska on my hunting rifles- nary a speck of rust. Still use it today.

Check this link out- WD did pretty well against some stiff competition, and you can catch the heck outta catfish with it. (Can't do that that with Cosmoline or Breakfree, LOL)

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10700...t_Preventatives

I use WD-40 as a cleaner. Tools, hinges, whatever I want to clean some mild grime off whilst leaving a light protective coating on. I concur with almost everyone in this thread...as a penetrant, WD40 is next to worthless. But I find penetrating oils like PB-blaster are too smelly and grimy to use for anything other then loosening fasteners...so for everything else, there is WD-40. Doesn't overly smell, its clear, and leaves a nice shine that isn't sticky or greasy looking. Makes for a good engine detailer too, though it can attract dust. As a rust protector, its very good.

Last edited:
Used ft a few times for cleaning soap scum from inside the shower doors....left that nice garage smell. Unfortunately, wifey didn't like it so I'm no longer allowed to clean the shower...
frown.gif
er,
smile.gif

I think it's great stuff, but it's price is obsene for what it is. If it was priced competitively I would use loads of it if it were priced appropriately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back