They Call it "Lucas" Oil Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
I have been pleased with lucas oil stabilizer for a long time. More than 50,000 miles with adding the stuff. I think it helps........ A LOT.

230,000miles. I started driving my jeep since I was 16 when it had around 90,000miles.

Why do you think it needed Lucas to make it that far? My old 302HO has similar mileage and has never seen Lucas in its life. It's also seen 7,000RPM a few times and makes 100HP more than stock.

+1

If you want your oil to perform better, buy better oil. Don't use additives.

@plotthound: the extra thickened oil took a while for the oil pump to get it flowing, and once it did it had to heat up enough to thin out to get thru the oil filter.

Just stay away from the stuff in the future.

to me it pours more like 140W

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have been pleased with lucas oil stabilizer for a long time. More than 50,000 miles with adding the stuff. I think it helps........ A LOT.

230,000miles. I started driving my jeep since I was 16 when it had around 90,000miles.

Why do you think it needed Lucas to make it that far? My old 302HO has similar mileage and has never seen Lucas in its life. It's also seen 7,000RPM a few times and makes 100HP more than stock.

+1

wow. So what I have heard of better oil is Rotella T5 &T6. And the mobil 1 oils. I favored the Valvoline maxlife oil with the lucas for most of the mileage of my cherokee. I had the rear main done spring of last year and everything looked good.

I give LUCAS credit. That's all. I think my compression was a lot better with the lucas added. This go around I switched to the Rotella T5 and no lucas. Just to see any difference. Then if I see a difference I will stick with the HD oil instead of the HM oil.

What's sad these days we shouldn't worry about the oil in our engines (tho we actually do care) but SINCE we got da*n ethanol taking out our MPGs we can't blame our engine's performance on what oil we use. We can just blame the GOV'T!
my 2cent rant.

I'd give your engine credit that it got that far despite the Lucas, not because of it
wink.gif

I am not saying it was the lucas. I think it was mainly just keeping the oil changed every 3,000 miles. I have been using Valvoline maxlife for a longggg time which I think helps a lot.

I am not saying it was the lucas. I think it was mainly just keeping the oil changed every 3,000 miles. I have been using Valvoline maxlife for a longggg time which I think helps a lot.

Exactly. You used good oil and changed it often. That's far more important than any additive.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
As far as I know, it's a completely useless product that has actually been sold to a person or 2 somehow.

I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.

Was going to say your count was a bit off, have you visited some of the Jeep forums?

Hehehe

I used that garbage once when I was in high school (I'll admit the wheel display got me) and it made my 4.0 clatter pretty loud upon first cold starts. Had to drain, that was a wasted OC.

Exactly. You used good oil and changed it often. That's far more important than any additive.

wow. I never really thought about it that way. I'll just see how the T5 does til the next oil change. Then I will decide whether to stay with the T5 or go back to the valvoline maxlife oil.

Is there any analysis of the synthetic oil stabilizer? I just like to see numbers. I do an analysis every oil change, and Blackstone never said I shouldn't run it.. I've ran the Lucas since I got the truck 30k miles ago which I thought was for piece of mind...

Originally Posted By: dixon700
Is there any analysis of the synthetic oil stabilizer? I just like to see numbers. I do an analysis every oil change, and Blackstone never said I shouldn't run it.. I've ran the Lucas since I got the truck 30k miles ago which I thought was for piece of mind...

Can you post your UOA results with it in the oil?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Shhhhhh....., they'll hear you.

I would stay away from Lucas; I believe that there are few good additives on the market, but the viscosity of Lucas is just too thick -- and that can be done with just a higher viscosity oil. Unless it's a car that's going into the demolition derby or an engine that's on its last leg, I would opine that Lucas makes an engine wear out faster by using the product.

Originally Posted By: dixon700

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2866328&page=1

Here are the numbers from that thread.

Here is the skinny on LOS
Unless listed all are 'Zero'
Lucas Virgin
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2
Rotella T / LOS 5 to 1 blend
TBN - 8.5
Visc - 115.4
FP - 420
Boron - 17
Silicon - 2
Calcium - 1442
Magnesium - 7
Phosphorus - 604
Zinc - 817

Look how much it diluted the zince level of rotella!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald

+1

wow. So what I have heard of better oil is Rotella T5 &T6. And the mobil 1 oils. I favored the Valvoline maxlife oil with the lucas for most of the mileage of my cherokee. I had the rear main done spring of last year and everything looked good.

I give LUCAS credit. That's all. I think my compression was a lot better with the lucas added. This go around I switched to the Rotella T5 and no lucas. Just to see any difference. Then if I see a difference I will stick with the HD oil instead of the HM oil.

What's sad these days we shouldn't worry about the oil in our engines (tho we actually do care) but SINCE we got da*n ethanol taking out our MPGs we can't blame our engine's performance on what oil we use. We can just blame the GOV'T!
my 2cent rant.

Your adding Lucas junk to your oil then spout off about ethanol costing you mileage.
That should be a sticky posted somewhere for all to see.

Now those oil analysis for Lucas was that the synthetic Lucas? I'll see if I can find some of my older analysis. The mist recent I changed a lot of engine parts and gave me some off the wall numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back