Oil Recommendation: '03 Ram HEMI, 148k Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the basics on the vehicle:
•2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7L Hemi, mileage is right at 148k
•Owner's manual recommends 5W20, and that is what other owners have the best luck with (per Hemi Ram specific boards).
•I live in Northwest Georgia - varied terrain. High temps in summer into 100° and lows in the winter into the teens occasionally. Truck sleeps in the garage which doesn't get below 50°
•Driving conditions are going to be about 10 miles a day, 5 days a week (my daily commuter, and I work close to home). There will be times of interstate travel, etc., but not regularly.

The previous owner bought the truck with about 130k on it, and he ran Royal Purple in it for the 18k miles he owned it. The owner before him (original) ran Mobil 1. So it has been on synthetic it's whole life.

I am very much a synthetic kind of guy, and I would like to continue with that, but wanted to check with you guys first.

I wouldn't mind doing a yearly OCI, as my driving isn't likely to put over 4,000 a year on the vehicle, if that (previous vehicle only saw 2300 in a year).

If I go with what I am thinking, I will be using Pennzoil Ultra 5W20. I just wanted to make sure this didn't sound like a bad idea. I know there are several blends especially for higher mileage vehicles, and didn't know if one of those would be better.

Thanks for your help guys.

DLB

My 04 Hemi does not require 0w20 wt according to the manual. It is my understanding that only Hemis with cylinder deactivation (later models than yours)are to run the thinner oil. I run 5w30 or 10w30 syn since new. You may want to check your manual.

Originally Posted By: hal2626
My 04 Hemi does not require 0w20 wt according to the manual. It is my understanding that only Hemis with cylinder deactivation (later models than yours)are to run the thinner oil. I run 5w30 or 10w30 syn since new. You may want to check your manual.
My apologies, it is indeed 5W30 in the manual, not 5W20 as I originally posted (it is too late to edit my OP).

DLB

Hey DLB:
PYB would do you well in the 5w-20. I just put this in my minivan with 140k and it runs smooth as silk. You can change it every spring and fall and it will cost you less than one oil change with the Ultra. 5qt of PYB at wally $14.00 and a Mann oil filter 2.50. 16.50.or 33 bucks a year not too bad.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Your daily drives 5 miles each way is severe, especially during winter months, I would use conventional and do 6 month OCI.

+1

You don't have to change the oil filter just the oil. Change the oil filter once a year.

Thanks guys. Going to pick up the oil/filter after work.
I will just stick with a 6 month OCI since that's the popular answer.

DLB

As you discovered already it is 5W-30 not 5W-20. Actually, in 03 and 04 10W-30 was also allowed for in warmer climates. Due to the mileage I would recommend you run Valvoline MaxLife. 5W-30 or 10W-30.

For 4,000 mile annual changes you dont even really need synthetic. That said I would simply run whatever name brand synthetic is easily available to you at a reasonable price. In my case that would likely be Pennzoil Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability. Those are usually the cheapest at Walmart. On the other hand even the Supertech would be easily up to your needs.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
For 4,000 mile annual changes you dont even really need synthetic. That said I would simply run whatever name brand synthetic is easily available to you at a reasonable price. In my case that would likely be Pennzoil Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability. Those are usually the cheapest at Walmart. On the other hand even the Supertech would be easily up to your needs.
The Pennzoil Platinum is readily available for me as well, and it is often on sale at O'Reilly (where I buy my Wix filters). Aside from that, my wife's car runs PP 5W30, so I can just have one kind of oil in the garage for everything that gets a regular change. In fact, her car was due its change right now as well, so I just picked up all the oil I needed yesterday and changed them both this morning.

I know I could save a little bit of money and run a cheaper oil since I am putting very little mileage on it and planning on 6 mo OCI, but the peace of mind is worth $20 extra bucks a year to me. I just prefer synthetic oil I suppose.

Thanks guys for the help.

DLB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back