M1 5W-30 , Subaru 2004 Forester XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil type with viscosity = M1 5W-30
Miles on the oil = 3,799
Vehicle type = Subaru Forester XT Turbo 2.5L H4 (Boxer)
Oil in service = 2.5 months
Driving style = Agressive
Oil Filter = OEM Subaru
Air Filter = Green Filter
Season = Winter and cold here, oil temps range from 140 - 170°F at highway speeds.

-

I have the a write up on my site here:
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4718

But you need to register (it's free) to see it. This is a cut and paste of the important stuff:

I've reached the 30,000 mile mark on my 2004 Forester XT. I decided to have my oil analysis done to see how the motor is doing. I've been a little concerned of late because the overflow tank for my anti-freeze seems to need a little topping off from time to time to meet the cold mark when cold. With all the head gasket problems around I was a little worried. Some quick background on how I broke in the motor other than the taking it easy up to 1K miles.

I've only used OEM Subaru Oil filters to date and change it every time I change the oil. I did my first oil change at 1,000 miles with Castrol GTX 10W-30 standard (dino) oil, then changed it at 4, and 7K with the same type of oil. At 10,000 I switched to Royal Purple 10W-30 Synthetic and kept with the 3,000 mile change intervals. I did switch to Moble One 10W-30 Synthetic at around 23,000 miles. In the winters colder months I run 5W-30 weight oil. Other things, I put in a bottle (the large one that treats 20 gal) of TechTron Fuel system cleaner every 4-5K. I've installed a Catch Can on the motor. I've been running w/o the intake silencer and a Green Filter installed for most of the motor's life. A Green Filter is similar to a K&N Washable filter but IMHO better quality.

Regards,

[ February 17, 2005, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Peaty ]

Nice report, I love the 2.5 turbo motor! I went to test drive the new WRX with a friend, but the salesman wouldn't let two 23 year old males
drive it because it was raining?
dunno.gif
I told him not to worry it was all wheel drive, but he didn't see the humor in it and said no.

GF-4 oil works fine in this engine. Lets face it, some engines are just made better than others and are not "specific" oil dependent.

quote:

Originally posted by Superglide:
Nice report, I love the 2.5 turbo motor! I went to test drive the new WRX with a friend, but the salesman wouldn't let two 23 year old males
drive it because it was raining?
dunno.gif
I told him not to worry it was all wheel drive, but he didn't see the humor in it and said no.

Was it the WRX STi? The WRX (non STi) has the 2.0L turbo, the STi as the 2.5L. The Forester XT has the same motor as the STi. Mine has been modified to a Cobb Stage 2. Remapped ECU, 3" Turbo back and other goodies. About 285 BHP/319 ft/lbs of torque with the 93 oct MAP. I've been super happy with it. Not bad for a station wagon,quite the sleeper.

Peaty -
Very good report, especially considering the mods you've done. The silicon is just a tad high - maybe the air filter? How long have you had the Cobb Stage 2? Any suspension mods?

quote:

Originally posted by harrydog:
Peaty -
Any suspension mods?

Yep, have a look around on his site under Mods/Forester.
smile.gif
STi sedan Swaybar, Forester STi springs, wheels/tires, etc.

-Dennis

quote:

Originally posted by harrydog:
Peaty -
Very good report, especially considering the mods you've done. The silicon is just a tad high - maybe the air filter? How long have you had the Cobb Stage 2? Any suspension mods?

I've had the Cobb 2 since this summer.

I have Forester JDM STi springs, WRX STi 20mm Rear sway bar, Poltec endlinks and Oz Superleggra 17" wheels on 225/50 Falken tires. Helps a lot. (brakes are upgraded too
smile.gif
)There is a full list here:

http://www.subaruforester.com/viewtopic.php?t=4980

third one down.

Pics of my XT are my site here:

http://tinyurl.com/4ggm9

These boxer engines do very well on PAO-based synthetics: Mobil 1, Amsoil (if my memory is correct) and Ed Hackett has had good luck with RP.

--- Bror Jace

Sorry I have to watch that, I normally put F-XT
smile.gif
My other car is an Outback VDC Wagon with the H6. I Like the XT6 though those are sweet. I hardly ever see them on the road anymore though
frown.gif

Hi Peaty! (you probably think Im stalkin ya!!)
grin.gif

Nice report. I only have about 9500 miles on mine and I will get uoa done at 13000 to see how the boxer is doing.

I have the same problem with my coolant resivior as of late. I haven't topped it up yet but I think its becuz I beat the poop out of it sometimes. Please keep us posted on your coolant situation.

Something to keep an eye on are the hoses that feed the oil cooler, I've seen two reports of them leaking due to the clamp slipping and also there are a few well hidden hoses up by the upper tank that holds the radiator cap. One guy had that seeping some. I've been over my motor with a bright light and could not find any coolant traces. I really think it's due to frequent high speed runs. A combination of flashing off past the radiator cap and evaporation. It's very hard to not drive this motor hard because it seems to like it so much
grin.gif
I just had my coolant flushed at the dealer and they seemed to fill the overflow way too high. I have to watch it because it's so close to the top I think when it expands it may just overflow the overflow
rolleyes.gif

I've noticed on my WRX that it also seems to lose a tiny bit of coolant over 3-4 months or so and starts dipping below the cold mark. Sounds like it's normal?

I think you'll find that if you switch back to the OEM air filter the Silicon levels will drop.

You should also be able to run out to 7500 miles without any problems, either...

Will do. I'm gonna go out this pm and check out the coolant and oil levels. I haven't seen any obvious leaks either but I drive the carp out of my xt too and it is 50% water right so I think its just evaporating. I could be wrong but I will keep an eye out for leaks.

quote:

Originally posted by Dave:
I've noticed on my WRX that it also seems to lose a tiny bit of coolant over 3-4 months or so and starts dipping below the cold mark. Sounds like it's normal?

Same here with my WRX and now my FXT.

-Dennis

Just a follow up, here is my next analysis.
 -

I was a little curious about the oil this time because I went to the drag strip a few times. Now that it's getting warmer my last oil change was with 10W-30 M1. I continue to see slight drops in coolant level in the overflow tank. Nothing huge but measureable. Since there is no trace in the oil I can only assume it's flashing off through the radiator cap. considering my driving style I'm not all that surprised
wink.gif

Awesome report, Peaty. It's good to see that wear metals on the 2.5 turbos do come down. In my opinion you should post this new result in it's own thread, so it's easier to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back