LTX MS2 or AT3 or DestAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for new tires for my 2003 Chevy Silverado 4wd long bed and trying to make up my mind on these fine assortment of tires lol.
I got these price quotes for the 245/75/16...price out the door includes mounting /balanced, old tire disposal, and Pa tax.etc
Mich LTX MS2....$860
Cooper at3....$597
Firestone AT....$629
At 52k miles I already went through 3 sets of tires , the last set being General HTS which sure didn't last at all....good riding tire but geeeesh.All previous tires wore good but just didn't last. Truck never taken off road , just hiway travel , no pulling of camper or boats .....no hauling at all other than a fly rod and groceries lol.
Just want a good tire that last and provide a good safe ride/good in snow/ ice/ rain and all these tires look like the ones I need.....but dollar for dollar what to go with????
Thank you for your thoughts.....
BOB in PA

Michelin LTX M/S2. Top-rated tire by Consumer Reports, top-rated tire in consumer reviews, almost zero negative comments on them. They're possibly one of the best tires on the market in doing what they were designed to do and doing it well.

I wouldn't recommend either of your other choices if you never take your truck off the paved road. They'll be louder and generally shorter-lasting than highway all-season tires.

Get the Michelins.

I love the Dest. AT's but I also off road every weekend. I'd go with the MS2's since you are mainly highway travel. In hindsight I wish I'd have gone with the MS2's for my wifes Tahoe, since it appears we probably will never take it off road.

You might also look at the Destination LE as a cheaper alternative to the MS2.

The Mich are a great tire, but cost is expensive. Take a look at the BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tours. BFG is made by Mich. They are a great tire and I have them on my rig. They will be priced below the Mich.

LTX M/S2. For the first time yesterday, I was able to drive with these tires in the rain on my Mark LT. Completely Impressed. I couldn't get the tires to break on a wet road.

Or Firestone Transforce H/T's. If you don't get them for less than $750 or so, keep shopping.

edited due to typo.

Last edited:
For your described use, the Michelins are the right choice. No need for a faster wearing (relatively), higher rolling resistance type tire in this applicatuion. As another poster noted, check out the BFG Long Trail Tours. A decent tire as well.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Michelin LTX M/S2. Top-rated tire by Consumer Reports, top-rated tire in consumer reviews, almost zero negative comments on them. They're possibly one of the best tires on the market in doing what they were designed to do and doing it well.

I wouldn't recommend either of your other choices if you never take your truck off the paved road. They'll be louder and generally shorter-lasting than highway all-season tires.

Get the Michelins.

The Cooper Discoverer A/T3 is the #1 pick by Consumer Reports. Michelin is #2.

The Michelin LTX A/T2 places 2nd to the Cooper Discoverer A/T3, but this is in the all-terrain market segment. In CR's all-season tire ratings, the Michelin LTX M/S2 is rated 1st.

As I said in my previous post, this grouping of three tires is a bit of a mixed bag in terms of mixing all-season and all-terrain tires. If N300's intent is to buy all-season tires, and it appears to be based on what he or she wants in a tire, the Cooper to compare is the Discoverer CTS and the Firestone to compare is the Destination LE. The Cooper scored 10th of 23 tires. The Firestone scored 18th of 23. The other tire brought up, the BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour, scored 15th.

Conversely, if he or she really is looking at all-terrain tires, then yes, the Cooper scored #1 and the Michelin LTX A/T2 scored #2. The Firestone Destination A/T scored 10th out of 13th.

And lastly, if the M/S2 is a top contender for N300, also check out the Michelin X Radial LT2. It performed virtually identically to the M/S2 (and took home the #2 spot in the all-season segment), but it's available at clubs like Sam's Club, Costco, Bee Jays, etc. So you can often get it at a bit of a discount. It's essentially the same tire.

