Blackstone UOA vs Amsoil UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the reason why people continue to choose Blackstone for oil analysis over Amsoil?

During my recent order of UOA kits, the price of an analysis by Amsoil's lab is about 1/2 of what it costs to have one done by Blackstone.

The accuracy of both are probably questionable, so why spend the extra money?

Why don't you send a sample of the same oil to both companies? See if they're similar or not. Might not be worth it, but just an idea.

Blackstone is well known oil analysis company that's why people like to use them. Just like Mobil 1 is a well known synthetic oil and people are willing to pay a little more for a known brand.

I've been reading between the lines on the whole UOA deal....sounds to me that a lot of mailed in samples get "out sourced" to other companies or labs/locations to do the UOA....

Last I checked, Amsoil went through Oil Analyzers, Inc? What do they cost, and where to order the kits?

The thing that appeals to me about B-S is their little notes/commentary they give for each sample.....actual "people" replying/reading the sample, where as some labs I've heard are done completely automated by computer(s)....

BTW, I believe the "one sample to multiple labs project" has been done already....? Or perhaps it was simply a "pipe dream"...? But I coulda sworn someone's already done it, and both results were within a decent "margin of error"......

The notes made by Blackstone are hardly useful, as the technicians writing them do not specialize in your particular engine family.

Also, Oil Analyzers (lab used by Amsoil) is an ISO 17025 A2LA accredited lab. As far as I know, Blackstone is not an accredited lab! Please correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.oaitesting.com/g2047.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ahoier
The thing that appeals to me about B-S is their little notes/commentary they give for each sample.....actual "people" replying/reading the sample, where as some labs I've heard are done completely automated by computer(s)....

To be honest, Blackstone's notes are so useless most of the time, I think a computer would have done a better job.

That is one reason why I stopped using them. Not to mention I get more info from Wearcheck for less money.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
.............. the price of an analysis by Amsoil's lab is about 1/2 of what it costs to have one done by Blackstone.......

BStone charges $25. Amsoil's lab only charges $12.50?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: The Critic
.............. the price of an analysis by Amsoil's lab is about 1/2 of what it costs to have one done by Blackstone.......

BStone charges $25. Amsoil's lab only charges $12.50?

Blackstone charges $25. TBN is an extra $10. Amsoil's lab charges about $18 with TBN.

For those of us who are not Amsoil "preferred customers", the cheapest UOA kit from OAI is $22.45. But there is the additional S&H charge (and sales tax?) to have the kit mailed to us, and then shipping charges to mail it to the lab.

What is Amsoil charging to ship a kit to a non-preferred customer?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Blackstone is well known oil analysis company that's why people like to use them. Just like Mobil 1 is a well known synthetic oil and people are willing to pay a little more for a known brand.

Besides, Blackstone and Mobil 1 are BITOG sponsors. They have to be better than the rest.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Amsoil lab might be interested in making up good UOAs for Amsoil oil and worse for other brands.

That would be pretty lame. In fact, it's a terrible accusation. Think about what you just typed. And guess what? It doesn't happen. Trust me, you aren't the first person to say this. But it's just as whacked now as it was 5 years ago, and 10 years ago.

Amsoil doesn't test the oils. Polaris does. They are an accredited lab. They simply don't just make up numbers. When you think it through, it's hilarious.

Oh, the good deal is the $24.99 full postage paid both ways.

Pablo, there is possibility, and a lot of people wonder the same as you mentioned.
I didn't state it, that's why I used word "might".

Amsoil lab might be interested in making up good UOAs for Amsoil oil and worse for other brands.

If you're accusing Amsoil's lab (Polaris) of doing these types of things, you should have evidences such as sent samples taken from the same fluids, one is Amsoil and one is another brand, to Polaris and B-S. Then if UOA's came back with Polaris reports Amsoil better than B-S and other brand worse, then you may say that.

Until then it is not right to accuse Polaris of any wrong doing.

HTSS_TR, look one post above yours. It was one of the guess why people use more blackstone lab than Amsoil/Polaris lab. For example, I had no clue, that Amsoil uses Polaris, and that why I would choose blackstone.
Again, nothing against Amsoil
smile.gif
I like their products, even have their sticker on my bumper
smile.gif
01.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo

That would be pretty lame. In fact, it's a terrible accusation. Think about what you just typed. And guess what? It doesn't happen. Trust me, you aren't the first person to say this. But it's just as whacked now as it was 5 years ago, and 10 years ago.

Amsoil doesn't test the oils. Polaris does. They are an accredited lab. They simply don't just make up numbers. When you think it through, it's hilarious.

where do you go on amsoil's site to get this?

Originally Posted By: Pablo

I'll have to look into that next time. I thought the non-postage paid was a better deal since I could ship it to OAI myself for less than $6.

Since when did Amsoil switch to Polaris labs? I thought they were with OAI which was Stanley Services?

Ive started to use the texaco service and Napa. I used wearcheck which was also reasonable.

For any decent analytical technique, 6% RSD is doing good.

I agree with others that the Blackstone comments are pretty useless. Kind of like your buddy telling you what you want to hear. I go with OAI since the TBN is included. Unsure why anyone would want a UOA without the TBN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back