I installed Windows 7 today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
It has 4 GB, which is the maximum according to the Dell product information. But some with my same hardware report that 8 GB does work.

Unless you are doing a lot of multitasking, 4gb is the sweet spot for Win7 64-bit. For general use, you probably wouldn't notice it if it had more.

That said, DDR3 memory is ridiculously cheap nowadays so maxing out a system just to future-proof it a bit is probably worth it.

And with THAT said, your system probably uses DDR2 which isn't so cheap, hence my 4gb recommendation.

Yes, my system uses DDR2.

I defragged the disk last night. And performance is a ton better, just from that. Windows 7's defragger reported it at 20% fragmented during the analysis, and it took about 2 hours to complete the task. But it seems to load a bit faster now, and performance is much better once loaded.

Office applications open with a snap of the finger, even for the first time since being installed. What's most impressive to me (and don't ask me the reason, I don't really know) is the list of applications in the "Uninstall a program" control panel is loaded almost instantaneously. With XP, the HDD would churn for 3-4 seconds while that list loaded. On the Dell netbook with the Intel Atom, it takes fully 10-12 seconds for that list to load.

What's interesting is Microsoft Security Essentials takes only 4.2 MB of system memory under Windows 7, at least according to the Task Manager. Under XP, it would take 50-60 MB looking at the same Task Manager. I wonder if the difference is the 64-bit vs. 32-bit. The reason I wonder that is I understand that some of the security features can be handled by the hardware when using a 64-bit OS?

Originally Posted By: jigen
I am 95% sure that only Windows 7 Ultimate will allow anything over 3.25GB of RAM. Any other version will let you put more than that but it will only read 3.25GB.

All Windows 7 editions work with only 4 GB of RAM with the 32-bit versions. But with the 64-bit versions, Home Basic allows 8 GB, Home Premium allows 16 GB, and Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate all allow 192 GB.

I don't know why the difference between the various 64-bit versions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: jigen
I am 95% sure that only Windows 7 Ultimate will allow anything over 3.25GB of RAM. Any other version will let you put more than that but it will only read 3.25GB.

All Windows 7 editions work with only 4 GB of RAM with the 32-bit versions. But with the 64-bit versions, Home Basic allows 8 GB, Home Premium allows 16 GB, and Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate all allow 192 GB.

I don't know why the difference between the various 64-bit versions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

Ultimate has nothing to do with supporting more memory, all 64 bit versions of W7 can support over 4gb of memory.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Ultimate has nothing to do with supporting more memory, all 64 bit versions of W7 can support over 4gb of memory.

But W7 Basic 64bit will only support up to 8GB while Ultimate will support up to 192GB.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

But W7 Basic 64bit will only support up to 8GB while Ultimate will support up to 192GB.

That's just Microsoft hamstringing the lower versions of Windows 7 64-bit for marketing reasons. The RAM limits in place on Windows 7 64-bit Home Basic and Home Premium are a built-in artificial limitation.

A 32-bit operating system like Windows XP has limits to how much memory it can address. It's a math issue, not a Windows design issue. A 64-bit OS, Windows or otherwise, can address and use a whole lot more system RAM than 4 gigs.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

That's just Microsoft hamstringing the lower versions of Windows 7 64-bit for marketing reasons. The RAM limits in place on Windows 7 64-bit Home Basic and Home Premium are a built-in artificial limitation.

A 32-bit operating system like Windows XP has limits to how much memory it can address. It's a math issue, not a Windows design issue. A 64-bit OS, Windows or otherwise, can address and use a whole lot more system RAM than 4 gigs.

Home Premium 64-bit supports more than 4GB of RAM.

The limitation is on starter, which doesn't have a 64-bit version available.

Any sort of memory limitation of the 64-bit versions is purely software-related and likely can be worked around with a hack.... Like the lack of software RAID support in XP
wink.gif

I perfectly understand that. I was responding to the claim that "Ultimate has nothing to do with supporting more memory." It does.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Any sort of memory limitation of the 64-bit versions is purely software-related and likely can be worked around with a hack.... Like the lack of software RAID support in XP
wink.gif

I didn't say that it didn't.

Microsoft has put a 16GB cap on Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, just like the 8GB cap on Windows 7 64-bit Home Basic. It's artificial, but it exists, and like you said can probably be defeated.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

wink.gif

I didn't say that it didn't.

Microsoft has put a 16GB cap on Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, just like the 8GB cap on Windows 7 64-bit Home Basic. It's artificial, but it exists, and like you said can probably be defeated.

Quite right. So we are in agreement then
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I just did the switch and the only hiccup is getting iTunes to work. I cant repair the install, can't uninstall and can't reinstall.

This month I've had to hand-peck installations off two Win7 computers, one, a brand new install, the other, my wife's PC. Both iTunes 10.4.x.

I have the full instructions on my friend's computer that I documented for him, I'll ask him to email it to me so I can post it here, 2 registry settings, then a manual de-install of iTunes did the trick.

Fixed the iTunes thing by switching over to a SSD and doing a fresh install. All my music and movies are on 2 1.5TB Seagate drives. Windows was on a WD Raptor X drive with another RAptor X for data, but now Windows is on an SSD and everything is peachy.

I used to format and restore every month due to be an avid PC gamer. Once I installed Windows 7 Pro 64 on my laptop i haven't formatted it since(talking 1+ year). Its been a great OS, still runs great.

Vostro 1500, upgraded it a few months after(had Vista on it).
2.4GHZ Penryn Core 2 Duo
4GB - DDR2(forgot the speed, been to long).
320GB 7200 drive
Nvidia 8600M GT 512

Thing has been a real trooper. Bought it used off ebay back in early 2008. Model was only 3 months old, originally sold for $1100 for its original configuration, picked it up for $600, still had 9 months of Dell Warranty(never used). did the above upgrades and still a beast.

Windows 7 is by far the best OS i've run, more so than XP(and I love XP).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back