Conventional 5w30 in Phoenix in the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks
smile.gif
I think I'm going to try the Nextgen Maxlife 5w30 and see how it goes. It seems like good stuff, there are good rebates out there on the 5qt. jugs and I am a fan of recycling.

I run the Motorcraft 5w20 in my wife's Prius. Everyone seems to love that stuff, not sure the 5w30 is quite as good. Alas, it is over $4 a quart now which puts it into competition with any full synthetic that is on sale, so no moolah to be saved by using it...

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
In a long drain yes 10-30 wont shear as much but out here dont be scared to run a 5w oil. Put it this way, i have a friend that is the shop foreman for AAA Yellow Cab and the only oil they use is Formula Shell 5-30 with 6000k OCI. Every car they have on the road has 250K+++ miles on them. I do agree Motorcraft Syn Blend is a fabulous product, but for the OCI your planning Dino or syn blend will give you equal protection. It doesnt happen often but I know where I live ( south Gilbert ) last winter we did see some Lows in the teens. This is where i'd want 5w.

With that leak you may consider a High mileage oil. 10w and 5w will all leak the same. The difference is so very little. With the OCI you are planning you will not see any better protection from Dino to Syn. The major advantage to syn is the ability for extended drains. It always helps to once a week put that car on the freeway for a couple of miles. Motor oil isn't the only item that benefits from a good heat cycle

Been running 5W30 conventional motor oil in my 97 Accord for past 10 years in Phoenix. I just switched over to Mobile Super HM 5W30 to see if it can eliminate or slow down a rear main seal leak.

Looking at this, spec sheet for Nextgen Maxlife, doesn't it basically say that the 5w30 is better than the 10w30 in almost every parameter? Also, based on the text Nextgen or at least the Maxlife version is synthetic blend. I wonder if it is intentional or because the recycled portion is a mix of dino and synthetic oils... I am pretty set on trying the 5w30 for at least my next oil change, along with a Pure One PL14460.

Doug

Last edited:
With low mileage, I would just put 5w-30 and forget about it. Nowadays 5w-30 is great and many can stand turbo engine, and it will help a bit with mpg and less thing to worry if you drive into cold weather area

Kinda funny, this is what Valvoline said when I used their "contact us" form:

"Thank you for your question Doug. Living in Phoenix a 10w30 will be perfectly acceptable to use in your Subaru. The only time your vehicle will notice a difference is in temperatures below zero. Provided your vehicle stays in Phoenix, you should never have a need to use 5w30."

Maybe I should have asked if there was any reason I shouldn't just use the 5w30. Based on the specs (and I'm not well versed in oil geekery), it looks to me like the 5w30 is better all around...

Originally Posted By: dvancleve
Looking at this, spec sheet for Nextgen Maxlife, doesn't it basically say that the 5w30 is better than the 10w30 in almost every parameter? Also, based on the text Nextgen or at least the Maxlife version is synthetic blend. I wonder if it is intentional or because the recycled portion is a mix of dino and synthetic oils... I am pretty set on trying the 5w30 for at least my next oil change, along with a Pure One PL14460.

Doug

My comments are whatever I said on the Outback forum and whatever I said at nasioc. What web sites am I missing?
lol.gif

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back