Recommendation Oil/Fuel Add Supercharged Tundra!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 2011 Tundra 5.7 with TRD Supercharger approx 510hp / 550tq.

Initially my first oil change they used conventional as this is what is recommended 5w/20.

5.7L V8 (3UR-FE, 3UR-FBE) engine
Oil grade: ILSAC multigrade engine oil
Recommended viscosity: SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20
SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20 engine oil
may be used. However, SAE
0W-20 is the best choice for
good fuel economy and good
starting in cold weather.

8d1a7cd2.jpg

Now with the supercharger I feel as if I should run synthetic more boost and more power, synthetic will help protect my engine yes?

Also I have been running 93 octane as premium is required absolutely. I just put Chevron 93 in and it has a bit of a ping, but when I run VPOWER it doesn't ping at all..what gives?

I guess I need to know what is a good booster additive I can run every other tank to make sure I am running the best I can. The dealership said everything is checking out fine, via the ECU and the installation is button tight. The truck has 6k on it and I had ran nothing but 87 octane until recently when I got the supercharger, thoughts?

Nice truck! For warranty purposes, does Toyota still recommend a 0/5w-20 with the supercharger? Personally, I'd run a 30 weight oil in your truck. I don't think I've ever seen a car/truck with forced induction recommend anything less than a 30 weight. It is needed usually to protect against the higher temps that occur. Also, run synthetic in your motor for sure. I would consider your engine a performance powerplant, and with the relatively high power density, run a 30 weight synthetic for sure.

Is that a factory supercharger? Obviously it's a TRD but I don't know their products well enough to know if it's an add-on.

I would go for a more stout 0w20 like Renewable Lube's Bio-Syn (HTHS 2.9+) or Redline 0w20 (HTHS 2.7). If you really have money burning a whole in your pocket, there's stuff like Motul 300V 0w20 too (HTHS 2.68). :)

All of the 0w20s I listed are in essence light 0w30s and should resist shearing well.

Gents thanks for your quick responses!!

I cannot find any literature on what TRD recommends with the Supercharger for oil spec, yes its Factory through Toyota and it keeps my original warranty intact!

That is why I came to this great board for thoughts!!

I noticed in the owners manual it states

"If your engine knocks
l Consult your Toyota dealer.
l You may occasionally notice light knocking for a short time while accelerating
or driving uphill. This is normal and there is no need for concern."

I just here it here and there and its only been on Chevron gas I think, I have to definetly keep an eye on it!!!!

Keep the responses coming, btw she runs around 0-60 in 4.7 and 1/4 low to mid 13's
smile.gif

I'm surprised TRD doesn't recommend a particular oil viscosity or type. I would ask the dealer, or maybe call Toyota North America.

I would be afraid to run any resource conserving oil on that setup. Maybe TRD will help with lube recs, I'd give them a call if they say its good to go, then go with it. Is the blower oiled from the engine sump or does it have its own sump? Texas? Hauling stuff? Nothing less than Amsoil ATM 10w-30? RL 5w-30? or Your fav street racing oil in a 30 grade min.

Two more questions: 1) What is your oil sump capacity, and 2) Does your supercharger have it's own small sump within itself, or does it get oiled from a shared sump (aka the same sump your engine uses)?

EDIT: Sorry, ARCO, I realized you had posted this question seconds before I did
smile.gif

Last edited:
Klutch yes I have an oil cooler, that came with the tow package when I got the truck!

As far as the other question's I need to find that out....

P.S. This vehicle rarely will see towing duties, its just the [censored] heat down here!

I'd be scared to run anything less than a 40-weight in that set-up...okay, maybe a 30-weight with a HT/HS over 3.5 (A3)

My first instinct is M1 0W-40 - stout, not too thick, easy to acquire, SN-rated....it'll cover anything.

Im not sure ambient heat is a problem on a WC engine - maybe more engine loading dependent; and that blower is "ON" all the time unlike a hot fan. I'd be looking a 10 dollar a qt real street race synthetic oils - which is pretty much nothing you'll find at Wally world.

Its not a turbo, its a supercharger with its own self contained oiling system.

You can run any full synthetic oil on the shelf at walmart and not worry about it. I would stick with a name brand one.

If the book says 5w20 try a 5w20 or 0w20. This is a tight tolerance engine, you don't need a 40 weight.

Spend the money on a oil analysis and see how the oil is performing.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'd be scared to run anything less than a 40-weight in that set-up...okay, maybe a 30-weight with a HT/HS over 3.5 (A3)

My first instinct is M1 0W-40 - stout, not too thick, easy to acquire, SN-rated....it'll cover anything.

Agreed I'd stay away from 5W-20 in this application, 500Hp puts far more stress on the bearings and pistons than does a NA application... I use M1 0W-40 in my Marauder...

Originally Posted By: JustinH
This is a tight tolerance engine.

Spend the money on a oil analysis and see how the oil is performing.

