Coolant for 2008 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I'm going to do a coolant flush/exchange on my 08 Chevy. It has the 5.3 engine. What is the "best" coolant I can put in? Do I want to stay away from Dex-cool? Should I add any additives? Thanks!

I would stay with Dexcool. It doesn't cause any problems in these vehicles and works good. You truck is pretty young to need a coolant change. Do you have a lot of miles? Dexcool can easily go 5/150k miles in these vehicles. But since it is hard to get a complete flush 3 years would be bad time to do a radiator drian and refill.

It has about 55K on it. Is there a specific brand to go with that's Dex-cool compatible? Or should I just go to the dealer and get the coolant? And yes, I'll probably just to a radiator drain and refill. Why would 3 years be a bad time to do a drain & refill? Thanks.

Last edited:
I just had my coolant flushed in my 2006 Silvy...and it only has 28k on it. FF is good for 5 years, so you should still be good to go for another 2 years. I used Dex-Cool Prestone. Check underneath...you may or may not have a drain petcock.

Originally Posted By: Bamboooo
It has about 55K on it. Is there a specific brand to go with that's Dex-cool compatible? Or should I just go to the dealer and get the coolant? And yes, I'll probably just to a radiator drain and refill. Why would 3 years be a bad time to do a drain & refill? Thanks.

Any Dexcool will work decent as they all meet the specs but the formula slightly differs among brands. I prefer Havoline (was factory fill), then Zerex and last Prestone. But Prestone works OK if you can't get the other brands. I wouldn't bother going to the dealer to get it as it is not necessarily the same brand as factory fill and can be supplied by Prestone. Three years wouldn't be a bad time to do a radiator drain and refill. I was saying Dexcool can go 5 year/150k miles if one was going to do a complete flush with opening the block drains.

We no longer service cooling systems until something fails. For us that is usually at least 100k miles but more likely 150-200.

This advice was gleaned from an actual GM developmental engineer who works closely with our aftermarket upfitter.

Despite all the ballyhoo about dexcool, in almost anything that currently uses it, it will outlast the components protected by it. This assumes the system is properly sealed and maintained.

+1 Here's a paragraph from Havoline's Data sheet.....The life of a coolant in an automobile engine is limited by the corrosion protection ability of the
corrosion inhibitors. The main corrosion inhibitors in Havoline DEX-COOL® Extended Life
Anti-Freeze/Coolant has been shown to remain above 95% of their original concentration after
150,000 miles in automobiles. This allows much longer intervals between coolant changes without
worrying about loss of corrosion protection. Used Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant
DEX-COOL® was tested in laboratory controlled corrosion tests for new coolants after it had
already been in service for more than 200,000 miles. The used Havoline Extended Life Anti-
Freeze/ Coolant DEX-COOL® passed the ASTM D 1384 requirements for glassware corrosion
with results equivalent to new coolants and also passed the ASTM D 4340 Aluminum Hot Surface
Test for new coolant. Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant DEX-COOL® represents
the next generation of universal engine coolants. This coolant is suitable for a five year or 150,000
mile service life in automotive applications

Originally Posted By: Dan55
+1 Here's a paragraph from Havoline's Data sheet.....The life of a coolant in an automobile engine is limited by the corrosion protection ability of the
corrosion inhibitors. The main corrosion inhibitors in Havoline DEX-COOL® Extended Life
Anti-Freeze/Coolant has been shown to remain above 95% of their original concentration after
150,000 miles in automobiles. This allows much longer intervals between coolant changes without
worrying about loss of corrosion protection. Used Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant
DEX-COOL® was tested in laboratory controlled corrosion tests for new coolants after it had
already been in service for more than 200,000 miles. The used Havoline Extended Life Anti-
Freeze/ Coolant DEX-COOL® passed the ASTM D 1384 requirements for glassware corrosion
with results equivalent to new coolants and also passed the ASTM D 4340 Aluminum Hot Surface
Test for new coolant. Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant DEX-COOL® represents
the next generation of universal engine coolants. This coolant is suitable for a five year or 150,000
mile service life in automotive applications

But who is to say that Zerex G-05 and/or Zerex Asian would not also pass these same tests in the same manner?

My 2004 Silverado has had one complete coolant flush since new and it has 216,000kms on it and the pressurised coolant reservour is spotless inside. Dex-Cool did its job very well in this application. Id keep using Dex-Cool as it works as intended as long as you keep up proper maintenance.

I think DexCool if properly maintained will work just fine in your truck just keep up the changes and make sure your cooling system level is maintained and radiator cap is pressure tested. Air pockets are the nemisis of Dexcool.

Dex works great - I tend to drain and fill the radiator every 60K just to keep things fresher, never an issue with it, and I use the prestone kind.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
There is a class action lawsuit against GM because Dex-cool eats gaskets. Stick to the green coolants. Look it up.
This does not apply to this model year of truck, as the LS engines have dry intake manifolds.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
There is a class action lawsuit against GM because Dex-cool eats gaskets. Stick to the green coolants. Look it up.
This does not apply to this model year of truck, as the LS engines have dry intake manifolds.

Very true. IMO, nothing better than new Dex for a 99+ GM v8. I tried G05 in my 03 5.3 Silverado for several months when I switched over to it on our 3.4 grand ams. It didn't hurt anything, ran fine, but didn't have the nearly same amount of heat rolling off of the radiator as Dex does when you park it- by my observation. So Dex went back in. Also, I believe that GM coats some coolant passages with Dex type chemicals to help heat transfer.

I JUST picked up an 08 Sierra with original coolant in it, time for a drain n fill already, 5yrs is getting close! And a new battery since I'm an ounce of prevention guy...

This is why the internet is both good and bad.

Sheesh.

My personal take on Dexcool in Silverados is stick with it. I prefer Zerex.

As for miles, I don't think it's the bigger concern when compared to time. I cringe when I hear people say leave it 150k miles but never list how long of a timeframe.

I'd keep with the manufacturer recommendation of 5 year /150k miles. The time matters or they wouldn't list it.

I had less than 55k when I hit the 5.5 year mark and change the FF on my truck. It looked good, so I did 2 drain/refills, which is relatively easy by pulling the lower hose.

For the OP, a 2008 probably doesn't need changing unless your miles are quite high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back