On my 03 Z71 ECSB, I had the Destination ATs, load C. Quiet, very nice ride, and gripped very well in Iowa winters, everything but watery mud in a flooded cornfield... Lasted ~42k due to alignment issues. I liked them. Replaced them with Goodyear Duratracs, they were in the ballpark as the AT3 in my neck of the woods, and I like overkill.

I'd go with the AT3. Aggressive enough for winter muck, and save money for other stuff. Also a newer design than the others.

The MS2's sound great, but unsure of winter muck clearing ability especially at that price.

Divide your Out-the-Door Cost by the tires guaranteed mileage rating to determine the cost per mile.

Then buy the Michelins.

Just my Two Cents...

Shop online. I buy LTX MS2's for less than dealer cost and they ship them free with no sales tax!

Then tire kingdom gives a special deal to mount them! You can't beat it.

Note that in our experience the LTX may last up to 3 times longer than other radials. We have found them to be the cheapest per mile by far, and I buy 16-20 tires every year.

Don't know anything about their off road abilities.

Last edited:
I'd had Michelins in the past,and was never very impressed with them.

My wifes '07 Tahoe needed new tires last year. The guys at Discount Tire were pushing the LTX M/S2 pretty heavily.

I was VERY hesitant to buy them,but gave in when they said I could return them if I didn't like them.

They ended up being the best highway type tire I've ever ran. Quiet,smooth,excellent in the rain and surprisingly,were outstanding in the snow.

I'm not totally sold on Michelins in general,but that particular tire was mighty impressive.

I just put a set of LTX MS2's on my truck and have been happy with them. I haven't had any issues taking them off road on muddy job sites, with good tread they seem to bite pretty well.

So far they seem to be worth the extra money.

I drive off road on job sites several days a week and find the MS2's to be fine for my 2wd truck; they will get me anywhere a 2wd truck should go. They have a lot of bite for what they are even in mud which I was driving in today.

Unless your doing serious offroading I think a highway tire like them is your best bet.

Last edited:
Got the LTX MS2's. Thing is dealer was out of 245 75 16.........so I had to get the 255 70 16's.
Paid $733 out the door mounted/ balanced/ nitrogen filled( smile) 70k warranty/ free rotations & road side assistance( smile again) ...Pa 6% sales tax.....plus got $70 rebate come'n on top of that.
SOOOooo I hope I did the right thing huh?

Thank all you guy's input / help , was greatly appreciated indeed.
BOB

Originally Posted By: RichardSenn
I love the Dest. AT's but I also off road every weekend. I'd go with the MS2's since you are mainly highway travel. In hindsight I wish I'd have gone with the MS2's for my wifes Tahoe, since it appears we probably will never take it off road.

You might also look at the Destination LE as a cheaper alternative to the MS2.

Yup, no need for an AT for the OP's use and the Destination LE will do everything the M+S will for a LOT less.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
The Mich are a great tire, but cost is expensive. Take a look at the BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tours. BFG is made by Mich. They are a great tire and I have them on my rig. They will be priced below the Mich.

I put these tires on my long bed F150 SC last November. They ride great on the road. Traction in heavy rains and on wet roads is great. They also have real good traction in the snow. Plus they are quiet. I had Dueler Revo's previously and these are better performing all around tires for me. They were very reasonable at DT when I got them a year ago at this time of the year.

Whimsey

I hope Bob understands that none of the tires under consideration are any good on ice. That requires a real winter tire. There is no such thing as an all-season tire when ice is on the road.

I'd never get a different tire size for the shop's convenience. The shop can order the tires and I can wait to get the size I feel is best.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
I hope Bob understands that none of the tires under consideration are any good on ice. That requires a real winter tire. There is no such thing as an all-season tire when ice is on the road.

I'd never get a different tire size for the shop's convenience. The shop can order the tires and I can wait to get the size I feel is best.

The LTX's really aren't bad on ice. They aren't phenomenal, but definitely better than any other A/S tire I've tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back