Oh boy here goes the tight tolerances again... Tolerance means how much variation is allowed in a measurement before it is either too tight or loose, "clearance" is the proper term...

Now do these engines really have tight clearances??? I really doubt any engine does, or some areas would starve for oil when the engine was cold and oil is 15-20X thicker than at operating temps...

That's a big, heavy truck with a big, powerful engine. Do that engine a favor and use a decent 5w-30 at the least.

Mobil 1 0w-40 would get my vote.

Whats boost level? I wouldnt worry much about grade if its just stock boost. Check toyota forum see what other owners running. Love that truck!

Hey guys.... 1st post on this formum.

I've got the same truck... w/ 3,208 miles on it. My TRD supercharger arrived tonight and will be installed on Friday. I see this group recommending Mobil 1 - 0-40w oil.

The TRD Supercharger is a factory approved and warranty covered blower. It uses 1/2 a hp when cruising, idling, or decelerating via a bypass valve. Under boost, it will generate between 6 and 8 psi.... It pushes the stock horsepower from 381 to 504 generating the additional 123 hp around 5400 rpms.

I will be using my S/C Tundra for towing a trailer 8 - 10 times each year. Other than that, my truck will be used to take kids to school, get groceries, and get me down the road.

Is there a different recommendation for another S/C Tundra owner in Houston that WILL be using the truck for some occasional towing.

My trailer is a 24-foot tandem axle trailer w/ Rhino, Kodiak, generator, and toolbox installed - maybe 6,000 pounds.

If you live in Houston, a 5w40 may have better shear protection than a 0w40. That is why many people who use superchargers or turbos use it.

Anti ping fuel adds? Be sure that the one you buy has no MMT, because that shortens the life of O2 sensors.

Originally Posted By: blitz16v
I drive a 2011 Tundra 5.7 with TRD Supercharger approx 510hp / 550tq.

Initially my first oil change they used conventional as this is what is recommended 5w/20.

5.7L V8 (3UR-FE, 3UR-FBE) engine
Oil grade: ILSAC multigrade engine oil
Recommended viscosity: SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20
SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20 engine oil
may be used. However, SAE
0W-20 is the best choice for
good fuel economy and good
starting in cold weather.

8d1a7cd2.jpg

Now with the supercharger I feel as if I should run synthetic more boost and more power, synthetic will help protect my engine yes?

Also I have been running 93 octane as premium is required absolutely. I just put Chevron 93 in and it has a bit of a ping, but when I run VPOWER it doesn't ping at all..what gives?

I guess I need to know what is a good booster additive I can run every other tank to make sure I am running the best I can. The dealership said everything is checking out fine, via the ECU and the installation is button tight. The truck has 6k on it and I had ran nothing but 87 octane until recently when I got the supercharger, thoughts?

I agree with others that the Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula is a wise oil choice. A mix including a quart or two of 15W-50 may be better because of its resistance to shear forces and its ability to remain on the metal components after shutdown. The suggestion to use M1 5W-40 Turbo Truck is a good one because that oil has ester in it as well as PAO. See Material data Sheet.

The Japanese are into recommending very thin oil because that is what they put into their vehicles from the factory to help with emissions and also with fleet fuel mileage. There is politics involved, not engineering. Someone living in Florida doesn't need an 0W or even a 5W for that matter.

The Germans make great cars and they do not recommend 0W-20 but 0W-40 instead. I think the German manufacturers have got it right.

Mobil recommends 0W-40 and 15W-50 for "street racers" and applications that involve heavy hauling up long grades. The start value of 0W-20 cannot be argued, but I have noticed that engines using oil that light have more valve train noise than engines using a bit higher grade on the second number. 0W-20 would be fine if you never tromp on the throttle or push the motor, IMO.

You do not void your warranty by using a different viscosity than 0W-20. Under Federal Law, if Toyota chooses to void your warranty unless you use a specific oil, then they have to provide that oil and service free of charge. If you have to pay for oil changes, you can do whatever you want within the realm of engineering common sense.

Buy a case of 5W-20 and keep it at home. Save your receipt and if it ever comes up, show the 5W-20 receipt you have if that makes you more comfortable.

Practically all modern engines have comparable levels of tolerance between their components. Many of the recommendations have to do with emissions, politics, and just opinions, not science.

If you want a certain measure of extra confidence with your rig, seriously consider using LubroMoly in the crankcase along with the oil. With that kind of power generation, you have to be concerned with oil shear conditions due to the pressures created and an 0W-20 or 5W-20 would not be the oil of choice for those conditions.

Personally I have found that Shell's V-Power Regular gasoline runs as well in my Premium Gas Nissan Pathfinder as other Premium Fuels. It was quite a surprise and now I just get Shell Regular grade of fuel. No pinging yet the "compression" is above 10:1 for premium fuel.

Last edited:
In this case I would run a 0w20 that has a a3/b4 rating ( the are rare but I use them )

nice truck you have!!! congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back