Used /Waste Oil 5-gallon Jug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ChrisJH
Am I nuts because I bought one of those oil drain pans with the drain plugs on it?

I think it holds 12 or 15 qts (must be 15 based on how much oil I change at once) and luckily fits under all my vehicles. Change all 3 vehicles worth of oil right into the pan, screw on the drain plug, bring to AutoZone and drain out.

+1

I have a 15 qt jug that I bought at Walmart. My car holds 6 qts so it will hold two oil changes. paid $3 for it. Well worth the $ IMHO as it's real thick plastic and seals up real good.

Originally Posted By: Billbert
Originally Posted By: wsar10
you could get a 5gal bucket with a lid for $ 2.00 !
And as you empty it you spill it everywhere?

yeah.... pouring liquid from a 5 gal bucket is not rocket science
smile.gif

We recycle our used oil. Some gets poured on the deck of a flatbed to preserve the wood, the rest goes in the brush pile burn.

I do a good bit of plumbing and heating work on the side and I try to give my used oil to customers that have waste oil furnaces.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I utilize used plumbing anti-freeze, windshield washer, oil, ATF, coolant, or water jugs to transport my used oil. I write "USED OIL" on the outside and drop it off at the oil depot.

I do the same. Use whatever 5 litre jugs I have laying around to store and transport used oil.

Originally Posted By: Whizbanger
We recycle our used oil. Some gets poured on the deck of a flatbed to preserve the wood, the rest goes in the brush pile burn.

Plus its good for the water table!

Im under the impression that used oil is very bad to spread around, but new oil isn't nearly so bad

I have two 5gal steel pails with the pull-out plastic spouts. One was for the sealer the concrete guy used on our driveway, the other was a container for military 10w-30 engine oil. I've had that one since about '95.

When one gets full I can use the other and take the full one in at my convenience. With six licensed vehicles, it's good to have spare capacity when more than one come up on OC at about the same time.

I just use the 5qt jug that the new oil was in. I then take it back to Walmart and tell them I changed my mind and get my money back!......JK

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I use 2.5 gallon liquid detergent containers to store used oils. When I filled up 2-3 containers I took it to recycle centers, usually parts store, quick lube ...
It's strange, out here, I've tried that with detergent/milk/antifreeze/brake fluid jugs, and the one time they actually turned me AWAY because they said the oil was not in an "approved container" or something.....Walmart said it had to be in an "oil container".....I can sort of understand the detergent bottle, because the laundry soap has that "lingering film" that technically "could" mess up their used oil collection tank, being mixed with detergent fragments......but a MILK jug? That's easily rinsable, provided it's not from spoiled milk or some such :p So anyways, I just took it to the city dump, and they recycled it no problem!

Originally Posted By: ChrisJH
Am I nuts because I bought one of those oil drain pans with the drain plugs on it?
Nope, not at all...though I have heard complaints of the "Blitz!" brand of oil storage containers "leaking" from that little threaded spout......I've heard the most complaints for the "smaller" drainage container, the one with the 5-9" diameter screw top lid, which has a convenient "screen" to catch the drain plug/washer should you lose hold of it
smile.gif
But the larger (I think it's 15 qt) with the angled "handle" that protrudes out and the plastic cap, I've heard those are a bit more sturdier, and less prone to leakage.....even has a neat little "oil filter indention" where you sit the filter, gasket-side down to drain out.

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
I just add it to my heating oil, but only 5% or less by volume.

Interesting usage. Can I ask why only 5%? Doesn't burn well?

Hello, I use an old USN (Navy) 8 gal. "square" water can. It's almost a cube. When full I go to the municiple used oil tank and pour it in. A pal upstate says I should spray it under my car for rust prevention. I just don't know about that one. Kira

I too use a Rubbermaid 5 gallon fuel jug for waste oil. The only problem is that it gets kind of heavy when it starts to get full.

Originally Posted By: EricJRoy
Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
I just add it to my heating oil, but only 5% or less by volume.

Interesting usage. Can I ask why only 5%? Doesn't burn well?

A little bit of paranoia about plugging up my filters. Heating oil builds up a real nasty foul smelling goo inside the tanks. If I dump too much detergent oil in there, I might plug up a line or filter quickly. I change them every fall. each time I get the tanks filled, I dump in 5 gallons or so.

I give all of mine to a friend who has a 98 Cummins, he filters it 3 or 4 times and then puts it in as fuel and takes me out for a crazy ride.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you fill up the 5 gallon jug with used oil, it is 20 quarts almost 2 cases, that why it is heavy.

33.gif
Thanks for clearing that up.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, I use an old USN (Navy) 8 gal. "square" water can. It's almost a cube. When full I go to the municiple used oil tank and pour it in. A pal upstate says I should spray it under my car for rust prevention. I just don't know about that one. Kira

yes, that will work great. see other rustproofing threads here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back