'94 F-150 manual trans fluid --manual says Type F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Note, the specialized FM used in manual transmissions is NOT the same FM used in Limited Slip Differentials, nor is it the same FM used in Automatic Transmissions, nor is it the same FM used in engine oils. It is important to understand that there are different FM chemistries for different automotive applications!

Good to know

Originally Posted By: JDD
Originally Posted By: bobfather99
As for the rubber plugs, I just pulled them and glued them back on with some black RTV, leak free. You can also use replacement metal plugs if you still have a leak.

I used Mercon ATF in my Ranger and my F-150, they both worked great.

Bob--quick question: How did you get to the plugs---can it be done from the bottom or would I have to peel back the carpet and get to them from the top?

Both trucks I had had rubber floors. I just peeled back the rubber, pulled the boot up, and reached through the hole in the floor. I'm sure you can get to them from underneath, too.

If I had a manual transmission that called for ATF (of any type) I would use a syncromesh fluid of the same viscosity ... namely Honda MTF II (The one currently sold by most dealerships) or Royal Purple Syncromax. These have a viscosity of 7.5 cSt. Torco MTF is just a tick higher at 8.3 cSt.

The syncromesh fluids will be properly friction modified for synchro engagement and will have superior anti-wear compounds than ATFs.

I have a 2002 F150 4.6 with the MOD5 tranny. It shifted HORRIBLY with the factory Mercon, lots of crunching & grinding. Went with Schaeffers 204 ATF, better, but still occasionaly crunching & grinding. Finally went to RP SyncroMax and the shifting is so much better, no crunching and grinding.

Ironically I had a 1989 F150 with the same manual tranny and it shifted beautifully with Mercon.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: JDD
Originally Posted By: JRed
Is this the M5OD trans?

Yes, it has the M5OD transmission

Your owners manual is years out of date. ATF is not a good choice, and finally recognizing this Ford now makes a Manual Transmission fluid and that is the new Spec. Redline MTL, or Amsoil MTF are good choices..

When I changed the ATF to Redline MTL in my old Explorer, it was like pouring in a new transmission..

Last edited:
I would recommend a 50/50 mix of Redline Lightweight ATF with Redline MTL 70W80.

This mix will give you a 7.5 cSt viscosity with the added benefit of the special friction modifiers needed for smoother synchro assembly operation, and increased levels of anti-wear agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back