Having trouble getting the oil drain plug off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changing my g/f's RAV4 oil and the sucker won't budge. We've tried holding the wrench and pounding it with the hammer a few times, no avail. All we are getting done is rounding off the edges of the bolt, so we stopped immediately.

Any tips to sweet talk this bolt loose? It was changed by a mechanic shop last time and was more than likely torqued too tight.

Bring it back to them and make them loosen it. And buy a new plug and gasket to put in after you drain it. After that ordeal the one it has is trash.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Bring it back to them and make them loosen it. And buy a new plug and gasket to put in after you drain it. After that ordeal the one it has is trash.

01.gif

But if they won't do anything for you, a breaker bar and Super Sockets (from Sears) have worked for me, in the past. Super Sockets drive on the flats of the bolt and can remove even rounded bolts.

6 pt socket. I have been there, broken an impact socket once. The places tighten the drain plug for who knows what reason. Maybe no washer or old non re-useable washer. Install a magnetic drain plug and an "oil-tite" washer.

Vice grips and a dead blow hammer work the best for me. I would buy a new drain plug, however, and get one with a rubber gasket. This will help avoid over tightening in the future.

I think I will try and take it back to the shop and have them loosen it for me and then make it snug with a wrench. I feel there's no reason for a shop to tighten the plug that tight.

This is the second vehicle that I've ever changed oil on, (once with help from a friend on my first vehicle, and now my g/fs) and both of them have had these overtightened plugs, and I feel like I can't change oil or I'm doing something completely wrong!

I keep telling myself to keep trying though, as I know once that plug is removed it's all cake from there.

and I will buy a new gasket and plug too. I just gotta make sure I get the right one.

thanks guys

Last edited:
A 6 point flank drive socket is what I would use.
If it is already really chewed up, one of those special sockets from Sears/Craftsman should work.
Of course, going back to the shop is a good idea.

Last edited:
On the real stubborn ones I have had luck sucking the oil out via the dipstick and using a torch to heat up the pan. The pan's threads will expand loosening the plug.

Also pick up a new drain plug from the dealer, if you get it out don't put the old messed up one back in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
On the real stubborn ones I have had luck sucking the oil out via the dipstick and using a torch to heat up the pan. The pan's threads will expand loosening the plug.

Also pick up a new drain plug from the dealer, if you get it out don't put the old messed up one back in.

If this is the second vehicle he has changed the oil on, doubtful he has a torch. But good idea. Its common with marine engines to pump the oil out through the dipstick.

OK, I'll just say it: righty tighty, lefty loosey. When you're under a vehicle, the correct direction for removing a fastener seems backwards if it faces away from you.

If you're tried hanging on the plug with a breaker bar or a cheater pipe and it won't budge, the only thing I can think of is you're tightening it, because any more torque beyond that would strip the oil pan in no time flat.

I've dealt with some seriously overtightned drain plugs and a few smacks with a hammer on the ratchet will break them loose easily.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
OK, I'll just say it: righty tighty, lefty loosey. When you're under a vehicle, the correct direction for removing a fastener seems backwards if it faces away from you.

If you're tried hanging on the plug with a breaker bar or a cheater pipe and it won't budge, the only thing I can think of is you're tightening it, because any more torque beyond that would strip the oil pan in no time flat.

Thinking the same thing

Sometimes, the plug head won't survive. I had to use a Craftsman socket nut/bolt remover once. It chewed down a 12mm bolt to about a 6mm before it budged.

I had already tried many of the suggestions given before I went to that as last resort.

I always use a rubber hammer, though, when hitting wrenches. I get better results that way.

I had the same problem. Go get a new crush washer for the bolt, solves it. Toyota dealer gave a couple to me for free. Tighten till you feel it start to compress. Lube shops max the torque and crush the washer, when that happens the bolt goes in too far to the end of the threads which gets it stuck. that's bad. Lean on it hard a few bangs on the wrench with a hammer it will come off.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Hey what about one of those Fumoto Quick Drain valves? Anyone have experience with those?

Many years ago jiffy lube was putting something similar on for their new pressure purge oil drain system. Was a disaster for them. Mine started leaking with no way to stop it other than replace the bolt.

Originally Posted By: OilNerd
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

01.gif

But if they won't do anything for you, a breaker bar and Super Sockets (from Sears) have worked for me, in the past. Super Sockets drive on the flats of the bolt and can remove even rounded bolts.

This. Those have saved my butt a good number of times. Great product. The more you turn the wrench, the harder they grab.

Originally Posted By: teambeechstreet
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Thinking the same thing

+2
I was a plumber for 10 yrs and still can get my L-R's mixed up when I'm upside down.

Ive never had one the proper sized socket and a 2' breaker bar couldnt take off, Back in my rookie days of turning wrenches nobody ever told me it had to be the correct socket.. i just found something that grabbed on and used it (never mind if it had play or not) after destroying some bolt heads and spending some money to correct my mistakes.. i learned

Ive also noticed the longer a drain bolt is in place the tighter it is.. a couple of 1 year OCI'S gave me a bit of a challenge.. but i won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back