Super T10 transmission gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I need to change the gear oil in my 79 Trans am. It has the Borg Warner Super T10 4 speed transmission. Should I use Redline 75W90 NS synthetic oil GL5 oil? Is synthetic oil okay to use in the older super t10 transmission? ThankS!

Don`t most Borg Warner`s call for a 75W90 GL4? I wouldn`t go GL5. I`ve read where the older Borg Warner`s used atf,then changed their fluid recommendations to GL4 gear oils.

Last edited:
I`d say Redline MT90 or Amsoil MTG. The Amsoil says "Ideal for Borg Warner muscle car transmissions" right on the bottle.

In the Redline catalog, MT90 would be your best choice for a T10.

75W90NS is really intended for transmissions that require a GL5 lube because they share the fluid with a hypoid gearset, like a Subaru.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
GL6? I`ve never heard of that. Is this something new????

NO, it is an older, abandoned gear oil rating (as un stated above), although the Torco RGO (and SGO) that I use still carries that rating on the bottle (as well as GL5).

Originally Posted By: yuri2002
Hi, I need to change the gear oil in my 79 Trans am. It has the Borg Warner Super T10 4 speed transmission. Should I use Redline 75W90 NS synthetic oil GL5 oil? Is synthetic oil okay to use in the older super t10 transmission? ThankS!
Back in the early 90s I had a 77 Z28 with the same trans and I ran Mobil 1 75w90 gear lube in it. Never had any issues with it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Don`t most Borg Warner`s call for a 75W90 GL4? I wouldn`t go GL5. I`ve read where the older Borg Warner`s used atf,then changed their fluid recommendations to GL4 gear oils.
The T-10 was used for a very long time and if I remember right, gear lube was the only lube spec'd for it. You're probably thinking of the "newer" T-5?

Originally Posted By: yuri2002

I would use either Redline MTL or MTL90. Synthetic is fine in your T10. For the record I use MTL in my Muncie M21, it sees track and street duty, going on 14 years now with MTL. Do not use a GL5, it will shift poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back