Ford Escape Vs. Jeep Liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.
VUE!
Pick one up with a well-maintained Honda trans & you've got a great, reliable 3.5L v6 that does well on gas on the freeway and can really get moving. Plus they depreciate more than an Escape, so you can get newer and/or less miles for the same price usually. Avoid AWD for simplicity and reliability.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

My daughter drives an escape that her company furnishes and despite being a stripper model it seems pretty nice on the road.
That required some careful reading. i will never use the words "my daughter" and "stripper" in the same sentence.

Escape, but watch out for the CD4E. When mated to the V6, it's weak. If maintained properly, it will last...but who does that?

i have a 06 liberty and have only replaced 1 power steering hose under warranty.

also have friends with an early escape and they haven't had any problems other than an iac valve.

Test drive both.....I dont know what year liberty I drove but the ride was terrible. My parents wrangler rode better. Also again I do not know which years are affected but the power windows on some libertys are prone to a lot of failures.

I vote for the Escape..I have 2 friends that have one [02] and both have over 120K miles on them with no issues..They both have the V6..Down here I see tons of Escapes everyday.

The county bought a bunch of [2.5] Escapes back in 2009 and all are doing well.

They are very different vehicles.

The Escape is built on the Mazda GF platform. It's a boxy AWD Mazda 626 station wagon with increased ride height.

The Liberty is the evolution of the Jeep Cherokee. Jeep-o-philes will disagree but that is what it is. Similar uni-body but with additional stiffness from ladder frame sections....and independant front suspension
21.gif
Legitimate off-roader.

If you are never off road or just seldom a soft-roader, it's a no brainer. You get the Escape. Better road manners, better ride, better mpg from the Duratec than the 3.7 Dodge motor.

If you off-road, you should probably just get a Wrangler. Sure, you get a couple mpg better in a Liberty but c'mon....It's a Wrangler. Need a 4-door? They do that now.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
VUE!
Pick one up with a well-maintained Honda trans & you've got a great, reliable 3.5L v6 that does well on gas on the freeway and can really get moving. Plus they depreciate more than an Escape, so you can get newer and/or less miles for the same price usually. Avoid AWD for simplicity and reliability.

Another good choice...but for some odd reason, I only see the very old ones (02,03) or newer ones (08-09)....not many in the middle...

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Escape, but watch out for the CD4E. When mated to the V6, it's weak. If maintained properly, it will last...but who does that?

Watch out, my friend. You're on BITOG where someone might change fluids.
smile.gif

In 07 my wife and I test drove the 08 Escape and Liberty, and went with the 08 Liberty. I just didn't like the ride or the 4WD system in the Escape. I like the idea of being able to turn on the 4 WD system and have it RWD when its off. The truth is I do like Ford products better than Chrysler, but in this instance I went with the Chrysler product. No regrets. JMO

We have a well maintained 04/05 (I don't remember) Jeep Liberty. It doesn't have the best ride or gas mileage but is fun to drive. It has the feel of a go-cart and is great in the winter. It is blue with 77k. It has had one front wheel bearing replaced during the time (5 years) we have owned it.

Were selling it, if your interested and am located in Chicago.

The Liberty is a tough little SUV, but definitely less car-like than the Escape. The interior and ride of my roommate's '04 isn't much better than that of a Cherokee. It's more suited to real off roading than an Escape though if it has good tires for it (most don't).

The Escape is a better daily driver and about as reliable. It's the sort of vehicle my parents like to rent...comfortable, roomier than a regular car but still small, car-like manners, good in all types of weather as long as you are on a paved road, etc.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: kkreit01

Watch out, my friend. You're on BITOG where someone might change fluids.
smile.gif

Sure, any BITOGer will change the fluids the first weekend, but who knows if the first or second owner ever did (when buying used)? I did a dump & fill at 15k miles when I had mine. Most will just leave it in for 100K -- like the manual says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back