Used /Waste Oil 5-gallon Jug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought one of these to store my used oils unitl its full and then I go to the parts store and drain it.
Its very durable, 5gal capacity, has a 2.5" opening and a screw on cap, and its translucent so you can see the level.

I bought it from McMaster-Carr's website www.Mcmaster.com
Part number is 4135T62
Price is $15.37

Originally Posted By: wsar10
you could get a 5gal bucket with a lid for $ 2.00 !
And as you empty it you spill it everywhere?

Originally Posted By: Donald
I get the large jug style containers of cat litter and use those when empty. I usually do not take the container back, so its a one use for me.

I was about to post the exact same thing. This works great--well, if you have a cat...

I have curbside recycling, so I just fill it up and put it at the curb. I don't know the exact capacity, but it holds 2 oil changes and some extra.

I use 2.5 gallon liquid detergent containers to store used oils. When I filled up 2-3 containers I took it to recycle centers, usually parts store, quick lube ...

The container is very sturdy/durable and it's free.

I utilize used plumbing anti-freeze, windshield washer, oil, ATF, coolant, or water jugs to transport my used oil. I write "USED OIL" on the outside and drop it off at the oil depot.

I would never pay 1c for a container to put used oil into.

I like to use empty "Arizona Iced Tea" clear gallon jugs to store the used oil until I drop off at Walmart or Advance Auto. Nice wide mouth for the funnel and easy draining.

Am I nuts because I bought one of those oil drain pans with the drain plugs on it?

I think it holds 12 or 15 qts (must be 15 based on how much oil I change at once) and luckily fits under all my vehicles. Change all 3 vehicles worth of oil right into the pan, screw on the drain plug, bring to AutoZone and drain out.

I actually use a plastic 5 gallon gas can for my used oil.
After I drain it from the various cars, I then pour it into the big red jug.

No mess or fuss when carrying it into the auto parts store for dumping.

BC.

My car spec says 4.3 qt but I usually pour in the whole 5 qt jug from Wally. Drain the oil in the drain pan, screw in the bolt then replaced the filter (pre-filled with new oil). Once the crawling under the cars biz is done, pour in the new oil and left with empty jug. Used the empty jug for the used oil and marked it "used" with marker. Cost me nothing.

I use my old 5 gallon Royal Purple 5W-30 container that I bought on line for $116.00 dollars a while back. You should see the looks I get when walking into the parts store with it. LOL

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Cat litter jugs are the best. I dream of a 5 gallon water jug, though.

The last kitty litter jug I used leaked, had a big mess to clean up so went back to using the 2.5gal Purple Power jugs...

Originally Posted By: Billbert
Originally Posted By: wsar10
you could get a 5gal bucket with a lid for $ 2.00 !
And as you empty it you spill it everywhere?

He he. Quite right. The one the OP posted is very easy to pour with in a very clean fashion.

I just put the used oil back into the 5 quart jug the new just came out of. I then take that the the recycling center. That way, no used oil sits around the house.

I usually put it back in what it came in or some other sort of heavy plastic bottle. Then when the fall rolls around it ends up in a paint gun and ultimately, under the vehicle.

you mean you don't just drain it in a walmart parking lot at night?

hahaha jk, i just put it back into the old jugs the oil originated from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back